Porcupine Tree (Official Thread)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yeah SDM, I need to get Lightbulb Sun maybe next.

Was listening to Fear of a Blank Planet over the last couple of days. Great album but so damn depressing! This could probably be said for quite a bit of their work though.

By the way, I always change the lyrics in the opening track slightly when I sing along.

My friend says he wants to die
He's in a band, a chain metal gang
The clothes are all black
The music is crap

I don't like Pearl Jam getting dissed! :D

gguerra

Reaction score
Just recently "discovered" PT within the last few months.. I love them.

A few favorites so far

Stars Die
Halo
Shallow
Radioactive Toy
Up the Downstair
Synesthesia
Trains
Lightbulb Sun
Sentimental
Cloud Zero

In Absentia and Deadwing are probably their best works IMO

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Also check out The Sky Moves Sideways album. Title track alone is beautifully melancholic in nature. Great flow.

Steven Wilson is a freakin genius at all sorts of prog writing but especially when he goes ambient.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I've been listening to In Absentia again over the last couple of days. It is probably THE most celebrated modern day PT album but I never quite got the hype about it. I always much preferred Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet to In Absentia. I used to sometimes listen to Blackest Eyes and Trains (both I absolutely love!) and then switch off the CD. Lips Of Ashes doesn't do much for me. Gravity Eyelids is okay. But today I suddenly rediscovered Prodigal and .3. Two superb compositions in the middle of the album! As of now I'm still not bowled over by this album or anything but I'm trying to give it another chance. Also, The Creator Has A Mastertape is phenomenal! What a unique sounding track!

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
I've been listening to In Absentia again over the last couple of days. It is probably THE most celebrated modern day PT album but I never quite got the hype about it. I always much preferred Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet to In Absentia.

in absentia was the one that got me into tree. it's interesting... *i* kinda think of in absentia and deadwing as being, how to put it, bookends? two parts? thing 1 and thing 2? the double album that never was?

i have a tendency to say the same thing fifty times, by the way.

but i'm such a tree fanatic, it's pretty much allll good to me. earlier today, i was listening to this:

yeah, a tad of a smidgen on the utterly bleak side (mwhahaha).. but ohhhh, that gweetar.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Not familiar with the live version but I love the studio version of Radioactive Toy.

I need to listen to the Delirium Years compilation CD again. It's been ages!

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
Not familiar with the live version but I love the studio version of Radioactive Toy.

you should give the above clip a spin. i love it better than the studio version.

I need to listen to the Delirium Years compilation CD again. It's been ages!

not a bad idea at all. i think i'll join ya. mwhaha. (i've suddenly got 'dark matter' runnin thru my brain.)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On The Sunday of Life the first album reminds me a lot of the 70s Pink Floyd with the ambient effects during the songs. Really great stuff.

gguerra

Reaction score
No that we are on the subject of 70's Pink Floyd, here is a song by a group that supposedly was/is an influence on Steven Wilson and much resembles PF

If I didn't know any better I would swear it WAS Pink Floyd

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online