Music Pet Peeves

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I have a grievance opposite of yours but not in quite the same way. I don't mind an artist getting praise or gaining new fans following their death but what I DO mind is how fickle people after their passing. Like with Michael Jackson for example (or more recently Amy Winehouse), people were telling ********* jokes at his expense for years and going "Who seriously gives a shit about him anymore?" but as soon as he dies those same people went "Oh my god, we miss you Michael! You were the best ever." because it was popular to. THAT is what bothers me. Like where were you when Michael could have actually used the support of his fans? :nw:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's why I never get too attached to any musician, athlete or celebrity.

If I like their music I will say so from the beginning. If I don't like them personally I have no problem with saying what I think.(Sometimes it will affect how I view their music, Sooty and I have gone round on that one before.)

I try not to disrespect the recently deceased, for their families sake and I don't really wish any of them any harm, even if I don't like them. But the truth is hard at times, and there is a big difference between dying in a plane crash or a drug/alcohol overdose one certainly engenders more sympathy from me than the other.

I have noticed a Huge upsurge of interest in Amy's albums in a few places I visit since she died. But that is not surprising, it's like the old artist's joke, their art often sells for at least double the price after they die as it did when they were alive.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I have a grievance opposite of yours but not in quite the same way. I don't mind an artist getting praise or gaining new fans following their death but what I DO mind is how fickle people after their passing. Like with Michael Jackson for example (or more recently Amy Winehouse), people were telling ********* jokes at his expense for years and going "Who seriously gives a shit about him anymore?" but as soon as he dies those same people went "Oh my god, we miss you Michael! You were the best ever." because it was popular to. THAT is what bothers me. Like where were you when Michael could have actually used the support of his fans? :nw:

Yeah, I found it unfortunate that Michael didn't get as much recognition when he was alive then when he died. I've always been a huge fan of him, so it honestly took me by surprise when he died. I had hoped he'd be alive for a long time.

The ********* jokes are so old now too. I agree with you on that. Even when he was alive, I honestly didn't care too much about his personal life, as long as his music and talents were still good, which is evident in This Is It. He was a talented man, and it's a shame he got all the flack he got when he was alive.

ANF

Reaction score
Radio that only plays select generic artists and avoids artists over 40 as well as any younger artist who doesn't just play into their hands.

Music listeners who think their opinions are FACT and nobody else can have their own OPINION.

The abuse of auto-tune. It was annoying ten years ago and its only worse now. If autotune was around in the day, Milli Vanilli never would've happened because their vocals would've been autotuned so much that they would've sounded like the actual singers.

ANF

Reaction score
Yeah, I found it unfortunate that Michael didn't get as much recognition when he was alive then when he died. I've always been a huge fan of him, so it honestly took me by surprise when he died. I had hoped he'd be alive for a long time.

The ********* jokes are so old now too. I agree with you on that. Even when he was alive, I honestly didn't care too much about his personal life, as long as his music and talents were still good, which is evident in This Is It. He was a talented man, and it's a shame he got all the flack he got when he was alive.

The ********* jokes didn't die with MJ though sadly. I remember some guy made this video on YouTube about how he didn't care that some "pop singing *********" died and then tried to talk about how his death didn't matter to music like Cliff Burton or Randy Rhodes did. Now there's nothing wrong with being a metalhead, but comparing those deaths is the worse case of apples and oranges. You want to compare Michael with other artists? Try Stevie Wonder, Prince, George Michael and other r&b/pop male vocalists of the 70's and 80's who likely had far more fans in common with MJ than Metallica.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
The ********* jokes didn't die with MJ though sadly. I remember some guy made this video on YouTube about how he didn't care that some "pop singing *********" died and then tried to talk about how his death didn't matter to music like Cliff Burton or Randy Rhodes did. Now there's nothing wrong with being a metalhead, but comparing those deaths is the worse case of apples and oranges. You want to compare Michael with other artists? Try Stevie Wonder, Prince, George Michael and other r&b/pop male vocalists of the 70's and 80's who likely had far more fans in common with MJ than Metallica.

People who post shit like that on Youtube are the most insecure, and immature people out there nowadays. I mean...what goes through someone's head when they KNOW millions of people are going to see it, yet they make a video about how they don't care about something that more than half the world cares about.

Going a little bit off topic but...

THAN, they try to defend themselves by saying something like "oh I didn't mean it to sound the way it did."

I just don't get it. I mean, i'm ok with people having their own opinions about an artists death and an artist in general, but if they're going to post a public video, say their opinion, than when someone catches them try to make it sound not as bad, i've got no respect for those people.

ANF

Reaction score
People who post shit like that on Youtube are the most insecure, and immature people out there nowadays. I mean...what goes through someone's head when they KNOW millions of people are going to see it, yet they make a video about how they don't care about something that more than half the world cares about.

Going a little bit off topic but...

THAN, they try to defend themselves by saying something like "oh I didn't mean it to sound the way it did."

I just don't get it. I mean, i'm ok with people having their own opinions about an artists death and an artist in general, but if they're going to post a public video, say their opinion, than when someone catches them try to make it sound not as bad, i've got no respect for those people.

This guy is a total moron. He also posted a video complaining that Dio's death didn't get the same coverage. I think the guy is an act... he was an 80's kid, MJ's death was sad to all of us who were kids during his day. Even if you moved on to other genres, you're pretty much lying through your teeth if you say you didn't try to moonwalk while watching him doing it on TV.

Dio was awesome, I actually liked him better in Sabbath than Ozzy, but you really have to live in a deep musical comfort zone if you were baffled that his death didn't have the Elvis/Lennon effect MJ had. As a fan of 1980's music I was very upset when Laura Branigan died and I still get sad thinking how her death could've been prevented, but I was aware that to a lot of people she only had a few hit songs and therefore her death might've gotten a brief obituary in the backpages of a magazine but that it wouldn't be mourned as a worldwide tragedy. Dio's death was bigger than Branigan, but I can understand why People Magazine didn't do special commemorative issues celebrating his career. Now maybe when Ozzy or Gene Simmons kicks the bucket they might, but Dio was never as famous as them.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
This guy is a total moron. He also posted a video complaining that Dio's death didn't get the same coverage. I think the guy is an act... he was an 80's kid, MJ's death was sad to all of us who were kids during his day. Even if you moved on to other genres, you're pretty much lying through your teeth if you say you didn't try to moonwalk while watching him doing it on TV.

I agree with you 100%. I didn't grow up listening to MJ, but I still found his music to be extraordinary, and his talents in the art of dance were the best I had ever seen.

Dio was awesome, I actually liked him better in Sabbath than Ozzy, but you really have to live in a deep musical comfort zone if you were baffled that his death didn't have the Elvis/Lennon effect MJ had. As a fan of 1980's music I was very upset when Laura Branigan died and I still get sad thinking how her death could've been prevented, but I was aware that to a lot of people she only had a few hit songs and therefore her death might've gotten a brief obituary in the backpages of a magazine but that it wouldn't be mourned as a worldwide tragedy. Dio's death was bigger than Branigan, but I can understand why People Magazine didn't do special commemorative issues celebrating his career. Now maybe when Ozzy or Gene Simmons kicks the bucket they might, but Dio was never as famous as them.

It's a shame that the famous thing comes into it when an artist dies. Though, if it's the artist's decision not to have press all over it, than I can understand that. But otherwise, I find it sad always when I find out that an artist has left us, regardless of their influence or their personal lives. They're still people.

There are quite a few artists that have died in the last ten years that are still not getting the musical recognition they deserve. It's sad, because they won't have the chance to show the world their talents.

ANF

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. I didn't grow up listening to MJ, but I still found his music to be extraordinary, and his talents in the art of dance were the best I had ever seen.

This is true. It isn't a genre thing. When MJ died, I saw metal-heads, indie kids, hip hoppers and even country fans mourning his loss because it was a major blow to the music world. You didn't have to be his target demographic to understand why his death was one of those once-a-decade type of losses that comes musically and considering his popularity spanned two or three different generations why so many people got together to mourn him.

IMO, the whole "he's a *********" thing is null and void, because Jordy Chandler's father committing suicide out of feeling guilt from MJ's death pretty much closed the chapter on that. If MJ molested his kid, he would've been relieved that he was dead instead of feeling this uncontrollable guilt that he was one of the factors that lead MJ down that dark road and killed himself for it shortly after.

It's a shame that the famous thing comes into it when an artist dies. Though, if it's the artist's decision not to have press all over it, than I can understand that. But otherwise, I find it sad always when I find out that an artist has left us, regardless of their influence or their personal lives. They're still people.

There are quite a few artists that have died in the last ten years that are still not getting the musical recognition they deserve. It's sad, because they won't have the chance to show the world their talents.
I agree with this. I am not a huge America fan though I own "The Complete Greatest Hits" and enjoy a lot of it, but its sad that Dan Peek for instance has gotten little to no press over his death even though he sang lead on a few of their biggest hits, but the guy "hasn't been relevant in 30 years" therefore his death will likely be a paragraph obit on Rolling Stone, while Amy Winehouse will receive the cover for dying in her prime and at a point where people were still waiting for news on a new album from her. Amy's death is bigger but I would say Dan deserves more respect than he's getting just because he happened to die 35 years past his peak in fame.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online