Music Pet Peeves

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
This topic allows you to rant away about the things that annoy you about music in general. The fans, bad concert experiences, the music itself, etc.

Here are some of my pet peeves:

-I listen to a lot of music from the 70's and 80's that is considered cheesy. People used to say "stop being ironic", "look at this guy being ironic" just because one of my favorite albums was Use Your Illusion II. Also dad rock is the new term people use to make fun of classic rock. :mad

-People who write off whole genres of music as bad. I'll admit, I'm not well versed with Jazz, I still haven't found that album that I love, but I'm not going to say "Jazz is the worst genre ever." Progressive Rock got no love at this one board I used to hang out at, as soon as it was brought up people went crazy.

-I enjoy following ranking topics and lists people make for their favorite band/artists songs, but some people take the rankings too seriously and go ape shit over the smallest stuff. I remember one guy's Bowie list getting trashed because he put a certain song at #15 (he ranked 200+ Bowie songs) when it "clearly should be top 10, top 5, gawd WORST LIST EVER!!!". Just enjoy the list and stop whining.

oh and

-Crappy closers to a great album. Looking at you My World on Use Your Illusion II.

What are some of your pet peeves?

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
One big one is a "one hit album", I don't know the proper term for it, so I just call it that. It's when an artist that you like has an album that has like...1 or 2 good songs on it, and the rest are shit. I hate that. If I like the artist enough I will learn to enjoy the other songs, otherwise i'll just put it into the album pile that I won't listen to much anymore.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Albums that are too monotonous stylistically. Rock, Black Metal, Pop, Noise, Rap... no matter how purist an artist may be, I enjoy some variety. When I wanna listen to a homogeneous mix I can put that together myself, but as 'a work' an album fairs better with variety, in my mind.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Simon Cowell.
Moshers who then need medical treatment - at the tax payer's expense (I'd leave them all with their bruises and broken bones, serves them right silly buggers).
Overpriced concert tickets.
DJ's who talk for like 40 minutes in every hour trying to be a comedian, and then play records on radio but never say what it is they just played.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Simon Cowell.
Moshers who then need medical treatment - at the tax payer's expense (I'd leave them all with their bruises and broken bones, serves them right silly buggers).
DJ's who talk for like 40 minutes in every hour trying to be a comedian, and then play records on radio but never say what it is they just played.

Yes.

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Simon Cowell.:bow:

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This topic allows you to rant away about the things that annoy you about music in general. The fans, bad concert experiences, the music itself, etc.

Here are some of my pet peeves:

-I listen to a lot of music from the 70's and 80's that is considered cheesy. People used to say "stop being ironic", "look at this guy being ironic" just because one of my favorite albums was Use Your Illusion II. Also dad rock is the new term people use to make fun of classic rock. :mad

-People who write off whole genres of music as bad. I'll admit, I'm not well versed with Jazz, I still haven't found that album that I love, but I'm not going to say "Jazz is the worst genre ever." Progressive Rock got no love at this one board I used to hang out at, as soon as it was brought up people went crazy.

-I enjoy following ranking topics and lists people make for their favorite band/artists songs, but some people take the rankings too seriously and go ape shit over the smallest stuff. I remember one guy's Bowie list getting trashed because he put a certain song at #15 (he ranked 200+ Bowie songs) when it "clearly should be top 10, top 5, gawd WORST LIST EVER!!!". Just enjoy the list and stop whining.

oh and

-Crappy closers to a great album. Looking at you My World on Use Your Illusion II.

What are some of your pet peeves?

Dad Rock...:oyea:

I'll take our Classic 60'-80's rock over the most of the music I hear today, not rock so much but hip hop and rap, which I consider the worst in music history bar none.(It's the only genre I feel that way about, give me Soul, R&B and Jazz any day over that...crap.:nw:)

I'll be back with some more tidbits later CAF.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Dad Rock...:oyea:

I'll take our Classic 60'-80's rock over the most of the music I hear today, not rock so much but hip hop and rap, which I consider the worst in music history bar none.(It's the only genre I feel that way about, give me Soul, R&B and Jazz any day over that...crap.:nw:)

I'll be back with some more tidbits later CAF.

AMEN TO THAT!!!! :grinthumb:cheers2

It annoys me that most people my age listen to the crap that spews from radio stations these days. Bring on the classic rock!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I really hate when people are talking about bands with two-word names (like Bon Jovi, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc.) and speak of them collectively by calling the whole band "he/him".

Example:

Me: Oh, I loved Van Halen's 1984.
Idiot: OHHHH. He is so good!
Me: Go f*** yourself.

I also hate hearing a southern twang in a vocalist's voice. I can't stand it when people are speaking in it (I'm sorry, something about it just nauseates me) so I don't want to hear someone singing like a back woods hick either. Which is why (this should come as no surprise) I'm not too fond of country music.

I also hate it when people say "[insert band name here] is my favourite band ever!" and you ask them what their favourite song is and they're like "[their ultimate hit ever that everybody knows]". You know, like this.

Me: What's your favourite band (if you can choose)?
Moron in training: OMG I love Pink Floyd!
Me: Really? What's your favourite song?
Moron in training: *incorrectly cites track "Brain Damage" as the title track of DSOTM*
Me: *loses faith in humanity*

.... Basically, know your shit before you start talking.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
My number one pet peeve is this:

536583.jpg

ELECTRONIC DRUMS :mad

What an idea. The crappiest, most uninspiring drum beats of all-time. Thanks to technology which no doubt costs an arm and a leg.

Seriously, electronic music is great if it's done right, but electronic drums just sound cheap and nasty. Get rid of them, I say!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online