Jimi Hendrix Experience (Official Thread)

gorgon

Reaction score
Jimi was a very humble cat. I'm sure he had no idea how respected his talent would be all these years after his death. I rate nobody higher as a player. He made mistakes, and there are people now that can play faster, more clean, and can cross more genres, but his groove and how simply kick ass his playing comes across separates him from the rest. imo.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah the version of HEAR MY TRAIN A COMIN (sometimes called GETTING MY HEART BACK TOGETHER by Jimi) from May 1970 at the Berkeley community centre gig is suppose to be the by those in the know ''the best live recorded version of this blues song'' that there is.

I always preferred HEAR MY TRAIN A COMIN over Jimi's other big blues number RED HOUSE but when your talking about the worlds GREATEST EVER ROCK GUITARIST & MUSICIAN thats just splitting hairs guy's!!. :tongue:

gorgon

Reaction score
Yeah the version of HEAR MY TRAIN A COMIN (sometimes called GETTING MY HEART BACK TOGETHER by Jimi) from May 1970 at the Berkeley community centre gig is suppose to be the by those in the know ''the best live recorded version of this blues song'' that there is.

I always preferred HEAR MY TRAIN A COMIN over Jimi's other big blues number RED HOUSE but when your talking about the worlds GREATEST EVER ROCK GUITARIST & MUSICIAN thats just splitting hairs guy's!!. :tongue:

Yeah, the guitar intro and the solo are unreal. I usually play the into a bunch of times before I let the disc spin away in my car. The solo reminds me of a pissed of demon screaming in pain.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
Jimi was a very humble cat. I'm sure he had no idea how respected his talent would be all these years after his death. I rate nobody higher as a player. He made mistakes, and there are people now that can play faster, more clean, and can cross more genres, but his groove and how simply kick ass his playing comes across separates him from the rest. imo.
In my opinion the great guitarists sort of wing it and improvise-really go for it-Clapton mentioned this about jimi when he was jamming.He was in awe and said he just went for it :bow:

E-Z

Reaction score
That 1970 Berkeley community centre version of HEAR MY TRAIN A COMIN was first released on the RAINBOW BRIDGE vinyl soundtrack album in 1971 and i agree it's a 'great performance' which only wets the appitite to hear the whole 1st set from which it came from.

The 2nd nights set from Berkeley has been available for several years now but as of the moment the complete 1st nights set from Berkeley as yet to be released?.

Some numbers have been released from the 1st nights set such as-

1.Purple Haze on the Jimi Hendrix vinyl soundtrack album released in 1973.
2.Freedom Released by Alan Douglas back in the early 1990s
3.Ezy Rider Released by Alan Douglas back in the early 1990s
4.Red House Released by Alan Douglas back in the early 1990s

Freedom-Ezy Rider-Red House were released on a single cd as part of the Berkeley community centre video cassette 'put out' by Alan Douglas.

Tucking Fypo

Australian rocker
Reaction score
Jimi was a very humble cat. I'm sure he had no idea how respected his talent would be all these years after his death.

He was also very insecure which is very odd for someone so successful. Most successful musicians and actors are often very ego driven, over confident people.

Last edited:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
The other day I watched The Will episode about the divvying up of his estate among his lovers, children and family. Interesting dynamics among his father, his stepbrother and stepsister.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
In my opinion the great guitarists sort of wing it and improvise-really go for it-Clapton mentioned this about jimi when he was jamming.He was in awe and said he just went for it :bow:
But then again when cream came out with white room hendrix asked clapton how he orchestrated and played something so progressive. I love much of hendrix's music and while he might have been flamboyant and at times "cutting edge" for a lack of a better term and made some soulful songs he was at least a little overrated. Other guitarist like clapton and page for examples could outplay the guy no problem and hendrix knew it. And again I'm not crapping on him but just being objective and as I've mentioned love much of his work, And to be fair I think townshend was also limited because he played fairly simple stuff and couldn't play a solo to save his life, and I'm just being objective about him because I'm a who fan. Sometimes what works is a musician staying within their boundaries and working with the band to create an overall quality sounding song. The beatles were another example of creating quality songs as a whole but maybe with the exception of mc cartney which his talents developed over time had any individual in the band that was extraordinary or progressive, and come to think of it that pretty much describes kiss. If a band can record a song with a general sounding quality, have feel and soul, and have songs that connect personally to people that's all that matters sometimes. Too many people think because an artist or a band made some good songs they think those individual musicans within those bands must have been extraordinary but that's not always the case. These aforementioned musicians were better than the average joe on the street, garage, or bar, and professional but again they weren't the greatest in the professional music world like their reputations would have people to believe. For the very reasons I've mentioned is how some bands and especially individual musicians become overrated.

On the other hand you may have a band with extraordinary musicianship, song writing, and creativity but proverbially go over peoples heads with what they have created and not being able to fit in the mainstream and because of this get overlooked or even criticized even though they have made quality sounding music with depth and this is how bands get underrated and if it weren't for a core audience that gets it along with hard work for years wouldn't make a living in the music profession.

I've learned over the years that the vast majority of people are bias when it comes to music and that "who's better than whom" is in reality who is more popular than whom and that things have become too subjective.

Last edited:

gorgon

Reaction score
"Other guitarist like clapton and page for examples could outplay the guy no problem and hendrix knew it."

That's laughable. John Bonham thought he sucked as a drummer, but we all know better. Eric Clapton was a steril perfectionist, and Jimi slays him. Page is my second favorite guitar player, and Jimi torches him. These guys used to watch Jimi play in awe. Your opinion is fine, and you're entitled to it, but weighed against every greatest guitar player list it don't hold weight.

Oh, and here ya go.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online