Most Influential of the Decade

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: Most Influential of of Decade

Yes Sal.. And if all of us didn't fall into a groove as kids and liked stuff that would be embarrassing to admit as we get older.. Than we would have NEVER been kids in the first place..
We all liked some form of silly music as kids.. It turns out we just grow and start to aquire music that is no longer what your peers or what the norm for kids are.
My guess is the music industry's main focus is on giving into to what kids like.. They are the most active and gulible to buying anything that older people wouldn't buy. Kids spread the word like wild fire.. Blame it on the marketing groups who found them to be a money tree..

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

I don't really care much for those bands, but guys like "Pete Murray", "Skipping Girl Vinegar" & "Potential Falcon" are cool or Super Cool in my opinion! :tongue:

This Decade to me is quite simular to the 90s, both sharing that common element of there being good music being produced, though hard to find through all the crap which is dished out on the Radio or just through mainstream music.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Pete Murray, and that general type of music (Ben Lee, Jack Johnson etc.) :D

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Salmacis wrote:

I'm a big fan of Pete Murray, and that general type of music (Ben Lee, Jack Johnson etc.) :D

I just brought his "See The Sun" album which is good, but I think his "Feeler" album is better, haven't heard his more recent album yet though - do you know how that compares to his other albums?

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Summer At Eureka is my favourite of his, every song is awesome, I highly recommend it!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I dont think we can deem any band or album influential from the 2000's. It hasn't been around long enough to stand the test of "memorable" over a period of time. I haven't seen any music yet that has changed any genre or even created a new genre, which to me would be the true definition of "influential". There is nothing new out there, except maybe some of the experimental bands, and that stuff is truly hit or miss.

There are quite a few albums that I would consider essential to own, but that is because I love music and want to collect what appeals to me.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

I remember having a conversation about this on a different forum. The general consensus there was that Coldplay, Muse and Radiohead were the only three bands to consistently create good music that sold well worldwide for the last 10 years.

I'm more concerned about Taylor Swift being there than anyone else, since she was in primary school in 2001 when Coldplay released Parachutes, arguably their best album. (though I prefer Rush Of Blood personally)

Coldplay pissed me off when they ripped off joe satriani.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Explain? I have not heard of this.

In December 2008 Joe Satriani sued Coldplay, accusing them of plagiarising one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit claimed that the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" incorporated "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly."

In April, Coldplay denied in Federal Court that it copied parts of Joe Satriani's music for its hit song, "Viva La Vida ." Attorneys for Coldplay's band members also argued that any similarities between "Viva La Vida" and Satriani's "If I Could Fly" weren't enough to warrant damages. Satriani's song "lacks originality," Coldplay's response claims, and shouldn't receive copyright protection.

Then another singer jumped into the fight: Singer-songwriter Cat Stevens agreed that the Coldplay song, "Viva La Vida," sounds like one of his 1973 songs, but he stopped short of saying he would sue for plagiarism. "My son brought it to my attention and said: 'Doesn't that sound like 'Foreigner Suite?'" the musician, now known as Yusuf Islam, told Reuters. "The song definitely sounds like it," he said of his song. "It has such logical chords and the melody has to be what it is..."

Did something good come out of this mess? Coldplay frontman Chris Martin said that being sued for alleged plagiarism has inspired him to become a better songwriter. Martin said that he has tried to turn a negative experience into a positive: "Some people are suing us at the moment and although it was initially a bit depressing, now it's become really inspiring," he said in an interview for Coldplay's official website.

But it all came to an end in September with the news that Joe Satriani and Coldplay had settled their legal entanglements and the guitarist's lawsuit alleging copyright infringement had been dismissed, Satriani's representative confirmed to Billboard online.

I have heard both songs and about three notes are similar. Much ado about nothing. Just proves that in music there is nothing new under the sun. It has all been done before.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online