Most Overrated Album Of The 80s

BeatlesFan3287

Reaction score
I would say that Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" was very overrated. Or at least compared to his 70s output. I'd personally choose "Born To Run" over "USA" anyday.

Also, I actually found Michael Jackson's "Thriller" to be not all that it promised. Sure it's got "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" but that's about it. His 70s album, "Off The Wall" was actually better.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction. It's an ok album, but nothing imo that hadn't been done before. I have heard some people describe it as some sort of revolutionary work.

eccentric man

Reaction score
with 'appetite for destruction' i think it really depends on whether or not your comparing it to everything else that came prior to it or to the rest of the mainstream when it came out. it wasn't nearly as revolutionary as something like nirvana's 'nevermind' but compared to the rest of the big mainstream acts in the late 80s like poison / warrant / bon jovi. GnR was a hell of a lot rawer and edgier. they seemed to be just as fed up with pop-'metal' as cobain only where cobain would simply scream to try to propel music forward axl seems more intent on bringing it back to 70s art rock excess.

for myself the most overrated thing about the 80s is the smiths. i've tried to listen to them before but all i could think to myself was... LAME.... aside from 'how soon is now?' nothing i heard by them was distinguishable from itself. it's like depeche mode without the synths or a happy version of joy division.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
there's that word again.
what would we do on message boards without making lists of things that we think are overrated?
when I say "overrated", i guess i mean something that everybody seemed to love one way or the other. maybe it who you were hanging out with a lot to do with if you think something is overrated or not.

I never got 'midnight oil'
I'm not sure if i think they were overrated.
i'm glad i haven't thought about them in a while.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I think with Thriller and Appetite for Destruction we've pretty much covered the field. Those two may be the most overrated albums of all time, not just of one decade.

Noneya

Reaction score
Born in the USA

Other that Born to Run and a precious few others, I dont get Springsteen.

Zombeels

Reaction score
I think any album from the 80's was overrated.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Van Halen - 1984
AC/DC - Back in Black
Rush - Moving Pictures

A lot of great stuff in the 80's (Dinosaur Jr., Bad Brains, The Residents) and a lot of white trash.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online