1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What other bands would I like if I like classic metal, NWOBHM and thrash?

Discussion in 'Metal' started by Diamond Reo, Apr 6, 2021.

1. -micke-

-micke- Junior Member

Lots of good suggestions from everyone here If it's ok for some shameless self promotion here, I have a new project with a friend happening right now which is a dedication to allmost all bands mentioned above.

We've released two songs so far and is releasing a new one every month... Check it out, it's on all the digital platforms under the band name DESERT PLAINS (the songs are Armageddon and Locked Out Of Heaven).

Rock On!

E-Z likes this.
  2. E-Z

E-Z RAINBOW (1981-1984) the Joe Lynn Turner era

Try Blitzkrieg I believe they originally called themselves Highway Star after a Deep Purple song and may have come from around the Bristol area in the west of England and may have even started as a punk rock band in the mid/late 1970s before going more heavy rock and getting lumped in with the UK NWOBHM movement but they were a 2nd division band although they mite still be around playing as a bunch of old guys these days?.

Apparently their were two bands called Blitzkrieg a punk band and a metal band?. Anyway I had a double-cd about 20 years ago of a band called Blitzkrieg and the cd liner notes stated that the band was originally called Highway Star before changing their name to Blitzkrieg and becoming part of the NWOBHM movement in the UK in early 1980s.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    SanguineRemedy likes this.
  3. E-Z

Checkout these 2 cds below. They were originally released on vinyl in the UK back in 1980 as 'taster albums' for the NWOBHM movement I have both of them myself, the last 2 are later releases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_for_Muthas

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Senior Member

Did that first one have the Samson vocals, the Bruce Bruce vocals or both versions?

5. E-Z

Yeah it has Bruce on vocals. Personally I like the Head On album because it has the single Hammerhead b/w Vice Versa which I actually bought as a 45rpm vinyl single back in 1980. Later on in the 1980s & 1990s Paul Samson took the band in a more heavier blues/rock direction. It's a shame Paul died so young at 49 as he was a pretty good guitarist and his band recorded some excellent material.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  6. Ar-Pharazon

The CD I got many years ago had Paul on vocals. There is a later release that has the 7 tracks with Bruce's vocals as bonus tracks. I should at least D/L those.

E-Z likes this.
  7. E-Z

To be honest I don't know if it's Paul Samson or Bruce Dickenson who's singing on the Survivors album I haven't heard it for many years I just assumed it was Bruce?. I'll check it out later on this evening and let you know tomorrow.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Bruce sounded a little different from his IM years, but still unmistakable. I'm playing Head On atm and played Survivors last night.

If the CD has 15 tracks, it has both. If it has 8 tracks, probably just the Samson vox, though there could be another version.

E-Z likes this.
  9. E-Z

my bo
    Yeah I checked it out and basically the Survivor cd in my box set has two different versions of the same album on it with the first part of the cd having Paul Samson on vocals and the second part of the cd having Bruce Dickenson on vocals and it states that it's an 'Alternative Mix' with Bruce on vocals.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

This site has a good bio of Samson. Apparently it was all the way in 2001 before the Bruce version of Survivors was released.

E-Z likes this.