Paul McCartney's solo career > John Lennon's solo career (and george's and ringo's)

beatlesfan9091

Ultimate Beatles Fan!
Reaction score
Sorry, but Paul McCartney's solo career is way better than John Lennon's. I'm only talking about 1970-80 btw.

For me, John's only great album was Plastic Ono Band. Imagine is good, but it's really just 3 great songs (Imagine, Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth) and a lot of filler.

After that, no. Just no. I like a few songs here and there, but it is a major disappointment. I mean, how could "aisumasen" come from the man who wrote "in my life" "strawberry fields forever", etc.

Meanwhile a lot of Paul's solo stuff is as good or better than his beatle stuff (maybe i'm amazed, the entire ram album, my love, the entire band on the run album, the entire venus and mars album, silly love songs, with a little luck, old siam sir, getting closer, daytime nighttime suffering... and that's just in the 70s.)

Now, it seems like a lot of people gave up on Paul after press to play. but honestly, his recent albums are amazing (electric arguments, memory almost full, chaos and creation in the backyard, flaming pie, flowers in the dirt)

Now I think Paul beats John in the 70s by a long shot.

But...if you take Paul's entire career, I say it's better than Solo John plus Solo George plus Solo Ringo plus Pre-Rubber Soul Beatles times two. It's just awesome.

As far as essential solo albums from each beatle go, paul has the most by far the most:

John-Plastic ono band, imagine (kind of)

George-all things must pass, cloud 9, brainwashed

ringo-ringo

paul-ram, band on the run, venus and mars, tug of war, flowers in the dirt, flaming pie, chaos and creation in the backyard, memory almost full, electric arguments.

my 2 cents.

Thoughts?

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Re: Paul McCartney's solo career > John Lennon's solo career (and george's and ringo'

Hi. I noticed you're new...Welcome!
I think John + Paul's solo work is the best while Ringo's is the most underrated.
I would add Vertical Man, Beaucoups of Blues, Goodnight Vienna, Y Not, and Photograph: The Very Best of Ringo for Ringo essential solo albums.

I think Liverpool 8 is worth buying for these two songs only. I don't like the other songs on the album, but I like these two songs:

Last edited:

beatlesfan9091

Ultimate Beatles Fan!
Reaction score
Re: Paul McCartney's solo career > John Lennon's solo career (and george's and ringo'

Thanks for the tip! I really am interested in getting more of Ringo's stuff, especially Y Not.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

All of Ringo's stuff has been brilliant, but since Time Takes Time all the way to the present day?...they're perfect releases IMHO.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

I don't much like Paul's solo career myself. I agree with John. I think Paul was far too quick to embrace middle-of-the-road pop.

:drums:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Now I think Paul beats John in the 70s by a long shot.

By a long shot? No, sorry.

I prefer McCartney's 70's solo work over Lennons, but not by a long shot.

To me, saying ''by a long shot'' practically means Lennon sucked compaired to McCartney. And that's not true - not even close.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I like Pauls solo output, I love Flaming Pie and I like the Wings albums too. Uncle Albert is my fave song from him, great lyrics and a good tune.

BeatlesFan

Reaction score

I like Pauls solo output, I love Flaming Pie and I like the Wings albums too. Uncle Albert is my fave song from him, great lyrics and a good tune.

My McCartney solo songs include:

Last edited:

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score

By a long shot? No, sorry.

I prefer McCartney's 70's solo work over Lennons, but not by a long shot.

To me, saying ''by a long shot'' practically means Lennon sucked compared to McCartney. And that's not true - not even close.

What he said. Lennon DELIBERATELY avoided the "pop scene" that McCartney embraced. Lennon, Harrison and Starr sipped at the record producing fountain, while McCartney had his own fountain.

McCartney has done two relevant albums since London Town: Flowers in the Dirt and Run Devil Run. The rest is garbage.

However, Wings was his best backing Band. McCullough, English, were superb. Layne was simply nothing short of amazing.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online