Progressive Instrumental Recommendations??

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Please give me some Prog instrumentals to check out!!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will give you guys a recommendation:

Liquid Tension Experiment 2
(note that the album cover is the wrong one for the song :D This is the album cover:

LiquidTensionExp2.jpg

Very nice production. Easy on the ears, too.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
I have this Tortoise CD ... I've listended to it maybe a half dozen times and I'm not impressed but will listen to it again to see if I like it any better.

cover_54537412006.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have this Tortoise CD ... I've listended to it maybe a half dozen times and I'm not impressed but will listen to it again to see if I like it any better.

cover_54537412006.jpg

is it instrumental, Flower? I dont want anything with vocals :D ( I dont know this group, BTW)

Flower

retired
Reaction score
I don't recall if there are any vocals but here's a review which might help from Ink Blot Magazine~

Tortoise
Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Thrill Jockey, Released 1996

American indie rock, at its best, tinkers with our concept of the song - deconstructing melodies, chopping up rhythms and generally throwing spanners in the works of its classic rock ancestors.

Tortoise's Millions Now Living Will Never Die may be remembered as the indie album that threw away the song completely. More interested in grooves and expression than verses and choruses, its instrumental passages incorporate "rock" instrumentation (drums, guitar, bass...er, vibraphone) with a remix ethic, sometimes slipping into a loose jam before warping through hip-hop scratching and fractured samples.

There's not much point in differentiating between the tracks; suffice it to say that "Djed" is the really long one at the beginning and "Along the Banks of Rivers" is the doomed Russian romance soundtrack at the end. With extra bubbly noises. It doesn't matter, because Tortoise weave their elemental vibe (and vibes) throughout the album, reinventing their sound across and within individual songs.

These techniques aren't revolutionary - jazz, krautrock and techno have utilised them for years - but Tortoise mix them into a groove that's all their own. Most importantly, their tinkering never strips the emotion from the music, which is probably why Millions Now Living... struck a nerve with a generation of indie rockers suspicious of anyone with a sampler.

If you like Tortoise, check out:
Tortoise TNT
Red Snapper Prince Blimey
Paul Newman Machine Is Not Broken
Trans Am Surrender to the Night
Tortoise + The Ex In The Fishtank
The Dylan Group it's all about (rimshots and faulty wiring)

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
Progressive instrumental eh? There are a LOT of different "flavors" so to speak. Liquid Tension is the contemporary wanky "fusion" type. I have both 1 and 2 on disc. I think that consists of members of Dream Theater along with Tony Levin if I'm not mistaken.

Two absolute classic instrumental fusion albums are The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Inner Mounting Flame" and Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" albums. Alphonse Mouzon's "Mind Transplant" is also really good. It's interesting to consider that Tommy Bolin plays on both those last two albums. He did stuff with The James Gang and Deep Purple so he's by nature a very Rock oriented player. The Inner Mounting Flame may be the ultimate Jazz/Rock fusion album of all time.

There are a LOT of other varieties though when you state "Progressive". Have you heard the album Hocus Pocus by the group Focus?

Movie Soundtracks can be pretty cool and moody. Lots of good Italian stuff there abouts. The soundtrack to the French movie Fantastic Planet is "out there".

There is also a ton of REALLY great contemporary psychedelic/progressive instrumental offerings available too. Have you heard Ozric Tentacles? How about Pelican?

Most of the German/UK/Swiss & Scandinavian progressive groups from the
7os did songs that were a good 10 minutes long each and contained monstrous amounts of excellent progressive instrumental arrangements.

Satin Whale were an AMAZING group. If you get the opportunity, check out an unbelievable album from the Swiss group Krokodil called "An Invisible World Revealed" It's a guaranteed mind blower for certain.

Of course there are all the contemporary guitar/bass/drum wanker virtuosos too. I am certain you have heard a great deal of Joe Satriani's stuff.

There is a label called Tone Center that has some really monstrous material from all sorts of virtuoso combined artists and their subsequent efforts.

Help me to tune in a little more so specifically with respect for the "vibe" you are after.

If you like Liquid Tension Experiment, possibly check out Derek Sherinian's Planet X too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online