Katy Perry (Official Thread)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Not bad, though some of her stuff is starting to sound a bit 'samey'.

Btw, I decided that Zooey Deschanel, Katy Perry, and Emily Blunt are all the same person...

Emily Blunt is an actress. She was fantastic in The Young Victoria! Never could stand Zooey and her "cat-drowning-in-a-bathtub" vocals. :bonk:

TheSound, I'm not familiar with the third girl but I've always thought Katy and Zooey have a striking resemblance. :)

While I agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure I would bring the "samey" hammer down on Katy just yet as she's only had two albums so far, and those two albums are pretty stark in their contrast. The Teenage Dream bonus tracks will naturally have that same kind of feel but I feel like the next album could take a different route.

When One of the Boys came out she was touted as a complete pop-rocker. Her first tour was the Warped Tour for god's sake! That was during the era when pop-rock ala Kelly Clarkson was dominating the scene. Then by the time dance-pop took over Katy was there with Teenage Dream, arguably the best album of the genre. Could her third album change direction again?

I think what TS is trying to say is that a lot of the songs on Teenage Dream, at least in my opinion, seem interchangeably similar. Yes there's a big difference between the two albums but her second one really had a pretty consistent formula with at least 2 or 3 of the songs, which is why I really appreciated "Not Like the Movies" on this album because it was a bit out of what Katy's comfort zone seemed to be in this particular album, though there are a few tunes on One of the Boys that seem to fit that same type.

I think she should go more of an acoustic route with her new album too, AAG. She's already established herself as one of the pop staples in contemporary music and with peers like Adele emphasizing simplicity and humility in music the extravagant pop princess thing seems a little outdated, at least in today's market and perhaps it will make a comeback later on as expected since it's an integral part of the pop music fabric.

I have to ask AAG, have you heard Rihanna's "You Da One"? :bow: Not sure if it's a single yet but I LOVE IT.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I really like Katy, I never thought I would, but my eldest son is obsessed with her (in a purely teen-fantasy sort of way, or at least I hope in that way!) and so we took him to see her at the MEN Arena a few months ago, and it was knock-out entertainment. She'***** that well tried rock-chick recipe for hits with her song writing style, like with 'Part of Me'... 16 bars of catchy verse, followed by a 16-bar heavy chorus, then repeats, then a break, then a repeat of verses 1 and 2 to a big finish .... which works, but I'd like to hear her do a few more ballads and maybe some acoustic stuff.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Well she did do MTV Unplugged! :D

I have to respectfully disagree that any of the Teenage Dream songs are interchangable. Every single one is very distinct iyam. Sun & fun party feel for California Gurls, classic romance for the title track, pure anthemia for Firework, pure ballad for Not Like The Movies and upbeat ballad for The One That Got Away, out of this world pounding atmosphere on ET, pop-rock feel for Hummingbird Heartbeat, industrial feel for Circle The Drain, Pearl is trancey, TGIF feels hazey and hungover, Who Am I Living For has an epic sort of fantasy feel, and Peacock is like a sports arena chant. I'd say it's at least as diverse as One of the Boys. I don't think there's anything wrong with Katy sounding like Katy, if I wanted a different style of music I'd listen to a different artist. But I completely agree it would be awesome for her to do more acoustic stuff! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Sure, to me and you they're not interchangeable but to someone who is new to her music they may seem that way. I should have clarified my meaning. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Sure, to me and you they're not interchangeable but to someone who is new to her music they may seem that way. I should have clarified my meaning. :grinthumb

I find that to be the case with many artist. I get on Nickleback all the time but one of my favorite artist ever is like a harder Matchbox 20 style band and I love the guitar hooks and vocal so much that every song stands out while to others they'd sound generic. :cheers2

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I would argue that applies to just about any artist. If you're not familiar with classic rock it can be hard to tell Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen & Kiss apart, or if you're not familiar with jazz you might not hear the difference between fusion and smooth jazz, or with metal between death metal and black metal. :grinthumb

Oh, I forgot! I haven't heard much of Rih Rih's new album yet but I do love We Found Love. Some really incredible production on that track! I've heard that the new album is like.... unbelievably sexual. I'm kinda worried, bahaha. :pullhair::cheers2

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Matchbox 20 was always one of those autopilot bands to me Soots, and 3 Doors Down. That being said I never got into those two but I dig Katy. I've been surprised the she has appealed to some of the rockers on here. Means she has a special something. :grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Wow I am loving the amount of traffic the Katy thread is getting atm! I think we're all in it at the same time lol! <3

Matchbox 20 is cool by me, like the song 3AM plus Rob Thomas with Santana on Smooth... one of my ALL-TIME favorite love songs. Damn that song cooks! :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Wow I am loving the amount of traffic the Katy thread is getting atm! I think we're all in it at the same time lol! <3

Matchbox 20 is cool by me, like the song 3AM plus Rob Thomas with Santana on Smooth... one of my ALL-TIME favorite love songs. Damn that song cooks! :)

Then I recommend the band Greenwheel who to me is a rawer Matchbox 20 with a harder edge! :grinthumb

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I still think its funny how much response this thread has received and thought so even after about... ten responses. :heheh:

I find it funny how Lady Gaga seems so shunned on here and Katy has found more acceptance on the forum. Must be a difference in their overall demeanor that people find endearing in Katy over Gaga. She seems more approachable as does her music.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Staff online

Members online