Metallica most influential band since 1981

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I would say Venom and Motorhead had that first sound of speed/thrash metal. But it's just an endless discussion that will lead to nowhere. :grinthumb

That is correct, it is referred to as "proto thrash". According to BBC's "Seven Ages of Rock", Metallica started thrash metal with "Kill 'em All" and was the first of the so-called "big four" thrash bands - Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Overkill actually started before Metallica so I would say they if anything started the 'thrash' genre but I agree with Nololob on Venom and Motorhead.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't think there is/was any one defining moment where "thrash" was invented or first recorded or first played even. It was an evolution of a couple different styles, just like heavy metal in general. There are plenty of arguements out there from people saying Sabbath wasn't the first. No, they probably weren't, but they are the widely recognized because of the way that the did it and also because of who they influenced and how they influenced them.

Comparing Overkill to Metallica (to me) is like comparing a clownfish to a great white shark. Sure both swim in the same ocean, perhaps the clownfish came first, but the great white metallica is SO much more of a force in metal. especially from an influential and accomplishment standpoint.

*shrug*

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree, well with Metallica their early stuff anyway, not so much on their 2000s stuff.
Overkill is insanely underated as a thrash band when all people talk about is the big four.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
According to most rock historians, Metallica was the first to make a big splash.

From musicradar.com...A History of Thrash Metal
1983 was thrash metal's real Year Zero, the primitive efforts of the first thrash outfits notwithstanding. Metallica (who had relocated from LA to San Francisco the previous year to get away from their hometown's poncy hair metal scene) released their debut album, Kill 'Em All, followed closely by Slayer who unleashed the fearsome Show No Mercy the same year.

You can read more A history of thrash metal | Page 2 | MusicRadar.com

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online