Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Re: Pink Floyd

If you go back a few pages in here RS, Cosmic and I talked about "The Final Cut" extensively, and I agree with you it gets a lot of unwarranted criticism. I have it rated above quite a few of their early albums myself.

And that is a good list CREAM'd, surprised to see your first pick but even more that you rate Ummagumma so highly.:think:

I'll give it a read when I get home.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like Atom Heart Mother a lot LG,especially the opening track,and I could listen to Summer '68 all day long.There's just something about Ummagumma that I like,especially the Studio half,probably because it sounds so different from anything I've heard before.
As you probably know I've only been listening to Floyd for about 6 months,I already have an awful lot of their Boots from 1972,which basically is Dark Side Of The Moon,so I'm in danger of overplaying that album :)

I don't listen to Ummagumma that often, but I'll play it later today to refresh my memory.

I'm not big on bootlegs, I have always preferred studio releases but I'm not surprised DSOTM is popular in that realm too.

If you can get a copy of the "MFSL-UHQR" edition then I would recommend it highly.

LukeMC

Madcap
Reaction score

The Final Cut is my second favourite Floyd album. People who critize it need to give their heads a shake.

Tis a brilliant album isn't it. I can't get enough of The Gunner's Dream where Roger's yell of "and hold on to the dream" gets mixed with the saxophone (I think it's a sax?). That blew my mind the first time I heard it.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

I like Atom Heart Mother a lot LG,especially the opening track,and I could listen to Summer '68 all day long.There's just something about Ummagumma that I like,especially the Studio half,probably because it sounds so different from anything I've heard before.
As you probably know I've only been listening to Floyd for about 6 months,I already have an awful lot of their Boots from 1972,which basically is Dark Side Of The Moon,so I'm in danger of overplaying that album :)

Ummagumma is a great album, Cream'd. Nice to see it in your top 5. Funny though, I prefer it for the live half. The only thing on the studio record I really enjoy is David's The Narrow Way, and Sysyphus has some brilliant Rick Wright piano.

The live version of CWATE is probably the definitive version for me. Also, Saucerful of Secrets live is mindblowing.:bow:

IMO, '72 is the best year for DSOTM boots as opposed to '73 because they were just really working on getting it into shape for the album, so it sounds very different.

CREAM'd

Reaction score

Ummagumma is a great album, Cream'd. Nice to see it in your top 5. Funny though, I prefer it for the live half. The only thing on the studio record I really enjoy is David's The Narrow Way, and Sysyphus has some brilliant Rick Wright piano.

The live version of CWATE is probably the definitive version for me. Also, Saucerful of Secrets live is mindblowing.:bow:

IMO, '72 is the best year for DSOTM boots as opposed to '73 because they were just really working on getting it into shape for the album, so it sounds very different.
I think it's the fact that unless you're listening to the studio part of the Ummagumma album,you're not likely to hear any of the songs on the album anywhere else,I enjoy the Live part of the album as well.You're right about CWTAE,the Pompeii version is also pretty good.
I think I have all the Boots from '72,including the 1st DSOTM performance and the Complete Rainbow Tapes.
IThis is also a good Floyd boot,from 1977
Pink Floyd In The Grassland Away.jpg

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

I think it's the fact that unless you're listening to the studio part of the Ummagumma album,you're not likely to hear any of the songs on the album anywhere else,I enjoy the Live part of the album as well.You're right about CWTAE,the Pompeii version is also pretty good.
I think I have all the Boots from '72,including the 1st DSOTM performance and the Complete Rainbow Tapes.
IThis is also a good Floyd boot,from 1977
View attachment 5401

They did perform The Narrow Way as part of The Man and The Journey shows back in 1969 and they did Sysyphus live once or twice as well. Pick up Project Birmingham for Sysyphus and I also reccommend Complete Concertgebouw for The Narrow Way. For some reason, David's vocals are notoriously horrible on most live versions of the Narrow Way, but it's interesting to hear nonetheless.:)

Yes that is a good boot. My personal favorite from 1977 is the show just two days after that one, July 4, Madison Sq. Garden, Sheep Independece Day. Excellent sound quality!:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^You and CREAM'd have got me curious now Architect.

You both should post all your PF bootlegs, if it's not too much trouble.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

^^You and CREAM'd have got me curious now Architect.

You both should post all your PF bootlegs, if it's not too much trouble.

That'll take a while. I have easily over 150 different shows ranging from 1967 to 2005(Live 8).

I don't know if I have that much energy, LG.:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I'll settle for your top ten then.;)

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

^^I'll settle for your top ten then.;)

Only ten?? That's hard but I'll give it a go...

They're in no order, except by date.

Complete Concertgebouw
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1969-9-17
Project Birmingham -Birmingham, UK 1970-2-11
Pepperland Auditorium, San Rafael, CA, 1970-10-17
Ernst Merck Halle, Hamburg, Germany 1970-11-14
Something From Nothing- Washington D.C. 1971-11-16
Dark Side of The Rising Sun, Osaka, Japan 1972-3-13
Crackers Hollywood Bowl, CA 1972-9-22
ChildHood's End, Chicago, Il 1973-3-7
Supine In The Sunshine, Earls Court, UK 1973-5-19
Colmar, France, 1974-6-22 (1st performace of Shine on You Crazy Diamond)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online