Our own threads

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
The moderators' work is vital to preserving the history that this forum is documenting.

When one stops and considers the wealth of
• rock-n-roll facts,
• first-hand experiences,
• stories, and
• comprehensive rock-n-roll knowledge
that CRF contains, the housekeeping that the mods do is God-sent and deeply appreciated.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I never understood what is wrong with the comments. Of course I never use the comment section so I do not much have of a say. What is wrong with the comments?

Before Google bought YouTube you could just sign up with Gmail and use any name and make a comment. People could see it and almost quote you, like you do here. Now, you MUST HAVE a GOOGLE + account which requires you to almost give them all your information including your blood type–not really–but it feels that way. Then Google picks circles of friends for you whether you like it or not. I tried it when they had the "you can back out when you see how *******up this is" period, and I got comments from people I NEVER EVER talked to. Then YouTube/Google continually dumped comments notices in my email from people I did not know and never commented to. After I deleted my Google + account I still got comments dumped in my email from strangers. I just got one last week even though I dropped Google + over a year ago. :rolleyes:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Then Google picks circles of friends for you whether you like it or not.
What? No they don't. I've had a gmail account dating back to the days when it was still in beta (over 10 years ago) so I was on Google+ from the ground floor. I have 2 friends in my circles and BOTH are there because I put them there.

I don't work for the company, I have nothing invested in them so i personally have nothing to gain from sticking up for them or for suggesting them to people. In my opinion after years of using them, I would suggest that everyone have a gmail account at the very least. Google Drive, Gmail, Google+. Google also owns Android which is by FAR the best phone OS out there.

I'll agree that Youtube can be wonky, but it's FAR better now than when it was first launched almost 10 years ago and better than what Google Videos was. The comments section has improved at times and has unimproved at other times. I like that being logged in, I get notices when someone responds to my comments and I don't have to search through 100 pages of bullshit to find my comment, I can click and see it immediately. Not sure how that's such a horrible thing, but that's just my opinion. I do NOT like that you used to be able to thumbs-up ~and~ thumbs-down people, and you could see the numbers of each on people's comments. Now, you can only see the Thumb Up numbers and it seems that downvoting a comment does nothing.

Anyway, Google and youtube are still both lightyears better than any other option out there. JM2CW

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
What? No they don't. I've had a gmail account dating back to the days when it was still in beta (over 10 years ago) so I was on Google+ from the ground floor. I have 2 friends in my circles and BOTH are there because I put them there.

I don't work for the company, I have nothing invested in them so i personally have nothing to gain from sticking up for them or for suggesting them to people. In my opinion after years of using them, I would suggest that everyone have a gmail account at the very least. Google Drive, Gmail, Google+. Google also owns Android which is by FAR the best phone OS out there.

I'll agree that Youtube can be wonky, but it's FAR better now than when it was first launched almost 10 years ago and better than what Google Videos was. The comments section has improved at times and has unimproved at other times. I like that being logged in, I get notices when someone responds to my comments and I don't have to search through 100 pages of bullshit to find my comment, I can click and see it immediately. Not sure how that's such a horrible thing, but that's just my opinion. I do NOT like that you used to be able to thumbs-up ~and~ thumbs-down people, and you could see the numbers of each on people's comments. Now, you can only see the Thumb Up numbers and it seems that downvoting a comment does nothing.

Anyway, Google and youtube are still both lightyears better than any other option out there. JM2CW

To keep this from turning into a nasty, ugly argument, I will say that I'm talking from what I personally experienced. I have nothing more to say.

Lynch

Reaction score
To keep this from turning into a nasty, ugly argument, I will say that I'm talking from what I personally experienced. I have nothing more to say.

:wtf: why would it turn into a nasty ugly arguement? :rolleyes:

I'm speaking from my own experience as well (again, having been with Google since 2004)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before Google bought YouTube you could just sign up with Gmail and use any name and make a comment. People could see it and almost quote you, like you do here. Now, you MUST HAVE a GOOGLE + account which requires you to almost give them all your information including your blood type–not really–but it feels that way. Then Google picks circles of friends for you whether you like it or not. I tried it when they had the "you can back out when you see how *******up this is" period, and I got comments from people I NEVER EVER talked to. Then YouTube/Google continually dumped comments notices in my email from people I did not know and never commented to. After I deleted my Google + account I still got comments dumped in my email from strangers. I just got one last week even though I dropped Google + over a year ago. :rolleyes:

Yeah the set up they got now is complete garbage in my opinion. I ignore the whole circle shit because I found the same sort of thing happened to me that it did for you.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Yeah the set up they got now is complete garbage in my opinion. I ignore the whole circle shit because I found the same sort of thing happened to me that it did for you.

I've had Gmail, since 2000. That is when you had to get "invited." :gig I knew it was going to be bad when they had to have videos to explain how to use "your circles." Then someone started a petition (which I signed) in hopes of getting YouTube back to it's original–nothing's wrong with it, so why change it–format. Then I saw a lot of uploaders who posted underneath their videos, saying goodbye, that they were pulling their stuff because of Google +. :uh:

Lynch

Reaction score
I've had Gmail, since 2000. That is when you had to get "invited." :gig

Gmail wasn't around in 2000. It was opened for public beta testing in April 2004. At the time, yes, it was by invite only. Everyone that got an account was given x-number of invites. At the time, some people wanted Google mail invites so bad, that they were willing to pay for them (something that Google frowned on if I remember correctly thus the reason they gave out a LOT more invites for current users).

I still have the original Welcome To Gmail email that I received on my main gmail account back in June of 2004. This was actually my second or third gmail account at the time, but it turned into the only one that I have continued to use through the years.

2ebbbeo.jpg

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Gmail wasn't around in 2000. It was opened for public beta testing in April 2004. At the time, yes, it was by invite only. Everyone that got an account was given x-number of invites. At the time, some people wanted Google mail invites so bad, that they were willing to pay for them (something that Google frowned on if I remember correctly thus the reason they gave out a LOT more invites for current users).

I still have the original Welcome To Gmail email that I received on my main gmail account back in June of 2004. This was actually my second or third gmail account at the time, but it turned into the only one that I have continued to use through the years.

2ebbbeo.jpg

Yeah you're right. I thought I got an invite from a friend earlier, when I was a member of, a now defunct, Stargate SG-1 forum. Thanks for the information. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online

No members online now.