Nirvana (Official Thread)

Tangerine

Reaction score
I hope I won't get killed for asking this but...don't you think that Kurt's death played a great role on making Nirvana this "legend"?
I like them and they certainly are good, but I feel that if Kurt didn't die in such way they would probably be "another good/great 90s band". I think musically Pearl Jam are better for example, still they are not as worshipped as Nirvana...

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
^ I do think so. I mean I like them and all, but I never really got the hype or all the attention *shrugs*

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There is no denying when someone dies in their prime like Kurt did, by his own hand that it does give Nirvana a massive boost.

I was never a huge "Grunge" fan but Nirvana was never my favorite, I felt there were other better bands than them that didn't get the hype for whatever reason.

But I am not a Kurt or Nirvana hater...they were a massive important band to an entire generation of young people and remain relevant today.

Tangerine

Reaction score
I felt there were other better bands than them that didn't get the hype for whatever reason.

Exactly!!!
Obviously death helps fame, but I think that Lennon, Hendrix and maybe Morrison would have been massive even if they were still alive. But I think Nirvana would have "faded" a bit... We'll never know!
I am not an hater, I actually like their music :)

empress

Reaction score
I hope I won't get killed for asking this but...don't you think that Kurt's death played a great role on making Nirvana this "legend"?
I like them and they certainly are good, but I feel that if Kurt didn't die in such way they would probably be "another good/great 90s band". I think musically Pearl Jam are better for example, still they are not as worshipped as Nirvana...
i think so! i like them but their popularity is huge and i just feel like a lot of people like the story behind Kurt, his image and everything. it definitely gave a boost to their fame. they would probably still be big now because they were relatively big in the 90s, but i don't think it would be something seen as trendy or as cool to like them had they still been making music into the 00s.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Love the song Rape Me.

Redneck

punk
Reaction score
I think musically Pearl Jam are better for example, still they are not as worshipped as Nirvana...
I don't think Pearl Jam are better. They are great, of course, but musically stay on the same level with Nirvana. I like them both but Nirvana I love. They have some songs that make you feel like you're in trance.

Dr Chocolate

Reaction score
IMO, if it wasn't for Nirvana, i wouldn't have gotten into all sorts of underground bands. i never got into the grunge thing at all. and Nirvana was where i can draw the line into a band where i like every album of theirs. never got into Pearl, Sound, Alice or whatever those other bands that were also on that grunge list of bands.

it literally was the only band that seemed to take the fact that they (at least kurt) admit that there are alot more talented bands then themselves. right around 1991/1992 in high school the whole "i'm more punk them you" attitude really made me not want to even listen to punk music. where as everyone else seemed to be into Green Day or Offspring. i was getting into bands like Pussy Galore & The Cramps.

even to this day, i will bust out some of the bootlegs i have on cassette from trading way back in those days via snail mail. it was then i realize that kurt is a really good guitar player. even if he claims he aint that great. but it sure helped me out with my playing. also, alot of those "unreleased songs" (at that time) seemed to always be better then what i heard on the albums.

i remember when i first heard S.L.T.S. on the radio. all i could think of, i know that song. and just could not put my finger on what it was. i kept thinking, was that something i jammed out on a guitar or something, cause it sounded too familiar. and sure enough, went to a party at a friends of a friends house, and then they put on Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult, and then it went off like a lightbulb in my head. i knew, i knew that tune!

i also like how Territorial Pissings is the exact same riff as Heart Shaped Box. but i guess maybe kurt got lazy at it, or maybe somewhere hiding on a 4 track tape, something happened, he heard it and thought. hey why not?

i also like the fact that kurt has that sloppy sounding guitar playing and singing. you know that a band like that today wouldn't get signed. like Hairspray Queen comes to mind. just sloppy like puking after 20 beers. good stuff!

i'm still waiting for my copy of Incesticide to show up on vinyl. i guess there was something wrong with the pressing plant, or maybe they ended up selling more during pre-order that, those demands were filled first. i never even knew it came out on vinyl until a friend of mine told me he saw it on a release sheet at the store he works at.

also, if you are into loud music and vinyl, and watching your speakers having a seizure. check out the 2nd verse of Something In The Way on the 180 Gram Virgin Vinyl pressing of Nevermind. when kurt goes into the open D on the 2nd verse, the soundwave really make your speaker goes crazy. it made chills go down my spine. i'm sure that's something that the cd won't be able to duplicate. then again. i havent owned a copy of Nevermind on cd since 1992 or 1993, because i originally bought it on cassette when it came out.

Fender-Defender

Reaction score
Picked up the new remastered version of Nevermind where something in the way and endless nameless are the final tracks. They're merged together as one, does anyone know why they did this and where there's a 10 minute gap between the tracks?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Probably out of convienience for people. It hardly makes sense to have a hidden track on an album if people already know it's there, thus making it thoroughly un-hidden.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online