Best of the decade

annie

metal maniac
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Posts
2,265
Reaction score
3
Location
on an island
annie wrote:

Saying one mans trash is another mans treasure does not mean that the lists are rubbish. Exactly the opposite. It reflects that the lists are very different and reflect the authors' personal tastes, just as your list would be different.

Yes I'm not personally attacking the songs on those lists - it's an attack on the list themselves. Just as you say that every-one's list would be different and why a list based on public opinion would be the definitive list to end all lists and not one editors opinion! :D

An if the public opinion were exactly the opposite of yours, what good would that do? I have read a thousand times that just because the public buys it does not mean that it is the best. I think there are plenty examples out there of No. ones that you hate.
 

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Posts
3,449
Reaction score
38
Location
Nowhere Man
annie wrote:

Why are you so cynical? When you are an editor you may do as you please. I am an editor and I have a mind of my own and if I were to compile a list I amd certainly not influenced by anything I hear or read. I make up my own mind. I think that most editors have the same attitude. We are a very independent bunch and do not answer to anyone. Just take the lists at face value and you can agree or disagree, but why question how they made their choices? I only posted them because I had never heard most of the songs and I thought others might be in the same boat. Never too late to learn something new.

Perhaps I'm over critical due to the fact that the information has been provided across the Internet. In my field of Interest Information and Research is essential. Based on my studies, the most critical way of obtaining information is to eliminate as much bias as possible in order to produce a high level of quality in that information. How could someone simply select something based on what the editor has just said? It simply seems like a cheap way of making a couple of bucks and smear what music is hot and what isn't! :(
Everyone listens to music, but not everyone likes what they hear - I just heard some of the worst Christmas Carols on Christmas Eve performed mainly from Pop artists with their Pop influences. Sure yes people like them, but it's not within every-one's interest - so one persons opinion based on one thing is a terrible approach! :wtf:
 

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Posts
3,449
Reaction score
38
Location
Nowhere Man
Soot and Stars wrote:

Here's the thing CP/M! A review is only a guide! I don't follow critics taste necessarily! I know what I like more than anyone! I follow their details and route out the elements of what I like from what they are saying! What made it rubbish besides you not liking it. When you say it's rubbish that makes you a critic as well. I think it's best to think that something didn't work for you as opposed to being rubbish. :grinthumb

I understand, though I guess my problem is I don't appreciate mainstream music a great deal, and these guys are flogging mainstream music more than other alternative varieties of music. And like I mentioned above those Carols were appalling - I usually watch it and usually be considerate and go through the stuff I don't like, but last year was like 90% trash because it was turned into a pop festival! :(
 

annie

metal maniac
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Posts
2,265
Reaction score
3
Location
on an island
annie wrote:

Why are you so cynical? When you are an editor you may do as you please. I am an editor and I have a mind of my own and if I were to compile a list I amd certainly not influenced by anything I hear or read. I make up my own mind. I think that most editors have the same attitude. We are a very independent bunch and do not answer to anyone. Just take the lists at face value and you can agree or disagree, but why question how they made their choices? I only posted them because I had never heard most of the songs and I thought others might be in the same boat. Never too late to learn something new.

Perhaps I'm over critical due to the fact that the information has been provided across the Internet. In my field of Interest Information and Research is essential. Based on my studies, the most critical way of obtaining information is to eliminate as much bias as possible in order to produce a high level of quality in that information. How could someone simply select something based on what the editor has just said? It simply seems like a cheap way of making a couple of bucks and smear what music is hot and what isn't! :(
Everyone listens to music, but not everyone likes what they hear - I just heard some of the worst Christmas Carols on Christmas Eve performed mainly from Pop artists with their Pop influences. Sure yes people like them, but it's not within every-one's interest - so one persons opinion based on one thing is a terrible approach! :wtf:

This is no different from book reviews. Book reviews are just that..not a popularity contest. No one is making bucks out of them other than their salary.
 

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Posts
3,449
Reaction score
38
Location
Nowhere Man
annie wrote:

An if the public opinion were exactly the opposite of yours, what good would that do? I have read a thousand times that just because the public buys it does not mean that it is the best. I think there are plenty examples out there of No. ones that you hate.

The Information gathered would be critical towards what different people would prefer, not whose against this song or that song. A survey simply wouldn't be a multiple choice of the 10 most popular songs from some expert, but a selection of peoples preferences. But ultimately the problem presents itself in regard to what people choose. People wouldn't consider the age of a song and surveys of that nature wouldn't determine what the best tunes are of the decade, but they would show what people's tastes would be in 2009/2010. Surely that must count for something?
 

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Joined
Sep 23, 2009
Posts
16,434
Reaction score
121
Location
Small Town NH, USA
Soot and Stars wrote:

Here's the thing CP/M! A review is only a guide! I don't follow critics taste necessarily! I know what I like more than anyone! I follow their details and route out the elements of what I like from what they are saying! What made it rubbish besides you not liking it. When you say it's rubbish that makes you a critic as well. I think it's best to think that something didn't work for you as opposed to being rubbish. :grinthumb

I understand, though I guess my problem is I don't appreciate mainstream music a great deal, and these guys are flogging mainstream music more than other alternative varieties of music. And like I mentioned above those Carols were appalling - I usually watch it and usually be considerate and go through the stuff I don't like, but last year was like 90% trash because it was turned into a pop festival! :(

Some people like pop! I like pop though I'm not limited by it! :grinthumb That's why it's pop because people like it and it can come from any genre initially. It doesn't look it's original authenticity and quality just because it becomes popular.
 

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Posts
3,449
Reaction score
38
Location
Nowhere Man
I think some of these radio stations who think they can used terms like "Best Songs of All Time" should also redefine themselves, it's more like "Best Songs According to our Listeners".

I simply thought review process for music is measured based on what's new and what appeals. I guess if I started managing these Books and Magazines there would be chaos.

All I know is the Pop star with the longest Falsetto is the worst! :( But Falsetto's have been going on for too long now - it was different when Del Shannon did it, though these days many people do it and they all sound alike - annoying! :( I watched The Glenn Miller Story there yesterday and it was interesting to know that even in that movie the Glenn Miller character recognised the importance of having a key sound to his band when trying to establish one and be successful. The result is people are saying that in this decade it's been difficult to find a driving force - someone who have paved the way for something new and different and interesting.

 

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Joined
Sep 23, 2009
Posts
16,434
Reaction score
121
Location
Small Town NH, USA
I think some of these radio stations who think they can used terms like "Best Songs of All Time" should also redefine themselves, it's more like "Best Songs According to our Listeners".

I simply thought review process for music is measured based on what's new and what appeals. I guess if I started managing these Books and Magazines there would be chaos.

All I know is the Pop star with the longest Falsetto is the worst! :( But Falsetto's have been going on for too long now - it was different when Del Shannon did it, though these days many people do it and they all sound alike - annoying! :( I watched The Glenn Miller Story there yesterday and it was interesting to know that even in that movie the Glenn Miller character recognised the importance of having a key sound to his band when trying to establish one and be successful. The result is people are saying that in this decade it's been difficult to find a driving force - someone who have paved the way for something new and different and interesting.


Edit: This is a non-specific rant in general and it started as a response to you CP/M but obviously wasn't about you after the first line or so so don't take my rant as directed towards you CP/M! :D

Think of it as an individual! I hate music movements because everyone spends more time bullshitting about what belongs to it! I liked Nirvana because I was a Nirvana fan! I liked the music on the charts that they supposedly killed off! A band touches me because they make music that connects to me! I don't give two ***** about what bands do for our culture because music is my grab bag and yours and yours etc.

I love the scattering of music today! I love when I find a band now, I'm liking _______ and ______ and not a stupid ******** label! If Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath came out years after some other geniuses defined metal I would still dig their music! In a way I hate music history even if the music has value! It's become a textbook rather than a spread out treasure hunt like I'd love it to be! :D
 
Last edited:

annie

metal maniac
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Posts
2,265
Reaction score
3
Location
on an island
Also in response to CP/M...

I don't understand the negativity. Ever heard of freedom of speech? Freedom of the press? These are just individual opinions, nothing more and nothing less. I respect others' opinions because I am not opinionated myself. I have an open mind and a very broad taste in music, from Bach to Metal. For me these lists were an introduction to music I had never heard and I might check them out. I thought others might too.

But post your own list and see how many agree with you. Or if you prefer polls, then look them up and post them.
 
Last edited:

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Posts
4,168
Reaction score
10
Location
Adelaide, South Australia
I must say I never pay any heed whatsoever to what critics say, whether they discuss music, movies or video games.

80% their opinions are completely different to mine. And Rolling Stone critics once stated that Led Zeppelin were overrated and would never stand the test of time (they obviously feel a right fool right now, whoever they are). So I choose to make my own opinions and ignore the critics :D
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
30,032
Posts
1,021,177
Members
6,426
Latest member
Marquita73

Members online

No members online now.
Top