Porcupine Tree (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
You nailed it Prime, "dull and dragged out". After three listens and three naps after the fact that was enough for me. PT is one of my fav bands from the last 20 years but Wilson's other projects don't do anything for me. The atmosphere is even dead on this album as usually he can capture my attention with his production. "Stars Die".

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
You nailed it Prime, "dull and dragged out". After three listens and three naps after the fact that was enough for me. PT is one of my fav bands from the last 20 years but Wilson's other projects don't do anything for me. The atmosphere is even dead on this album as usually he can capture my attention with his production. "Stars Die".

Yeah, I hold Porcupine Tree very high in terms of bands that I love. They're extraordinarily talented, and so is Wilson. Definitely one of my top ten musicians right now.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In Absentia is a fantastic album for me to have started off with in regards to introducing myself to this band. Really nice flow to the music.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
^Good to hear you are enjoying them Riff. As Joe stated earlier in the thread, and I agree, they are one of my favorite bands in the past 10-20 years. Steven Wilson is a brilliant vocalist.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the music too, it just flows perfectly from song to song, I like how some prog bands don't really outro one song, they let it just flow into the next track.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
^Yeah, I like it when prog bands or any genre does that. It allows the album altogether to flow better.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tell you what this album just blew me the **** away, albums lately not necessarily from 2011 but just purchases in general have rarely had that effect but this one did, Opeth did, now Dream Theater does. Prog music has really become a huge impact on my music taste.
Very passionately happy to have discovered this band too.

joe

Reaction score
I haven't rated many albums five stars from the last 20 years. In Absentia is exemplary.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What other albums of theirs would you recommend?

joe

Reaction score
What other albums of theirs would you recommend?

I would try Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and Deadwing as it is more in the vein of In Absentia. Fear Of The Blank Planet moves more away from the heavy prog/prog metal of the previous three I mentioned but none the less an excellent album. Signify and The Sky Moves Sideways are more of a space/psych rock influenced by Pink Floyd. Both albums are excellent but it might not be to your taste Riff.

I don't think any of the other Steven Wilson projects would be to your liking.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online