New Classic Rock?

eccentric man

Reaction score
i think the biggest issue facing music especially the old vs new debate is that old music was created by people who got together to play music and then let the people who heard it decide what style they were. now it's all about starting X style band and then hoping people like it. it seems rare to find musicians who get together first and THEN find out what sort of music they play as opposed to having made a conscious decision as to what style they would adhere to.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I think that "free" Radiohead stunt might prove to be one of the most important things that have happened with these matters in a while.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/09/nradiohead108.xml
it looks like maybe me have a new business model.

Trent Reznor is jumping for joy that his contract has expired and he makes it clear that he's not looking to sign another. people want stuff. it'll be interesting to see how they go about getting it from this point out. bands with a strong fan base could really turn this whole thing on it's ear. it's about time.

eccentric man

Reaction score
it looks like maybe me have a new business model.

i wouldn't go that far. it's a great idea, it's been a LONG time coming too. shit, i'd been talking about offering free low quality mp3s in advance of cds for years but that doesn't really matter.

the main stumbling block with radiohead's stunt (and i'm very much starting to think it was in fact a stunt) is that they didn't clearly disclose the product the consumers were getting until maybe 2 nights ago. by which point most people had already paid. only to find out they would only be getting 160kb/s mp3s (like offering to sell DVDs only to find out they're dubs of VHS tapes - AFTER you paid). will they be getting a discount for a lossless quality album when i hits shelves next year? even if they paid a retail price for the download? who knows? maybe RH will wise up and find a way to compensate the fans (coupons for the cd maybe?)

it was a great idea... but it got ****** up along the way. i'm not sure who dropped the ball but it fell. i'm not thinking it's going to ruin radiohead or anything but it's not going to reshape the industry yet.

i think the main issue is that the downloads were presented as 'the album' at 'whatever price the consumer wants to pay'. instead of a decent quality advanced copy for a voluntary tribute / donation. i figure if they had been upfront like that from the get go they would have made about as much since the only people who'd line up for something like this would be their hardcore fans.

as for trent reznor, he's the perfect example of a musician who should have learned how to read a contract on his own.

Martha Washington

Reaction score
I think it'll be interesting to see what he does. he's got a pretty loyal fan-base if they haven't moved on to other things and I'm not sure that they have.

Martha Washington

Reaction score
if so, then that certainly would be a new business model. I mean, how much overhead? people are at the point where all they expect is the tunes. it's gonna get interesting.

eccentric man

Reaction score
yeah but that's trent reznor, it's not like he was unknown in the mainstream and johnny cash covering hurt didn't exactly hurt his career. ba dum bump

(wow that's bad hahaha)

but i totally see what you're saying. in a sense bands could start to play the labels as launching pads to the net. get smaller scale 2-3 album contracts, develop a fanbase for your particular style then move it out onto the net once it's not in vogue on tv or whatever. basically hook them while they're young through means that have proven to work, then move along with them as they diverge from the mainstream.

Reaction score
the only new band wiht a decent old sound is probaly black crowes

they are one of the only newer bands that i like

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fungusexodus

Members online