Pink Floyd Reportedly Set to Release New Album This Fall

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Pink-Floyd-Jo-Hale.jpg

It has long been believed that Pink Floyd broke up for good following the tour in support of 1994′s ‘The Division Bell.’ However, earlier today it was declared that they are working on a new album, with a release date scheduled for the fall.

Although there is no official announcement, the news comes via a seemingly reliable source. Polly Samson, who is David Gilmour‘s wife and who contributed lyrics to ‘The Division Bell,’ tweeted the following this morning (July 5). “Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called ‘The Endless River.’ Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright‘s swansong and very beautiful.” Wright died in 2008 at the age of 65 after a bout with cancer. (Note: Samson’s Twitter account is unverified.)

Pink Floyd Reportedly Set to Release New Album This Fall

therocker696

Reaction score
I hope this is true!

Pink Floyd has been one of first classic rock bands i listened and i would really love to hear them again whether with or without Rick, though he was core of the band together with David IMO.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I'm finding it hard to believe this, as much as I would be over the freaking moon if this happens.

Polly Samson's twitter account is unverified, the article says.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
There's no mention of Roger or Nick anywhere.

Division Bell was an amazing album, but I think I'd only like to see all 3 members now.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
As I understand it there will be an announcement on Monday. But this will not be new material. It looks as if it will basically be stuff that wasn't used for The Division Bell. Still good news though, if true.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I agree with JTG - I'd be extremely surprised to see completely new material released under the Pink Floyd name. I still can't quite imagine Waters and Gilmour working together on a project, and I doubt Waters would want to work on the same project as Polly Samson (in light of his dismissive comments about The Division Bell's writing). If they are working together again, this is major news and I'd expect this to be mentioned in advance. Rick Wright's death (bless his soul) also makes all new Floyd seem unlikely.

By contrast, David Gilmour releasing previously unheard music from the Division bell era seems much more likely, given the recent 20th anniversary of the album and the new music video for Marooned. Also, 'The Endless River' is a lyric from High Hopes, which is of course on The Division Bell - I don't think this is a coincidence (I suspect this may be rather like how the belated live album of The Wall was named 'Is There Anybody Out There', or even the Echoes compilation album).

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
I find this extremely hard to believe. I'm taking this news with a grain of salt...

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I thought April 1st was a few months ago but I guess I was wrong...

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
This is from the 'Brain Damage' site which, in my experience, is highly reliable.

Saturday, 05 July 2014

Pink Floyd recording The Division BellTweeted on Polly Samson's Twitter feed is the rather unexpected but incredibly welcome news of a new Pink Floyd album. She revealed that it is called "The Endless River" and is based on sessions recorded in 1994 - which were for The Division Bell.

She also notes that it "is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful". The singer Durga McBroom-Hudson also expands on this, by stating the recent picture of David Gilmour in the studio with her (Durga), along with Sarah Brown and Louise Clare Marshall was not in actual fact from the recording sessions of David's new work, but from the sessions working on completing The Endless River (although this is not confirmed).

There were a number of comments from people concerning the lack of any outtakes in The Division Bell 20th anniversary boxset (particularly as the existence of some instrumental recordings - commonly known as The Big Spliff - has been known for many years and has moved into the stuff of legend and the odd dodgy download). Clearly, it seems, plans had been afoot for a standalone release for some time, which should please those who are only after these recordings so they don't have to buy a full box set just for this CD. Needless to say, this should prove incredibly popular and we expect demand to be very high.

More details, including ordering details and more, to come as soon as we have them.

UPDATE, 6th July: In today's The Sun on Sunday UK newspaper, under the tagline of 'Pigs Fly Again', is a report on the new album. Whilst none of their information is confirmed, and seems to come from an unnamed "source close to the project", there are some interesting updates. Included in the report they note that David and Nick have been working on this in the studio over the past six months, and that the material (sitting in a vault in London's Abbey Road Studios) has "been a joy for [them] to rediscover". They also make the point that Roger Waters is not involved in the project - a question we've had from a number of you. A spokesman for the band also stresses that there will be no accompanying live tour, although these last two points won't come as a surprise to many of you.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.