Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Pink Floyd

Glad to hear it. I really like Roger Waters' voice and his very dark songwriting style so him having such commanding control over that album makes it stand out a lot for me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It's kind of ironic that the "Dark Brooding Commanding" presence of Waters is what eventually led to the band splitting up. While I like Roger and respect him he sure looks at the dark side of things and after The Wall the rest of the band was burned out on that recurring theme. At least that is my point of view Cosmic.

I do like three of Roger's solo albums though.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Yeah I would have to agree with you on that. Pink Floyd was so much deeper than just a one trick pony and it was very apparent that the remaining members wanted to write in different styles judging on the material and tone of their final two albums after Roger left.

Honestly I don't really like Roger's solo work all that much. I think he has great songwriting skill but he is lacking from a musical stance, where as David Gilmour and the rest of Floyd all were sort on the opposite way. That's how the band worked I felt.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like Radio Kaos, and Amused to Death, Hitchiking... not so much. I think Gilmour's solo albums are very good as well, and showed he can write songs not just music.

I agree with you, they were not being allowed to contribute and after Roger left you could see them all exhale and enjoy themselves.

One of the highlights of my music odyssey was seeing them live in 1996, I was simply Gobsmacked to borrow from my buddy Sox's colorful repertoire.:D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

The only solo album by David I've heard it "On An Island" and the entire, placid nature of the album was very enjoyable. Not dark or anything as my favorite Floyd albums are. Just a pleasant record.

Though I can't help but feel that the remaining Floyd members tried to mimic Roger's style a little bit with tracks like "The Dogs of War" and that.....well that just didn't work out all that well for them.

Wow that must've been at the absolute ass end of their career.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I think they toured in Europe after that one, but that was it. Then when Richard Wright became seriously ill they kind of stopped, sad day when he passed away, I don't think I ever heard anyone have a bad word to say about Rick.

David's first solo album is excellent Cosmic, I recommend it.(David Gilmour - 1978) One thing that struck me was how close his and Roger's vocals sound, not identical but almost, David's being a little Lighter I guess would be the word I'm looking for.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Richard Wright is the member of Pink Floyd that I feel doesn't get as much credit as he deserves because he gets overshadowed by David, Roger, and sometimes Syd.

Roger has a very unique tone that I think gets heard really well in songs like "The Trial" off of "The Wall" and "The Gunner's Dream" off "The Final Cut". David's voice however I think is just much thinner. Like he either seems like he's holding back or his voice just doesn't have a whole lot of power to it which is what makes it sound kind of whispery.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Maybe but I still like him, his music and vocals go together very well.:D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I agree 100%, especially with the peaceful tone of his "On An Island" record.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I love everything by Floyd including Syd years but I'm very partial to The Wall! Alot of people give it flack as being overated but I think it's a massive and beautiful piece of work from front to back!!

Really like the Final Cut album as well and not often praised enough!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online