Nirvana (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Plenty of in your face raw bands way before Nirvana and they didn't need the 'loudness' ramped up in the studio when they recorded, we managed just fine after we got the records.

There is no reason and never will be to brickwall a CD...it's the most brain dead thing I can ever imagine any engineer doing intentionally. Good lord you should never hit the ceiling at 2 on your volume control, you should be able to hit 6-7 comfortably. A magical thing happens with a nice analog recording when you increase the power, it opens up the soundstage without distorting the individual instruments.

All these new producers should be ashamed at the havoc they're wrought upon the musical landscape, all so the default level on your damned portables is set at a high level.

Idiots.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Maybe it is because all these kids nowadays walk around with ear plugs, and the thing has to compete with passing traffic? I go running in midtown about 2 or 3 times a week with my iPod and I must confess I can't hear much music even with the volume on max, so I don't really know why I bother actually.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Indeed, when the dust settles in another 10 years or so there is going to be an entire generation of i-pod users who start experiencing hearing loss.

The noise cancelling headphones are interesting, but am not sure they are available as earbuds...:think:

My old Sony Walkman cassette player had a 'defeat' switch, you selected it to minimize the volume so even if you cranked it up it wouldn't pass the threshold of damaging your hearing. And that is ancient technology now, but they knew back then extended listening to earbuds at high volume came with a risk the pamphlet with the Walkman stressed using moderation when enjoying their portable.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The loudness wars(brickwalling) are the STUPIDEST things engineers/producers have ever done using the new digital technology.:sm:

I keep hoping they are regaining their sanity and allow us to use our own volume controls to find the sound we want.

As far as the new In Utero CD goes, I haven't listened to Nirvana for years. I'm not a hater but there are other bands from that period I like far more.

I agree loudness war is complete garbage. So unnecessary to sacrifice quality for loudness which is what it does in a fair amount of cases.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
One jacked up flick here

Kurt_and_Courtney_poster_207904.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online