Metallica (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The thing is it's not supposed to be singing. It's spoken word set to music. Lou Reed talking is a little too nasally even reciting poetry like a Bob Dylan vocal which can be grating. I don't see anything wrong with spoken word melded with rock. Lyrics are about as close to poetry as you can get so a good piece read well with good instrumentals could be an awesome thing. There's an art to reading and expressing poetry which doesn't have to be bland. It's how you phrase words and express the words. I think if Johnny Cash was alive and did a project like this with Metallica it would've been awesome. He has such sage with character and timber in his voice he could read a phone book and have my ears glued. just listen to this song which is practically spoken word set to music and imagine some heavier guitars to it. That's awesomeness in my opinion! :grinthumb
I like that song, I agree if Johnny Cash had done it I think it could have worked, I just don't think his voice and Metallica's style are good ingredients for an album or song. The nasal speaking is the problem indeed, but my biggest issue was the same riff being played right through most of the song, no flow there musically. That I don't necessarily put on Lou, that goes on Metallica themselves for not being creative enough musically, hence the St Anger comparison where they did the same orderistic pattern in their songs.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The thing is it's not supposed to be singing. It's spoken word set to music. Lou Reed talking is a little too nasally even reciting poetry like a Bob Dylan vocal which can be grating. I don't see anything wrong with spoken word melded with rock. Lyrics are about as close to poetry as you can get so a good piece read well with good instrumentals could be an awesome thing. There's an art to reading and expressing poetry which doesn't have to be bland. It's how you phrase words and express the words. I think if Johnny Cash was alive and did a project like this with Metallica it would've been awesome. He has such sage with character and timber in his voice he could read a phone book and have my ears glued. just listen to this song which is practically spoken word set to music and imagine some heavier guitars to it. That's awesomeness in my opinion! :grinthumb

Yeah this IS good and I agree spoken word can be really good when set to music.

The Monkees had a couple even.

For Cliff.

:heheh:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Please tell me this is a joke Metallica. This is beyond pathetic. :oyea:
St ****ING Anger is better then this.

When I first heard it I thought it was an utter pile of crap, but I've listened to it a few times now and have found, surprisingly, that it's grown on me a bit, only a teensy bit mind. Take Lou Reed away and I'd like it a whole lot more.

The other day I read somewhere that Lou Reed thinks this is the best thing he's ever done and that Metallica were moved to tears during album sessions. Hmm, if there were tears shed would they more likely have been through embarrassment and horror :think:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Take Lou Reed away and I'd like it a whole lot more.
Agreed, like I said,the music in it is good, but that's where my compliments end.

The other day I read somewhere that Lou Reed thinks this is the best thing he's ever done and that Metallica were moved to tears during album sessions. Hmm, if there were tears shed would they more likely have been through embarrassment and horror :think:
:oyea:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was moved to tears...in laughter at the entire song.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
^^^ I seriously believe that fans would be disappointed in that because the expectations for something "epic" would be so high, they couldn't help but be letdown by those guys getting together for a single collaberation.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hetfield and Ulrich better work with Mustaine and Ellefson after this ****ing mess.

Agreed, fans surely wouldn't be that disappointed after hearing this recent garbage.
I am the table.....worst lyrics but so damn funny. I cannot take this band seriously anymore.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.