Metallica (Official Thread)

charles_ryder

captain
Reaction score
Metallica is my all-time favorite metal band. They were an enormous cult in Russia in 80's. And then they recorded the Black album... But their first 4 albums are still great.
Who knows, when the new album will be issued?

metallica-monsters-of-rock-1991-moscow-4.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
New album? I would not count on seeing ANY new studio work from Metallica before 2016. If we do get something before that time, it might be a minor miracle.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its a joke that they haven't released anything in the big gap since Death Magnetic. And don't gimme the whole the longer it takes the better it will be argument because that doesn't dictate the quality of an album since plenty of great albums came out not even a year or two within each other.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Honestly, I think they are just busy putzing around with touring non-standard countries and are taking time off to do whatever the F it is they do in their time off.

As much as I loved their first 15 years together, it's been pretty much "**-hum"s and *yawns* for me since the millenium tour back in early 2000.

THey still kick ass in concert and if they never did another album, but still toured playing the old stuff, especially if they did full-album concerts on anniversaries of their earlier works, I'd be happy with that.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I was listening to Nothing Else Matters the other day. What a perfectly melodic rock song where Hetfield's singing voice (and not growling voice) takes center stage. I love the way the song builds and builds and finally explodes in that crescendo guitar solo at the end! Such a well-crafted song that planted heavy metal music finally in the mainstream so that the world could take notice. This was very likely the first "metal" song I myself heard. And then I would go and discover their real metal classics of the 80s. But had it not been for Nothing Else Matters, The Unforgiven and the like, I never would have known that a band called Metallica even existed.

I know metal purists hate it when their favourite band hits the mainstream but think about this - Everyone feels happy (whether they would like to admit it or not) when they find somebody else who is into similar music as they are. What better way to do this than to try to reach as many people as possible thru the mainstream? As long as the music is good, who cares?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually some people dislike it because its also extremely overplayed. I think its a good song with decent melodies but overplayed to the max.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Actually some people dislike it because its also extremely overplayed. I think its a good song with decent melodies but overplayed to the max.

Hmm very true. Yeah I can see anybody getting irritated with radio overplay. :gig

But somehow radio hasn't spoiled this song for me yet. Thank heavens for that.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can listen to it more now that I don't listen to radios and can avoid any real overplays of tunes. Even Enter Sandman I have started enjoying again.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Oh yeah... in my experience, Enter Sandman is way more overplayed on the radio than any other Metallica song. I do get bored of Enter Sandman easily but somehow that doesn't happen with Nothing Else Matters or The Unforgiven. Good to know that you are not sick of Sandman. :grinthumb

charles_ryder

captain
Reaction score
I am not metal purist. But I had another experience: I listened Metallica for a two years, and I knew them like a best thrash metal band in the world. And then they issued mainstream album... I was disappointed, and I still remember this disappointment.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online