METAL EVOLUTION Documentary Series

joe

Reaction score
I watched the first two episodes last night on MM. Fantastic. Some great footage. Blue Cheer, The Stooges, Sabbath, Alice but what blew me away was the MC5 in concert. I'm going to try and locate the documentary, "A True Testimonial".

mc5-a-true-testimonial(movie)-20110806100420.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I saw the trailer a few days ago, but have not been watching much TV the last while.

I'll wait until they replay it again from beginning to end, I really have a lot of respect for Dunn's work, not bad for a skinny Headbanger from Victoria B.C.

:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
I saw the trailer a few days ago, but have not been watching much TV the last while.

I'll wait until they replay it again from beginning to end, I really have a lot of respect for Dunn's work, not bad for a skinny Headbanger from Victoria B.C.

:grinthumb

Not too shabby for a hometown rocker.:grinthumb

joe

Reaction score
Watched episode 3 last night. Again, fantastic. Some great footage.

Dunn had asked Jimmy Page and Robert Plant to appear in the documentary but they declined. Dunn stated, "that they (Page & Plant) didn't want to be associated with heavy metal". What's with that? I'm not really surprized. Besides, I've never seen(heard) LZ as metal anyway. Certain members from Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Judas Priest and Sweet appeared.

Gotta thank Wolf for the head ups on this doc as I would of missed it.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Actually I wonder, if they mentioned Nazareth. If they did, I'd love to see it, but I know the band, just like LZ, don't want to be considered as heavy metal.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
For some reason they switched the airing date to Saturday nights here so I am still waiting to record the next installment.

Kind of an uppity attitude from Led Zeppelin but then not really that surprising coming from
a guy who once, according to Ozzy, ask Ozzy what it felt like. When Ozzy replied that Sabbath were just very grateful for their success, again according Ozzy, Plant said, "No, I mean what does it feel like to be in the same room w/ the greatest rock singer in history ?"
Ozzy's reaction ??... :wtf:

Also Plant's non stop whining about anyone ( Whitesnake, Great White etc etc ) and everyone who ever played hard rock after LZ
"They ripped me/ us off !!!" is ridiculous considering that they lifted Willie Dixon ( and others) songs word for word and note for note while just basically changing the delivery and claimed them as their own songs.

Don't get me wrong I love Zeppelin but that rock star attitude is kinda lame and I'm not surprised by their refusal to take part.

@ Nolob, early Nazareth is as metal as it gets in the 70's whether they like it or not .....

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
For some reason they switched the airing date to Saturday nights here so I am still waiting to record the next installment.

Kind of an uppity attitude from Led Zeppelin but then not really that surprising coming from
a guy who once, according to Ozzy, ask Ozzy what it felt like. When Ozzy replied that Sabbath were just very grateful for their success, again according Ozzy, Plant said, "No, I mean what does it feel like to be in the same room w/ the greatest rock singer in history ?"
Ozzy's reaction ??... :wtf:

Also Plant's non stop whining about anyone ( Whitesnake, Great White etc etc ) and everyone who ever played hard rock after LZ
"They ripped me/ us off !!!" is ridiculous considering that they lifted Willie Dixon ( and others) songs word for word and note for note while just basically changing the delivery and claimed them as their own songs.

I'm not sure what year "The Golden Boy" said to this to Ozzy as I'm not sure when Plant became a Zen master.

When was Robert Plant relevent on the music scene? 1984/85 with the Honey Drippers.

"If we see pride among people who have no idea about Dharma, it is understandable. However, if afflictive emotions and haughtiness are present among Dharma practioners, it is great disgrace to practice".

His Holiness The 14th. Dalai Lama

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Ozzy said that the Robert Plant incident occurred right after Sabbath had returned from their first hugely successful American tour. So that would be at the heyday of Led Zeppelin when he allegedly boasted of being the greatest being to every roam the earth/ greatest rock star. His complaining about Whitesnake etc of course occurred while he was the "Tall Cool One" :rolleyes:

Buddhism or no, Plant has shown alot of boastful pride , lack of humility, and extreme amount of self importance in the face of mere mortals such as Ozzy, over the years. I am not surprised by his arrogant refusal to take part. Glad Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Geezer etc are not as full of themselves as he is, even though they like Zepp, do not claim to be Metal bands. The fact is even John Mayall, a blues guy, was willing to talk about his role in the advancement of heavy rock that led to Heavy Metal. Just saying it isn't shocking that they would stick their nose up considering the history.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed that bands like Budgie, Nazareth and others that were listed on the chart were not given time for a brief over view of their histories. Still a good segment all in all though.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Well it is a shame there was nothing about Nazareth and Budgie, although Burke Shelley talked about Budgie and early metal in BBC documentary Metal Britannia.
If not Nazareth, then I hope for Uriah Heep to be appeared as a part of prog metal.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online