1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marillion (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by Nirvanadude, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Aktivator

Aktivator aka Hightea

Re: Marillion!

favorite Marillion albums

fish era-Clutching at Straws
    H era-Brave and Marbles

2. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

My Favorite Tune!! :grinthumb

3. Gabble Ratchet

Gabble Ratchet Senior Member

4. Stout

Stout Senior Member

They are truly one of the better progressive bands out there nowadays in the fact that they don`t try to fit into the `sounds like Genesis, Yes,; mould that some progressive fans seem to go by when evaluating a new progressive rock band. Perhpas they were in the Genesis mould when they started out, but 27 years later, marillion is a completely different band.
    The better half loves them too, well the Steve Hogarth era anyways. We got into the band around the era of `Brave(1994), one of the best concept albums ever made. Since our inception, we have seen the band several times when they have been able to tour America. .
    The best concerts I have ever seen thus far was when Marillion played a three night weekend up in Montreal last April. They were the best sets of shows I have witnessed form the band. Marillion music is positively dripping with emotion within the lyrics(Steve Hogarth is an incredible ,insightful , perhaps a bit too heavy lyricist), and the music. It`s intense music not for the faint-hearted. `Holidays in Eden was very pop, but they have left that period well behind.
    Each album is different and never the same. Marillion probably doesn`t belong in the progressive genre, because they are a band that is hard to categorize.
    My top 5'
    1/ Brave(1994)
    2. Afraid of Sunlight(1995)
    3. Marbles(2004)
    4. Anaroknaphobia(2001)
    5. Seasons End(1989)
    Just last night, the better half and I saw guitrist Steve Rotherey giving a guitar clinic and playing with some local musicians at a local pub in NYC. He is quite incredible and diverse on guitar. Talk about fluid!
    And I might add, he is a very gracious and accomodating gentleman when it comes to conversing with fans and taking pictures.

5. LG

LG Fade To Black

I only have 4 Marillion CD's and they are all from the Fish era.

I have not had time to even listen to Hogarth yet.

I will see if I can find Brave Stout, and take it from there.:tup:

6. Aktivator

Aktivator aka Hightea

top six

1. Clutching At Straws
    2. Marbles
    3. Brave
    4. Misplaced Childhood
    5. Script for A Jester's Tear
    6. Seasons End

Fish is the better of the two but I love H (Horgarth) too. I've got most of their studio albums and plenty live stuff. Didn't see them live until the Marbles tour in 2004. Also saw Fish in 2008 he puts on a great live show.

7. Sweaty

Sweaty ThE OtHeR rAmOnE

The first two are legend reminded me of Genesis, then after that they changed and got more commercial, when fish left I got bored with them, met Fish, nice guy but small.

8. LG

LG Fade To Black

He might be small in stature Sweaty, but he is a giant when he sings, I really like his vocals a lot.

9. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

I saw Marillion in 84` with Nazareth and Status Quo. They all put on a top show but for some reason I never got any deeper into Marillion. Maybe I should back track and get some of their gear, with Fish anyway, (I think Fish is about 6' 5" Sweat).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. Aktivator

Aktivator aka Hightea

I assume that's a joke about Fish being small.

[​IMG]

Fish's solo albums are good too. Communion, Field of crows and 13th Star are great albums.

If you got bored wih them you may want to try the H albums. They are a different band I reccommend Marbles.