Pink Floyd Reportedly Set to Release New Album This Fall

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I am not sure if this new "album" is all outtakes or what... Apparently it contains material from "The Big Spliff", atmospheric stuff Mason, Wright and Gilmour have been working on since the end of the Division Bell tour. To me, that sounds more like fresh material... :huh:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I know what you mean. But the truth is that if they had included these outtakes in that overpriced Division Bell box set, I sure as hell wouldn't have bought it. If it is released as a separate item titled The Endless River, there's much more chance of my wallet being able to afford the damn thing! :D

But yea, why market/tweet it as a new album when it is only outtakes from a previous album? Maybe we're jumping the gun and should wait for more details. lol.

But even releasing it on the box set, fans like us who don't want the whole thing can still buy it separately. Generally exciting material like that will be released separately as a single disc, after the box set has come out or sometimes even simultaneously. Like CSNY have a new 4-disc live album coming out tomorrow, but they also have a single disc "Selections" version for casual fans. And in the digital age you can just pick whichever tracks you want anyway, that's what I've done with the huge Nirvana remaster box sets that have been coming out. I hate to say it but the only logical reason to release this as a new Pink Floyd album is $$$$$.

But you're right, new details will emerge and maybe it won't be marketed as a new Pink Floyd album, or it may even be released as part of a non-box-set version of the Division Bell.

LG, you're definitely right about Dave & Rog. My issue really isn't that they should have Rog on the album, but that without Roger they shouldn't call it a Pink Floyd album. No reason it couldn't have been a companion disc to Division Bell.

I know they themselves would never see it this way, but the way I see it... Roger had his time controlling the band, and Dave had his. They can leave it at that and be even. To do a new Roger-less Floyd project is adding salt to the wounds and I thought they had matured beyond that.

I am not sure if this new "album" is all outtakes or what... Apparently it contains material from "The Big Spliff", atmospheric stuff Mason, Wright and Gilmour have been working on since the end of the Division Bell tour. To me, that sounds more like fresh material... :huh:

More conclusive information is bound to come out... But if I read the articles correctly, the material was worked on during The Division Bell sessions and the material known as The Big Spliff was actually being performed live before the album even came out. But they've gone into the studio this year and have been adding to the tracks, so it's possible there could be brand new compositions in there. Or that some of the material was from after the Division Bell. I think The Big Spliff is probably just a name given by bootleggers to the material, I doubt Floyd would name anything that, they've never been that transparent about drugs.

Last edited:

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I know they themselves would never see it this way, but the way I see it... Roger had his time controlling the band, and Dave had his. They can leave it at that and be even. To do a new Roger-less Floyd project is adding salt to the wounds and I thought they had matured beyond that.

The way I've always understood their story was... Roger completely dominated the band during the Wall sessions and especially the Final Cut which was practically a Waters solo album. Whereas with Gilmour, it was more of a collaborative effort between him, Rick Wright, Polly Samson and Nick Mason. I don't see how Gilmour had his time of domination, unless I'm understanding their story wrong.

Sorry, I've always been more of a Gilmour fan. I cannot stand the Final Cut all that much. :p

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
If Roger invited David to collaborate on a couple tracks on one of his solo albums and then David reciprocated then I would have some faint glimmer of hope that just maybe......they would do one more Pink Floyd album and dedicate it to Richard Wright. I know Nick Mason gets overlooked in all this but he's on record as being on good terms with both his old bandmates and would enjoy making new music again.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
The way I've always understood their story was... Roger completely dominated the band during the Wall sessions and especially the Final Cut which was practically a Waters solo album. Whereas with Gilmour, it was more of a collaborative effort between him, Rick Wright, Polly Samson and Nick Mason. I don't see how Gilmour had his time of domination, unless I'm understanding their story wrong.

Sorry, I've always been more of a Gilmour fan. I cannot stand the Final Cut all that much. :p

You're completely right, I meant it specifically in terms of Roger vs. Gilmour. Roger had his albums where he controlled the band, and Gilmour had his albums where Roger wasn't even involved at all, that sounds pretty darn even to me.

But I'm a Roger fan %10,000 so perhaps I'm biased.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You're completely right, I meant it specifically in terms of Roger vs. Gilmour. Roger had his albums where he controlled the band, and Gilmour had his albums where Roger wasn't even involved at all, that sounds pretty darn even to me.

But I'm a Roger fan %10,000 so perhaps I'm biased.

I like both Roger and David a lot and respect them but I enjoy David's solo material a lot more, Roger is so dark all the time and his music reflects that. The things that happened during and after The Wall set the framework for what happened next.

I am just happy with the music PF made after the split really surprised me and I'll always have the opinion the band had big smiles on their faces recording them.:D

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I like both Roger and David a lot and respect them but I enjoy David's solo material a lot more, Roger is so dark all the time and his music reflects that.

That is exactly my opinion too. It is not that I don't respect Waters. Heck, most of the brilliant lyrical content throughout their career was his, wasn't it? But I don't like his really depressing stuff as much... certain parts of the Wall and a lot of the Final Cut. Gilmour and Wright always brought a breezier, sunnier, dreamy side to the band. They kept the balance. I generally prefer happier dreamier music to extremely depressing stuff, no matter how good the songwriting is in the latter case!

metalife

Reaction score
Yeah, David Gilmour's solo material is great. He released a live dvd a few years ago, an all acoustic performance, or maybe mostly acoustic performance. Can't remember what the disc was called but I liked it. Will have to track down a copy.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Yeah, David Gilmour's solo material is great. He released a live dvd a few years ago, an all acoustic performance, or maybe mostly acoustic performance. Can't remember what the disc was called but I liked it. Will have to track down a copy.

Wasn't it called Live From Gdansk or something like that? Not sure.

I quite liked his last solo album from 2006 called On An Island. Though it came off initially as boring, I grew to like many of the songs there.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Members online