QUEEN To Headline Sonisphere 2012 with Adam Lambert

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I don't get people. Deep Purple, The Who, Black Sabbath, Boston, and countless other change have made tremendous changes in their lineups over the years but people always shit themselves whenever anyone else sings in Queen because no matter the band says people are always convinced that they are trying to replace Freddie and are so dramatic about it. I mean, I think of anyone on the planet Roger and Brian know that you can't replace Freddie.

If anyone should be getting slammed for working with different singers it should be Carlos Santana. His resume includes Scott Stapp of Creed, Daughtry, Jacoby Shaddix from Papa Roach, rapper Nas, Dave Mattews, Dido, Will.i.am from the Black Eyes Peas, Bo Bice, Sean Paul, Chad Kroeger from Nickelback, and so many other people who are much larger sins among classic rock artists than Adam Lambert. :rolleyes:

Well said:)

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I get your point Cosmic..but :( This makes me VERY sad..Adam is NOT the best choice..there are others..I don't like his voice..I don't like him..

this only makes me miss Freddie even more..
No , no one can replace Fred, we get this..but why torture us with GaGA ..Lambert..?

I would totally be ok with few other choices..but it just seems like Brian doesn't give a crap anymore..so I why should I ?

I love you Brian but..I just don't see it..

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
CH, do you remember those God awful songs Santana did with Rob Thomas about a decade ago? :bonk:

And as for the LZ reunion tour I think Jimmy is still interested but hasn't quite found a vocalist to live up to his standards. Even Steven Tyler tried out for that one.

As for Lambert, I see no big deal with it. We had all discussed before that there are no "sacred cows" of music and there's no one band or artist that is untouchable. Maybe just don't call it Queen. "Queen + Adam Lambert"... there you go.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
As for Lambert, I see no big deal with it. We had all discussed before that there are no "sacred cows" of music and there's no one band or artist that is untouchable. Maybe just don't call it Queen. "Queen + Adam Lambert"... there you go.

Yes , there ARE and Queen /Freddie are one..

:(

Not everyone is SOOO deserate to hear Queen music that they will settle for WHO ever gets up there..

Whatever...why bother with Classic Rock if it is a free for all ?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I get your point Cosmic..but :( This makes me VERY sad..Adam is NOT the best choice..there are others..I don't like his voice..I don't like him..

Do I think there are people who are better suited for singing Queen songs than Adam Lambert? Sure but Queen is a globally beloved band and the fact of the matter is that with a reputation that huge you need someone who a consummate showman/woman and can command a crowd as well as sing their butt off. So I think it's the right choice to go with someone who is an established star rather than plucking someone who might musically fit the bill better but is on a vastly smaller scale than the Queen name and can't handle crowds of their magnitude.

CH, do you remember those God awful songs Santana did with Rob Thomas about a decade ago? :bonk:

Yes I do and I don't mind Rob Thomas but if I never hear "Smooth" again I won't complain. :D

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I've said this before, but personally for me I don't think any band should continue on without the high profile lead singer that made them famous, like...Journey, Boston etc. It's that voice that was a main reason for why the bands were/are so wildly popular. It's different if it's a member of the band that plays an instrument because that sound can be more easily duplicated. But a lead singer is too distinctive. If they do decide to continue on, then change the band name to Queen II or Journey II or something. Just my opinion and I know some people will disagree with it.

Pretty much agree with a lot of that Jackie, though I'd maybe not go quite as far as that myself, we'd have been deprived of some phenomenal music if Floyd had quit after Waters left, and Genesis had quit after Gabriel left, though my main beef as I have said before is with bands who blatantly continue to ruthlessly cash in on past glories entirely for monetary gain, but with no additional new ideas or creativity coming from them, so they just basically become a stale museum piece, and a concert hall 'Greatest Hits' show. Skynyrd are a band I always really admire as they came back after the band were almost wiped out in a plane crash, and they had to change personnel, but they kept on writing some great new material, instead of just touring around with a 'Ronnie Van Zant Memorial Tour' for the next 30 years, which they could easily have done. It's not like I had some urge for Paul Rogers - who has one of the great voices in all rock - to grow a moustache and start wearing a leotard when he joined May and Taylor, but talented musicians like Taylor and May could easily have made a completely fresh start together, even if Deacon wasn't on board, and made some more great records by now. I had to Google Adam Lambert, then I recognised him from American Idol, to be fair as I recall he's about the only guy I can ever remember on one of those reality TV talent shows who got up and sang Led Zep and Steppenwolf in front of Simon Cowell, so he has guts.

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with a lot of that Jackie, though I'd maybe not go quite as far as that myself, we'd have been deprived of some phenomenal music if Floyd had quit after Waters left, and Genesis had quit after Gabriel left, though my main beef as I have said before is with bands who blatantly continue to ruthlessly cash in on past glories entirely for monetary gain, but with no additional new ideas or creativity coming from them, so they just basically become a concert hall 'Greatest Hits' show. Skynyrd are a band I always really admire as they came back after the band were almost wiped out in a plane crash, and they had to change personnel, but they kept on writing some great new material, instead of just touring around with a 'Ronnie Van Zant Memorial Tour' for the next 30 years, which they could easily have done. It's not like I had some urge for Paul Rogers - who has one of the great voices in all rock - to grow a moustache and start wearing a leotard when he joined May and Taylor, but talented musicians like Taylor and May could easily have made a completely fresh start together, even if Deacon wasn't on board, and made some more great records by now. I had to Google Adam Lambert, then I recognised him from American Idol, to be fair as I recall he's about the only guy I can ever remember on one of those reality TV talent shows who got up and sang Led Zep and Steppenwolf in front of Simon Cowell, so he has guts.

There are definitely exceptions, but Pink Floyd was best with Waters and Phil Collins was already a part of Genesis. My main beef about it is when a band re-emerges after a long hiatus, sticks someone out in front that sounds similar to the original lead and then like you said makes it some sort of reunion band and just trying to make the bank account go up. I also feel that some artists need to earn an inflated status. I don't know, I see everyone's point but I'd be more apt to buy an old Queen album that I may not have, than buying a new one with great new material that Adam Lambert is singing on.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
There are definitely exceptions, but Pink Floyd was best with Waters and Phil Collins was already a part of Genesis. My main beef about it is when a band re-emerges after a long hiatus, sticks someone out in front that sounds similar to the original lead and then like you said makes it some sort of reunion band and just trying to make the bank account go up. I also feel that some artists need to earn an inflated status. I don't know, I see everyone's point but I'd be more apt to buy an old Queen album that I may not have, than buying a new one with great new material that Adam Lambert is singing on.

Funny that my two favourite Floyd albums are Division Bell and Momentary Lapse, seriously!!!! I guarantee I'm the only Floyd fan on earth who thinks that, well, maybe me and Dave Gilmour's mum anyway! Ditto Genesis with Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, and Then There Were Three. Queen made some of the most amazing music in pop/rock history, but I wouldn't even pay a dollar to see them without Freddie even if they threw in a backstage pass.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
My biggest problem with this, goes beyond picking up dorky little Adam Lambert to do this, but rather that the remaining members of Queen, 20 years later, have yet to figure out how to just hang it up and rest on their laurels ... or go do something else.

They gave it a good go with a world-class front man in Paul Rodgers and if that isn't going to work, I'm not sure anything will. As everyone knows, Freddie was one of a kind and I wish they'd just leave his memory and the memory of their former greatness to rest.

*sigh*

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online