Metallica most influential band since 1981

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Kerrang Magazine readers put band above Maiden

The metal titans topped the poll ahead of Green Day and Iron Maiden, while Ozzy had to settle for ninth place.

Readers were voting to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the hard rock magazine, which was first published on 7 June 1981. There are some fairly glaring omissions (the Foos are in there but no Nirvana? Also, Guns N Roses anyone???) but the list perhaps represents the current readership rather than the mag's historical readers.

Lars Ulrich commented on the poll results: "It gives me a very warm and fuzzy feeling that Kerrang! magazine have voted Metallica as the band that most changed their lives. I remember the first issue of the magazine in 1981. I had made a pilgrimage to England because I was obsessed with the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. I travelled all over the country and that first issue accompanied me everywhere."

The top 10 bands included:
1. Metallica
2. Green Day
3. Iron Maiden
4. Slipknot
5. My Chemical Romance
6. Linkin Park
7. Bullet For My Valentine
8. Blink 182
9. Ozzy Osbourne
10. Foo Fighters

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
The top 10 bands included:
2. Green Day
4. Slipknot
5. My Chemical Romance
6. Linkin Park
7. Bullet For My Valentine
8. Blink 182
10. Foo Fighters

I can see Metallica, Ozzy, Maiden all being considered "influential".

Green Day influenced who or what bands? Compared to many others on this list, I can ~maybe~ see it. But BFMV? MCR?! C'mon, what the **** have these bands influenced? I'm not saying they are bad or that they suck any other/similar adjective you could insert, I'm talking about the actual topic at hand. Used to have some respect for Kerrang, but I haven't looked at it in years. This looks a lot more like a Rolling Stone magazine-type list.

This list of "influential" bands reeks of the south end of a northbound skunk.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
I can see Metallica, Ozzy, Maiden all being considered "influential".

Green Day influenced who or what bands? Compared to many others on this list, I can ~maybe~ see it. But BFMV? MCR?! C'mon, what the **** have these bands influenced? I'm not saying they are bad or that they suck any other/similar adjective you could insert, I'm talking about the actual topic at hand. Used to have some respect for Kerrang, but I haven't looked at it in years. This looks a lot more like a Rolling Stone magazine-type list.

This list of "influential" bands reeks of the south end of a northbound skunk.

As the article states: but the list perhaps represents the current readership rather than the mag's historical readers.

Yeah, I agree with your point. Age difference the reason?

And funny skunk remark...lol.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I like BFMV, MCR, Green Day and Blink just fine but IMO they were the ones who were influenced and really can't influence much beyond that.

Again I like them but there are NEW artists today that are much more influential.

:cheers2

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
IMO those bands are one of those popular and successful bands, not influential. I see no influence on Green Day, LP, Slipknot, My Chemical Romance and BFMV.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some say Metallica created thrash but I don't agree, Overkill was around just before them.
But I do agree Metallica did have an influence on music.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Some say Metallica created thrash but I don't agree, Overkill was around just before them.

Anvil, Diamond Head, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden ect. wer a few bands that influenced Metallica. :grinthumb

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

I would say Venom and Motorhead had that first sound of speed/thrash metal. But it's just an endless discussion that will lead to nowhere. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online