Progressive Instrumental Recommendations??

eccentric man

Reaction score
which album is best for instrumentals?

all their material is instrumental. i think they might have 3 songs total with 'vocals'. the album Flower lists is a very early one. it's well regarded by critics but not my favourite (especially not the 20 minute track that doesn't really go anywhere). personally i'd suggest starting with either TNT, Standards, or Beacons of Ancestorship.

TNT has a bit more of an ambient electronic feel at times with some tracks being just drum machines and marimbas / xylophones. but overall it's nice and melodic.

Standards is a little more jarring, heavier beats, faster riffs.

Beacons of Ancestorship combines the best elements of both to my ears. fast heavy beats, smooth melodies, and interesting soundscapes to tie the beefier numbers on the album together. it's my favourite release by the group.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's two:

:****:

Green Onions is Outstanding! Thanks Hepcat :)

all their material is instrumental. i think they might have 3 songs total with 'vocals'. the album Flower lists is a very early one. it's well regarded by critics but not my favourite (especially not the 20 minute track that doesn't really go anywhere). personally i'd suggest starting with either TNT, Standards, or Beacons of Ancestorship.

TNT has a bit more of an ambient electronic feel at times with some tracks being just drum machines and marimbas / xylophones. but overall it's nice and melodic.

Standards is a little more jarring, heavier beats, faster riffs.

Beacons of Ancestorship combines the best elements of both to my ears. fast heavy beats, smooth melodies, and interesting soundscapes to tie the beefier numbers on the album together. it's my favourite release by the group.

I will start with Beacons of Ancestorship! Thanks EccM :) I will let ya know how I like it after I give it a good listen.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
"Apricot Brandy" from this album:

Rhinoceros-Rhinoceros-400824.jpg

:****:

[

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I like Tortoise. both these albums are fantastic:

tortoise-tnt_album_cover1.jpg
This TNT cover does the album no justice.

thrill210_trts_lp.jpg

Beacons of Ancestorship cover really needs some color!

Their album covers are terrible, though :D

eccentric man

Reaction score
i seem to remember an old saying. something about passing judgments and covers. can't quite remember how it goes at the moment hahaha

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Don't judge a book by it's cover...:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.