Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm really digging the new Regina Spektor track! :grinthumb

Screen-shot-2012-01-16-at-3.43.10-PM.png

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Very cool song! Especially that intro... WOW! The song reminds me of Apres Moi which is one of my favorites of hers so you know I like it. Also got some old school delivery on there, her vocalizing sounds very Songs-era iyam, especially "all the rowboats... oil paintings."

Kind of a melancholy song though. I feel like Far was very sober and not as much fun as her earlier albums. I adore Far, it's actually one of my favorites, but I'm hoping for some new tracks closer to On The Radio, Hotel Song, Your Honor, or Aching to Pupate.

Wasn't much of anything like that on Far. Closest would be something like Folding Chair which was free-spirited but more serene than fun. Folding Chair is a really incredible song, feels like she's sitting in a rocking chair with glazed eyes glancing over her life with sincere contentment. That's just the kind of mood the whole album gives me.

Far came out not long after she had spent a period in the hospital so I feel like she may have written a lot of those songs from a hospital bed. I'm hoping for some livelier, more action oriented tracks next time around. Or maybe she's just grown into more of a contemplative singing style, maybe she's too old for the cutesy bouncy tracks.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
After reading the Title of Cosmic's thread I am curious when Regina surpassed Tchaikovsky as the most popular Russian musician/composer of all time?

Just avving some fun with you Cosmic...I'll have to catch up with her later when I have more time.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've been getting into her more and more, the more songs I hear. What's BUGGING me is that I can't find all her works on the store shelves. I mean even Best Buy by me carries NONE!

I always assumed that she was mainstream enough to be front and center at the larger retailers. I mean, my Best Buy has some pretty obscure stuff too.

:bonk:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I have gotten Tom Waits, Portugal. The Man, and Noah & the Whale at my local Best Buy so you would think they would at least hae "Begin to Hope" or "Far". :think:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
See? I don't get that because PTM has only landed on Billboard twice at #81 and #42 whereas Regina has actual hit songs and albums to her name. :confused:

That said, you should still definitely pick up all of the Portugal. The Man albums that they have there. Just saying..... ;)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online