The MOST "Over-Rated" band(s)..... EVER.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Those bands that you listed are the sort of prog bands I admitted were more complex than radiohead (well Tool, Dream Theater and Rush at lest, I haven't heard the others really). But you'd find that most bands outside of prog aren't more complex, definitely a lot of bands a lot of people, you included I'm sure, hold dear.

I could I am just too lazy to actually look.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
What does complexity have to do with a good aesthetic anyway? What hits the ears is going to appeal to you whether or not some guy made the most complex arrangement known to man. This all comes down to a my music is better than yours "Nyah yah" :tongue: argument! Good luck finding a resolution because there won't be one. I have to say one thing though! CN has plenty of threads displaying his taste so you can feel free to actually go through some band threads to judge those bands yourself but I don't see any from you Fisha. Maybe people would know more about your bands if you put some work into displaying and exposing their talents to the forum. Just saying! :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
There is a Radiohead thread

I know but I also know that isn't the only band you like. Do you ever get sick of discussing them or defending them in an argument that will never end. Dude, this argument has been going on in forums that I was on like 4 years ago. It was a pointless debate then and it's no better now! :lmao: Not everyone likes my favorite band but you know what I do! I make a kickass thread and attract the fans of my band and *ding* no pointless roundabout arguments and no drama! :heheh: What do people like better A. The music itself! or B. The musical cockfight to prove their musical taste is superior to everyone elses? :think: This may be as legit of a question as how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop! :grinthumb

tootsie-pop-owl.jpg

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Just because opinions differ does not make one right and one wrong.

Their music to me compared to bands like Tool, Dream Theater, Rush, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Symphony X, Baroness, Kylesa, Isis, Nuerosis, Sepultura, Lamb Of God, Atheist, Death, High On Fire, Queensrÿche, Planet X . I could keep naming more, but if you really had to ask who makes Radiohead look simple then you most not explore other genres too much.

Hm yeah those bands have better drummers but I'm not buying the better guitarists in all those bands, Johnny greenwood is just as talented as many of those bands guitarists and he does some magnificent unique sounds and more interesting work that most of those bands don't. By the way that is where radiohead is prog, the greenwood brothers both come from jazz and classical backgrounds, radiohead is alternative because of the rest of the band.

By the way if I want to listen to the best complexed guitarist I'm not picking up a rock album it will be a classical guitar album

JuddBonus

Reaction score
This isnt an argument thread as much as like what one would hear Michael Palin and John Cleese do in the "The Argument Sketch" Dont you love it when this happens to you...

*snip*

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

M: No it isn't!

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!

(The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.)

O: Thank you, that's it.

*snip*

When I started this thread... of course separating hype from "What the hell were you thinking?" is like splices a "RCH" (dont ask) and theres many shades of gray to this... unfortunately, and I think thats where this thread has been float around.. I stopped listening to new music between grunge and the this so called tribal hip hop crap, so you know how long ago this was. But whats the sorriest thing to realize is that there actually are some really great bands out there that get lost in the shuffle... and Im NOT about to stand here watching this lame ass hustler on a street corner shuffling his three little cards around trying to pick an artist that isnt lame, shallow, no real talent and disappears within 5 years or less (only to appear in the tabloids for the bottom feeders).

And if you believe that Satian is running the music industry, one has to think... just how much did justin bieber, britney spears and the rest of them sold their souls actually for to get 15 minutes of "fame".

So Im only hope is two things...

1. If they attempt a remake of a classic thats presented in a new and exciting way that "I" as a musician would be envious not to try it sooner in the studio and continues from that point instead of a one trick pony.

2. Try to rediscover something that I missed years ago because my musical taste was not in that genres.

** snipet curtiousity from (montypython.net)**

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I remember that Monty Python skit...classic stuff.:D

You shouldn't be surprised by the reaction/commentary that follows in a thread like this one Judd, it always plays out like this.

Someone already stated the obvious, no matter what these are all just personal opinions and each one is as valid to the individual who shared them as anything else someone else posts taking the opposite point of view.

I took a hiatus from music when "Grunge" was sweeping the music world, and have been catching up over the last 3+ years since getting interested in music both old and new again, and have discovered so many excellent new bands/artists that I feel the same as when I was 20 years old and music was the dominant passion in my life.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online