Is Van Halen a hair band?

Is Van Halen a hair band?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vic2010

Reaction score
Van Halen might've been the "template" for the so-called *hair-metal* scene. I wasn't listening to a lot of metal back in the late 70s/early 80s but I remember seeing the that whole scene evolve. As far as the fashion and "look" of all these bands I'd say it was Van Halen that kicked it off. At least in the American, metal scene (the LA Sunset Strip sleaze scene especially) Van Halen definitley influenced hard/rock and metal. Without VH there'd probably not been a Motley Crue or Ratt. I really think VH kicked hard rock and metal in the ass. A once really great band.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Van Halen might've been the "template" for the so-called *hair-metal* scene. I wasn't listening to a lot of metal back in the late 70s/early 80s but I remember seeing the that whole scene evolve. As far as the fashion and "look" of all these bands I'd say it was Van Halen that kicked it off. At least in the American, metal scene (the LA Sunset Strip sleaze scene.

I agree. The punk rockers rebelled against the excesses of arena rock but Van Halen came along and got all that stuff rolling full tilt again.

:drums:

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I think like any band they were doin' what they were supposed to be doing...doing what they loved and believed in...giving rock music a kick in the ass in their own way. All rock music does this whether it be prog,rock,metal, R & B...whatever.

Hence why I think it's boring to listen to only one style. It's all art and it all means something. :grinthumb

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
Hair Band is a moronic term to begin with. Anyone I know who was a fan of that type of music never used that term. Bands falling under that category were just metal/hard rock to us. I guess a good term for the 80's bands would be "melodic metal."

Van Halen is hard rock/metal.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I think like any band they were doin' what they were supposed to be doing...doing what they loved and believed in...giving rock music a kick in the ass in their own way. All rock music does this whether it be prog,rock,metal, R & B...whatever.

Hence why I think it's boring to listen to only one style. It's all art and it all means something. :grinthumb

Quite right. :grinthumb

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
You can't do nothing to a song if it's good to begin with! The existence of a cover doesn't tarnish the original by existing so no harm, no foul! :D

Unless you actually have to listen to Van Halen's versions of those songs.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Unless you actually have to listen to Van Halen's versions of those songs.

Eh, I prefer Van Halen's version, especially of "You Really Got Me". The Kinks' version just seems boring to me in comparison.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Eh, I prefer Van Halen's version, especially of "You Really Got Me". The Kinks' version just seems boring to me in comparison.
I agree. The Kinks version was nice for what it was, back in the day, but VH put boot to ass on that song and gave it life.

some people are simply just snobby/snarky when it comes to remakes

(myself included at times)

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Lynch said:
...but VH put boot to ass on that song and gave it life.

Their version always made me just want to put a boot to their ass - or the radio anyway. Typically though I just changed the station. Van Halen only intruded upon my consciousness again when I read newspaper accounts about that infamous brown M&Ms incident. I mean who did they think they were, Diana Ross?

:lols:

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online