Most Overrated Album Of The 80s

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
;) Fair enough.

Yeah, Prince was never a "rock star" by any means. Pop, funk, soul, R&B and some experimental stuff, but never "rock", at least not in my opinion.

hairmetalmusic.com

www.hairmetalmusic.com
Reaction score
Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction. It's an ok album, but nothing imo that hadn't been done before. I have heard some people describe it as some sort of revolutionary work.

The fact that it sold more than 25 million copies, produced iconic songs like SCOM, Jungle and Paradise City, as well as delivering the big punch that almost ended an entire genre of music is why people call Appetite a revolutionary album. During the Illusions tour GnR was breaking world records in terms of touring numbers.

Nobody was doing what they did. I'd love to know what albums you think that Appetite was copying. You said "nothing that hadn't been done before" - could you give me some examples as I'd LOVE to go listen to those records!!!!

hairmetalmusic.com

www.hairmetalmusic.com
Reaction score
I'm not sure if some people on here understand the difference between "overrate" and "albums I personally don't like."

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if some people on here understand the difference between "overrate" and "albums I personally don't like."

Not a lot of people seem to. There are albums I love that I also do think are overrated.

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Like A Virgin - Madonna

220px-LikeAVirgin1984.png

It's got 2 decent songs on it and they aren't even her best work. The hits on her first album (Holiday, Borderline) hold up better today compared to Like A Virgin and Material Girl which have only gotten worse with age.

Yeah... I'll buy that. I much prefer her first album to Like A Virgin. Not that LAV is bad... just not as good as the hype led us to believe.

"Piece Of Mind" by Iron Maiden (1983)
is an album I feel was overrated. Out of their first 5 albums, it is their weakest.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online