Porcupine Tree (Official Thread)

theleafs

Reaction score

You've got to hear these guys

Their new Cd "Deadwing " is brilliant...prog with great guitar riffage.

Also check out spin-off band "Blackfield, PT's side project -great vocal harmonies and stunning production

EB_porcupine_Grand.jpg

Porcupine Tree Official Website
Blackfield Official Site
Porcupine Tree Wikipedia

Current members
Steven Wilson – vocals, guitars, piano, synthesisers, hammer dulcimer, banjo, sampler, various instruments (1987–present)
Richard Barbieri – keyboards, synthesisers, piano and sound processing (1993–present)
Colin Edwin – bass guitar, double bass (1993–present)
Gavin Harrison – drums and percussion (2002–present)

Discography:
1991 On the Sunday of Life
1993 Up the Downstair
1995 The Sky Moves Sideways
1996 Signify
1999 Stupid Dream
2000 Lightbulb Sun
2002 In Absentia
2005 Deadwing
2007 Fear of a Blank Planet
2009 The Incident

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombeels

Reaction score
Re: Porcupine Tree

I have In Absentia. Doesn't it have one of the best album covers you've ever seen?

30at82w.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:bump:

I am a prog fan. I love this band. In Absentia and Deadwing are excellent albums. I haven't listened to all of their newest release, Fear of a Blank Planet, but the couple songs I have heard are fantastic as well.

They have a strong influence from Tangerine Dream and Pink Floyd, which is probably why they have such a psychedelic and electronic mix of sounds.

Steven Wilson, the founder of Porcupine Tree, is also a gifted producer. He is the producer of Opeth.

If you really want to hear some strange and ambient works from Wilson, check out No man or Incredible Expanding Mindf***. These two projects explore alot of ambient, psychedelic, and experimental stuff.

Edit: Porcupine Tree isn't a new rock band. They have been around since 1987.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have all of PT's albums, so I am a big fan of theirs, and I have been a Prog/Rock fan from the early 70's so that's not a big surprise.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Either I heard all their wimpier songs or PT are OVERRated...my op of course :):)

killer tofu

Reaction score

I adore Porcupine Tree. I find myself listening to them all the time.

When it comes to PT's "two sounds" I can't really pick a favorite. I love the psychedelic jams of the earlier stuff, but I also love the metal inspired sound that Steven Wilson seems to favor these days.

Honestly, one of the more perfect bands out there. I haven't really heard anything I haven't liked. Some of it I have to be in the right mood for, but I'll listen to most of it any time, any where.

Zombeels

Reaction score

Damn...Someone stole my Scooter. I found the scooter later but I had 3 Cds under the seat that were taken. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Love - Forever Changes (Deluxe Edition and The 88 - Kind Of Light.

Mr. Flee

Reaction score

great band...have all pt cd's but i personaly prefer their earlier stuff like sky moves sideways and lightbulb sun
the new cd,a double one, is coming out sept 21st and is called "the incident"cd 1 contains only one track of 55 minutes!

rockout475

Reaction score

I love Those guys. Esp Blackest Eyes, the drums in that song are fantastic!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online