METAL EVOLUTION Documentary Series

Ashbless

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a question about this series. In the episode New Wave of British Heavy Metal there is a band at the 18 minute mark who I'm trying to identify.

They are a 4-piece with the guitarist playing a Gibson V and the bass player jamming a Rickenbacker. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your time in advance.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Looking forward to the next installment on the mighty Thrash Metal scene !!!!
Hopefully Dunn will give a look to bands like Kreator, Testament, Overkill, Exodus etc.

The last segment was a bit lame IMO though I really don't mind
The Crue, Dokken and Twisted Sister ( all bands I don't really see as Glam Metal , musically at least ), I like Dunn, am not really a fan of the style.

joe

Reaction score
Dunn is a little irritating. Most of those glam metal bands I place in the "bubblegum" metal sub-genre including Def Leppard.

Looking forward to the Thrash episode as well but I bet it will be focused on "The Big Four" with very little mention of the other artists. I guess he had to shine the spotlight on the more popular well known artists as his documentary probably wouldn't of been picked up.

I hope there is an episode on the Seattle Sound bands(?).

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Glam metal pretty much is bubblegum, IMO. Poison, Danger Danger, Pretty Boy Floyd etc all the really poppy and puffy, girlish bands that aren't even really metal bands in my view. On the other hand Twisted Sister had some good heavy metal albums ( Under the Blade,You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll, Stay Hungry) before they went commercial ( granted Stay Hungry had some big hits on it ) and they were more of a shock rock band then Glam,IMO. Crue, Ratt, Dokken, WASP and others dressed Glammy but were not really super wimpy musically so I never saw them as Glam "Metal" like most of that scene.

And G'N'R' Glam metal !?!?!? That's just stupid.

And I'm sure we will get hammered to death about Metallica, as per usual. It would be nice to see others that usually don't, get their due. OVERKILL ....one the very first thrash bands EVER and one of the best. I'm sure Dunn will touch on the German scene ( it's pretty much a must).

I think Grunge is gonna be covered as a metal off shoot as it was part of Dunn's metal family tree .

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah Wolf..You Can't Stop Rock and Roll should have been You Can't Stop Heavy Metal :heheh:

It was and still is a pretty traditional metal album. Ride To Live Live To Ride comes to mind....great song!

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Yeah, those early Twisted Sister albums were pretty much just METAL. I think that although Dokken and Ratt, Crue and others had the big hair etc. that they were really just 80's Metal in sound maybe not in appearance. I also tend to be more swayed by a bands sound then their look when I think about their "genre" ...I mean even Ozzy was all dolled up at that time and he is not glam metal . I think the look is a bit embarrassing ( to each their own MP not trying to disrespect you ) but those guys were still hard edge enough for me to consider them metal and are not what I think of when I think Glam Metal.
When I think Glam it's the bands that are more along the lines of Poison. Very poppy and no real balls to their sound.

Dokken, while very melodic were still METAL in my book. Hell, even Dangerous Toys and Telsa get lumped into the Glam scene these days :wtf:
But whatever, I guess everyone has their own ideas on what is what as far as musical terms are concerned.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Eh no disrespect taken ...I don't look that way now, and if I had to do it all again I wouldn't do so. In fact when I started playing in bands I was in a doom Sabbath type all original band and a power metal European influenced metal band.

Yeah I did dabble in the glam thing for awhile there...but musically we were trying to get it right you know? I think and I could be wrong, that the problem with "the look" of all that...at least for us back then...was being strongly influenced by the 70's glam bands..NY Dolls, Sweet and to a larger extent Alice Cooper and KISS and not getting it 100% right as most bands didn't.

I think alot of bands were influenced by KISS and classic glam, but after a while it wasn't dipping into your sister's closet anymore to throw something on that would piss people off. In time the stuff could be bought factory made and created a sterile appearance in the end ya know??

Having said that, I also played in a pop Beatle-esque type all original band that had a down played appearance and now I'm back to my roots in good old heavy metal.

Jeans...decent jackets....T-s....it's all good. :grinthumb

I am from the generation of sleeveless denim with band patches over leather jackets. :cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pirvu Alex

Members online

No members online now.