Most Overrated Artists/Bands of 70s?

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
IMO Wings are the most overrated band to me from this decade - I don't think they wouldn't have received as much attention as they did had McCartney not been in a certain other band previously... I'd also suggest Queen to a lesser extent, although they're only really overrated in the UK (where Bohemian Rhapsody/We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions are practically inescapable).

Reading through this thread I noticed a couple of mentions of the Eagles, as they're among my favourite bands I feel compelled to say that I think their radio hits are overplayed but not overrated (but familiarity admittedly does often breed contempt), but their albums barring Hotel California are generally underrated, especially Desperado and On The Border, and the songs by Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner are also underrated as nearly all of the core Eagles radio staples were written and/or sung by Henley and Frey.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
McCartney should have had everything he did in the 70's labeled with his name only.I know some of the other band members contributed some tunes that were half-decent,but amidst all the McCartney penned numbers,they seem so small an insignificant towards to structures of the albums on which they appeared.It was the Paul McCartney show,really,but with a really terrific backing band.In fact,whenever Billboard magazine ranks the all time greatest artists according to chart performance,the list never makes mention of Wings.The slot on the list is usuallly credited to just Paul.I can pretty safely assume here that NONE of Wings sales or radio airplay success had anything to do with anyone but Paul.He merely just wanted to say he was part of a band because he was the ex-Beatle that missed being in the band the most.Even the inclusion of Linda McCartney was a spiteful move."OK,John,if you can have your projects with your wife,I can do the same with mine".That sort of thing.While Linda did manage to pull off some half decent things with her keyboards,she essentially was a photographer,not really a pro musician......

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Too many craptastic, overrated and/or simply lame bands and artists from the 70's to even begin a list.

1) Anything related to 70's punk could be erased from history. Absolute garbage from start to finish.
2) The vast majority of 70's 'glam rock' could also go the F away.
3) Most prog is also crap IMHO. Some is really cool, but most is poop.

Just my 2 cents worth. Yeah, I realize I"m going after entire sub-genres, that's me being nice rather than listing off a hundred artists. ;)

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Too many craptastic, overrated and/or simply lame bands and artists from the 70's to even begin a list.

1) Anything related to 70's punk could be erased from history. Absolute garbage from start to finish.
2) The vast majority of 70's 'glam rock' could also go the F away.
3) Most prog is also crap IMHO. Some is really cool, but most is poop.

I'm gonna get appointments for you & TS. You guys holding everything in and not saying what you really feel is gonna give you ulcers.:D

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Back on topic...

ZZ Top. One big, long, distorted, unvarying vibration is what I hear.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
ABBA - I was over the moon when Björn announced the band won't be getting back together. :D

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Guns 'N' Roses springs to mind here.And Axl Rose recently being named the greatest vocalist of all time?I shouldn't even be dignifying THAT one with a response..................

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guns 'N' Roses springs to mind here.And Axl Rose recently being named the greatest vocalist of all time?I shouldn't even be dignifying THAT one with a response..................

lol Yeah I laughed when I read about that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online