Reaction score
Re: Marillion!

favorite Marillion albums

fish era-Clutching at Straws
H era-Brave and Marbles

Stout

Reaction score

They are truly one of the better progressive bands out there nowadays in the fact that they don`t try to fit into the `sounds like Genesis, Yes,; mould that some progressive fans seem to go by when evaluating a new progressive rock band. Perhpas they were in the Genesis mould when they started out, but 27 years later, marillion is a completely different band.
The better half loves them too, well the Steve Hogarth era anyways. We got into the band around the era of `Brave(1994), one of the best concept albums ever made. Since our inception, we have seen the band several times when they have been able to tour America. .
The best concerts I have ever seen thus far was when Marillion played a three night weekend up in Montreal last April. They were the best sets of shows I have witnessed form the band. Marillion music is positively dripping with emotion within the lyrics(Steve Hogarth is an incredible ,insightful , perhaps a bit too heavy lyricist), and the music. It`s intense music not for the faint-hearted. `Holidays in Eden was very pop, but they have left that period well behind.
Each album is different and never the same. Marillion probably doesn`t belong in the progressive genre, because they are a band that is hard to categorize.
My top 5'
1/ Brave(1994)
2. Afraid of Sunlight(1995)
3. Marbles(2004)
4. Anaroknaphobia(2001)
5. Seasons End(1989)
Just last night, the better half and I saw guitrist Steve Rotherey giving a guitar clinic and playing with some local musicians at a local pub in NYC. He is quite incredible and diverse on guitar. Talk about fluid!
And I might add, he is a very gracious and accomodating gentleman when it comes to conversing with fans and taking pictures.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I only have 4 Marillion CD's and they are all from the Fish era.

I have not had time to even listen to Hogarth yet.

I will see if I can find Brave Stout, and take it from there.:tup:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

top six

1. Clutching At Straws
2. Marbles
3. Brave
4. Misplaced Childhood
5. Script for A Jester's Tear
6. Seasons End

Fish is the better of the two but I love H (Horgarth) too. I've got most of their studio albums and plenty live stuff. Didn't see them live until the Marbles tour in 2004. Also saw Fish in 2008 he puts on a great live show.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

The first two are legend reminded me of Genesis, then after that they changed and got more commercial, when fish left I got bored with them, met Fish, nice guy but small.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

He might be small in stature Sweaty, but he is a giant when he sings, I really like his vocals a lot.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I saw Marillion in 84` with Nazareth and Status Quo. They all put on a top show but for some reason I never got any deeper into Marillion. Maybe I should back track and get some of their gear, with Fish anyway, (I think Fish is about 6' 5" Sweat).

Last edited:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

The first two are legend reminded me of Genesis, then after that they changed and got more commercial, when fish left I got bored with them, met Fish, nice guy but small.
I assume that's a joke about Fish being small.

2608921769_48d535456f.jpg

Fish's solo albums are good too. Communion, Field of crows and 13th Star are great albums.

If you got bored wih them you may want to try the H albums. They are a different band I reccommend Marbles.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online