Nirvana (Official Thread)

Jantine

Reaction score
Count me among the Nevermind is overrated crowd, i would still give Nevermind a 10 though. In Utero is just as good imo. Bleach is about an 8, Incesticide is a 6-7 by my reckoning.

Nevermind is definitely the cleanest sounding album they did, even though i'd give it a perfect 10 based on it's best songs, it does contain a bit of filler.

You have effectively called the album perfect. How could you give Nevermind a 10 if you consider it "overrated"?

Jantine

Reaction score
Im finding alot of acoustic demos I never heard before on spotify, and they have a bleach/fecal matter feel to them. Im starting to realize that if some had made the cut to bleach (subpop didnt let some of them on for various reasons) grunge, or at least nirvana, would have been made mainstream faster... not that thats always a good thing :bonk:

Maybe it would be good. Nirvana, would have rightfully been considered an 80's band. There is a hint of nostalgia in that, I would have liked.

Jantine

Reaction score
I disagree a lot here. Contrary to what you might be thinking, there are a ton of people out there who find "Nevermind" overrated (I myself am not one of them however). I also think "Bleach" doesn't hold a candle to it nor could it have made the impact that it's followup did. "Bleach" was rough sounding and abrasive, which I understand is a great deal of it's appeal for some people. "Nevermind" on the other hand was sleek and had the melody it needed to crossover in the way their debut did not. Besides, whether people want to think it or not "Nevermind" is the real Nirvana. The band tried not to alienate their underground roots with "Bleach" and made a point to drive away less dedicated fans with "In Utero". "Nevermind" however was the ideal marriage of distortion and melodies that Kurt Cobain really wanted to make.

Well put.

Jantine

Reaction score
Bleach has the distortion and apathy of grunge, while nevermind was more melodic and decisive lyric-wise. Both great albums, but people usually regard nevermind in a higher light. It made grunge mainstream, and accessible to people outside the seattle area, worldwide. I think that ultimately became the death of grunge. Underground became mainstream, it lost its roots with bush and STP and garbage and birthed bands like chevelle, where apathy became empathy and connecting with fans with lyrics that mean something to the individual, which recording companies loved. Alt became the norm, nevermind started it all and ended it all. My opinions. I dont think it died with kurt, it died with time and pop.

Thats a short time-line. 4 years. I heard people say, when Nirvana was around, they were just "another band". Sure, Kurt dying young, cemented his Rock God status. However, could it be he was just the best at gruge and the others were just poor?

I've heard my fair share of Grunge music from that era, and Nirvana's so to genuinely top the bill. He had no rivials, in that genre.

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
I feel faint from extreme emotion. I'm swooned :flirt

Thats what they all say :****:
Side note, i always feel distant listening to non-incest songs because i know it was kurts favorite album (of his own work). he had complete control of the album, which is probably what he loved about it. Its not about blindly following someone elses music taste, its just that most of his shit was greatly influenced by what subpop and geffen wanted. Its about what songs will be more popular and therefore sell more albums, not so much what a frontman wants. Just my thoughts on that :X maybe distant isnt the right word for it... im not good with articulation :3

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
Thats a short time-line. 4 years. I heard people say, when Nirvana was around, they were just "another band". Sure, Kurt dying young, cemented his Rock God status. However, could it be he was just the best at gruge and the others were just poor?

I've heard my fair share of Grunge music from that era, and Nirvana's so to genuinely top the bill. He had no rivials, in that genre.

I meant screaming trees when i wrote bush... even though Bush has alot of grungey undertones, they werent around in the late 80s "real grunge" era. Their first album dropped in late 93 or early 94 i think.. just wanted to clarify that point :D

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Been a long time Nirvana. Seen them a small club on the Bleach tour. Got to see them live 7 or 8 times before Kurt's untimely passing

Lavender10

Cult of Personality
Reaction score
I love this one, Its just kurt and its short but for some reason I really love it on loop when im smoking or just driving around :) When he stops at the beginning and says the song title, that kinda makes it known that it wasnt a production. It becomes a little more real, for me at least :3

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online