Most Overrated Artists/Bands of 70s?

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Khor, considering I like bands like Gentle Giant and PG era Genesis I really should like them. But after many times trying I have given up.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Cool. To each his own. But they actually have a few different eras. The Tony Banks stuff is quite different than the Steve Howe, the Alan White era different than Bruford etc.

The first album is a must hear if you haven't yet and Tormato is extremely underrated etc.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
I find it ironic that a couple or so people actually called rush overrated when in fact they were underrated and received very little love from the mainstream though they were some of rocks more creative and talented musicians. One of the most overrated imo is metallica.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Metallica are not a 1970s band though.

gorgon

Reaction score
I find it ironic that a couple or so people actually called rush overrated when in fact they were underrated and received very little love from the mainstream though they were some of rocks more creative and talented musicians. One of the most overrated imo is metallica.

There's no irony. Rush has legions of diehard fans that would follow them into hell. A band can be overrated by it's core supporters without selling a bazillion albums and topping every chart of it's era. And I remember hearing them on the radio throughout my whole childhood, so they were receiving love from somewhere. Talking about a band that received no love, Metallica sold a shit ton of records with little to no radio support, and no MTV air time. Ya know why? Because a lot of metal heads thought they were damn good. Overrated now? I'd say so. Overrated in the 90's? I don't know. Overrated in the 80's when they were building a cult following and making killer metal? No. They're still living off of that rep. Different strokes for different folks.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
There's no irony. Rush has legions of diehard fans that would follow them into hell. A band can be overrated by it's core supporters without selling a bazillion albums and topping every chart of it's era. And I remember hearing them on the radio throughout my whole childhood, so they were receiving love from somewhere. Talking about a band that received no love, Metallica sold a shit ton of records with little to no radio support, and no MTV air time. Ya know why? Because a lot of metal heads thought they were damn good. Overrated now? I'd say so. Overrated in the 90's? I don't know. Overrated in the 80's when they were building a cult following and making killer metal? No. They're still living off of that rep. Different strokes for different folks.
First of all I overlooked the fact that it's a 70's thread in which I would say kiss. Second of all being overrrated usually means that a band not only gets it's share of commercial time which Rush didn't and especially in the 70's but slammed by those outside of the core audience ie the mainstream audience along with critics and top 40 radio regardless of their influence they were leaving on other bands including metallica, their creativity, and musicianship. 2nd of all you admit on one hand that they were pretty much carried by a core audience then try to say they were all over the radio which btw it really wasn't until moving pictures which was after years of hard work did they finally get some respect on a hand full of songs by rock stations, and they were never a big mtv band neither. 3rd of all your assessment of metallica being carried by a core audience to try to make a point on how they were underrated is ironically the same thing you used to try to say Rush was underrated, and while metallica didn't jump into the charts from the get go over all were played more on radio and mtv than Rush was and without the level of quality in their music which btw even many thrash and metallica fans would admit, which started to decline after the first 2-3 albums yet are somehow considered one of the best rock/metal bands in rock history. It's nothing personal but this is just my objective view about who was underrated or overrated, and yeah, different strokes.

gorgon

Reaction score
I never said that Metallica was ever underrated. Read it again. They were rated right where they belonged in the 80's. Also, Permanent Waves was quite popular and received heavy airplay. Lastly, in your first paragraph you start on about what usually makes a band overrated, then you run on about rush without finishing your point.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Bad Company did a lot of good tunes, but I always found them to be overrated. IMO they never lived up to the hype. They lacked the honesty and integrity of Free even though their albums were more polished and had better production. I will always choose to listen to Free over Bad Company.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
The most overrated band of the'70s surely has to be The Sex Pistols. They were basically a one album band, and it was never about music anyway. They were just a vehicle for Malcolm McLaren to screw money out of the record companies (no sympathy for them - they deserved it). The most talented musician they had, Glen Matlock, was slung out in favour of a thug who couldn't play an instrument - Sid Vicious. I'm astonished at the amount of supposedly intelligent people who have' said they were 'important' and they 'changed the landscape'. They changed nothing. While their little swindle was going on bands like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and Pink Floyd were having huge, worldwide album hits.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online