METAL EVOLUTION Documentary Series

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else here at CRF is following the 11 part Documentary : METAL EVOLUTION which is being aired on VH1 Classic ? So far it has been very interesting and informative. It's another one of metal historian and anthropologist Sam Dunn's babies. Dunn is well known for his previous work in the field, other efforts include : A Headbangers Journey, RUSH : Beyond The Lighted Stage, and other excellent metal and hard rock films.

So far two segments have aired:

Number 1: Pre- Metal .

Pre- Metal's focus is on the early influences that help bring metal about. The main genres that have put a stamp on Metal being Jazz, Classical and the Blues. Through interviews with greats like Bill Ward and other metal and hard rock icons the early stamp that Swing Time, and other musically forms that might otherwise not be so obvious, have put on the face of metal comes to light.
In fact Bill talks about and verbally demonstrates the imprint that Swing not only had upon his own playing but also on that of Black Sabbath themselves.
The Blues and Classical music are also given an in dept look and their impact on the genre can not be over looked. There are many wonderful stories about Pete Townstead and others like Ray Davies who helped to innovate the raw guitar sound that would later be taken up by metal musicians and carried on into new realms and extremes.

Number 2. Early US Metal
Segment number 2 concentrates on the late 60's, early 70's Detroit scene
and highlights the impact that fore runners like Alice Cooper, MC5, The Stooges, and other bands like Blue Cheer, early Aerosmith, Kiss, Ted Nugent etc. had on the face of early metal. They also devote time to the US garage rock scene and highlight it's importance to the development of Metal .

All in all a great doc so far, though I would have loved to see Blue Oyster Cult given some air time ( other then a quick, fleeting photo ) and I look forward to the next installment which is devoted to what I consider the true origins of Metal : Early UK Metal. Greats like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Budgie, Nazareth etc. are set to invade your living room not this coming Friday but the Friday to follow.

I have my DVR set to record and stand ready to throw up the horns \m/

Last edited:

hawk11

Reaction score
I saw both episodes and thought they were very well done. Have to record them the next time they're on. Like you said, Dunn has done some great work in the past and loved "A Headbangers Journey" especially the segment with Mayhem which had me in stitches. Also caught Dunn on TMS with Slash.

Found it interesting how Peter Criss and Ace Frehley were on the 2nd episode though not Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley which is ok with me being I like Peter and Ace can't stand the other two (guess Dunn couldn't meet Gene's price :rolleyes:).

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I saw both episodes and thought they were very well done. Have to record them the next time they're on. Like you said, Dunn has done some great work in the past and loved "A Headbangers Journey" especially the segment with Mayhem which had me in stitches. Also caught Dunn on TMS with Slash.

Found it interesting how Peter Criss and Ace Frehley were on the 2nd episode though not Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley which is ok with me being I like Peter and Ace can't stand the other two (guess Dunn couldn't meet Gene's price :rolleyes:).

HAHA that's so funny you mentioned that about Kiss. I made the same comment to my Bro as we were watching that same TMS program today, yeah I love my DVR.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Alright man. I will do. I'm sure they can be scoped out online...I hope...

:grinthumb

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
This was JUST on cable, but I missed it. But then I saw...it's on again in an hour.
HELL YEAH :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I've been watching these and I really like them. Sam Dunn does some great work. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.