METAL EVOLUTION Documentary Series

hawk11

Reaction score
In the book "Hammer Of The Gods" the author called Black Sabbath "Led Zeppelin clones"...............ok :rolleyes:.

And of course everyone and their mother ripped off Led Zeppelin. Heart, Bad Company, Boston, Whitesnake, Air Supply, The Carpenters, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Perry Como, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Howling Wolf, The Rolling Stones,The Who, Tom Jones, Susan Boyle ect. ect. ect.

Khor1255

Reaction score
In the book "Hammer Of The Gods" the author called Black Sabbath "Led Zeppelin clones"...............ok
That's weak.

Music is a continuing dialouge. It doesn't come from a vacuum. Back in the days when people were more or less encouraged to play each other's material there was a golden age. Nothing wrong with using parts of the dialouge as long as it's not direct plagerism.

But Sabbath ripping off Zeppelin? They both came out in 69 and were wildly different debut albums. Ditto for each subsequent album.

Hell, Black Sabbath sounds much more like the first Tull album than Zeppelin's first and it doesn't sound like that in any significant measure.

That guy sounds like one of those people who thinks that all hard rock sounds almost exactly the same.

Weak.

hawk11

Reaction score
That's weak.

Music is a continuing dialouge. It doesn't come from a vacuum. Back in the days when people were more or less encouraged to play each other's material there was a golden age. Nothing wrong with using parts of the dialouge as long as it's not direct plagerism.

But Sabbath ripping off Zeppelin? They both came out in 69 and were wildly different debut albums. Ditto for each subsequent album.

Hell, Black Sabbath sounds much more like the first Tull album than Zeppelin's first and it doesn't sound like that in any significant measure.

That guy sounds like one of those people who thinks that all hard rock sounds almost exactly the same.

Weak.

I totally agree with you.

While Sabbath and Zeppelin get compared to a lot no two bands could be further apart. Two great bands with completely different sounds and to say that Sabbath is a clone of Led Zeppelin is really idiotic.

I hear a bit of Cream in Black Sabbath, especially on the first album. If you listen to "Warning" you can hear the Creamesque jamming. Not saying that they ripped off Cream but were definately influenced by them which Ozzy has mentioned in the past.

"Hammer Of The Gods" was actually a good book except when the author would go on how all these bands were ripping off Zeppelin (who really sounded nothing like them) and even called bands like Mountain and Grand Funk "Boorish"............whatever :rolleyes:.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I totally agree with you.

While Sabbath and Zeppelin get compared to a lot no two bands could be further apart. Two great bands with completely different sounds and to say that Sabbath is a clone of Led Zeppelin is really idiotic.

I hear a bit of Cream in Black Sabbath, especially on the first album. If you listen to "Warning" you can hear the Creamesque jamming. Not saying that they ripped off Cream but were definately influenced by them which Ozzy has mentioned in the past.

"Hammer Of The Gods" was actually a good book except when the author would go on how all these bands were ripping off Zeppelin (who really sounded nothing like them) and even called bands like Mountain and Grand Funk "Boorish"............whatever :rolleyes:.

Are you sure that Hammer of the Gods wasn't written by Robert Plant using a phantom name :heheh:

hawk11

Reaction score
Are you sure that Hammer of the Gods wasn't written by Robert Plant using a phantom name :heheh:

Hmmmm..........possibly :heheh:. If I'm not mistaken the alledged author sliipped a couple of times saying "I'm the greatest singer in this damned universe and to hell with that fookin' Coverdale".

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I dig it alot. I DVR each episide and I have the 3rd one ready to watch.

hawk11

Reaction score
Another well done episode last night. Kind of figured Iron Maiden and Def Leppard would be the main focus though it was nice to Saxon and Diamond Head get a little attention. Would have liked to have seen the spotlight on bands like Angel Witch, Tank, Quartz, Witchfinder General ect. though I think Angel Witch was mentioned briefly.

Heard Lemmy refused to be on the episode being he doesn't want to be associated with heavy metal. Also claims Joe Elliott has been ripping him off for years.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Another well done episode last night. Kind of figured Iron Maiden and Def Leppard would be the main focus though it was nice to Saxon and Diamond Head get a little attention. Would have liked to have seen the spotlight on bands like Angel Witch, Tank, Quartz, Witchfinder General ect. though I think Angel Witch was mentioned briefly.

Heard Lemmy refused to be on the episode being he doesn't want to be associated with heavy metal. Also claims Joe Elliott has been ripping him off for years.

Motorhead, while being lumped into the NWOBHM was out before it began and Lemmy sees himself as more of the old guard (who by the way for the most part do not consider themselves metal either). Lemmy has never shied away from doing a horde of other metal programs and documentaries before so I think he is probably just not wanting to be lumped into a scene he feels ( and rightly so.. ) that he was not really part of.

I'm starting to find these Docs a bit shallow, although still enjoyable, myself.
He seems to be side tracking into other genres and sub-genres FAR too much at the expense of the smaller bands that are important to each genre. I expect more from someone who is supposedly taking an in dept look at these sub-genres.

BTW, Joe Elliot is a dumb ass. :D

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They actually said Sabbath are a Led Zeppelin rip off?
I do hope this series of documentaries hit dvd though, I have the VH1 dvd for Megadeths documentary so far.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeenaTrowb

Members online