Is Van Halen a hair band?

Is Van Halen a hair band?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
So can Van Halen be differentiated from the hair bands?

Attachments

• A davidleeroth.jpg
    A davidleeroth.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Fox.. you sure are stuck on this hair band thing..:lmao:
I voted NO!! The whole hair band thing was probably tagged by MTV..And it just went from there.. Just because bands have long hair dosn't give anyone the right to label them a hair band..
If that was the case then The Beatles.. The Doors.. The Who.. Etc Etc Etc.. were all hair bands..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree with Thumper, NO, VH is a hard rock/metal band one of the most influential bands of their time and the debut album is one of the top 50 albums ever recorded, in my view anyway.:D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I wouldn't know! I don't get into genres or labels! I get into bands! :grinthumb
(think I'll copy and paste this one for a while) :heheh:

As for Van Halen I think the music speaks more about what they are than anything else ever could and I'm not even a devout fan of theirs! :D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Just because bands have long hair dosn't give anyone the right to label them a hair band..
If that was the case then The Beatles.. The Doors.. The Who.. Etc Etc Etc.. were all hair bands..

You're absolutely right on that point!

Long hair does not a hair band make. Long pouffy hair by itself does not a hair band make. But long pouffy hair combined with over-the-top guitar pyrotechnics and excesses in the costuming and theatrics area make for a hair band, all of which Van Halen exemplified.

I present to you some further evidence:

Attachments

• A David 2.jpg
    A David 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 66
  • A David 3.jpg
    A David 3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 64
  • A David.jpg
    A David.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 65
  • A Dave 5.jpg
    A Dave 5.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 65

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
As for Van Halen I think the music speaks more about what they are than anything else ever could and I'm not even a devout fan of theirs! :D

I agree with you there. What Van Halen did to certain classics like "You Really Got Me" and "Oh Pretty Woman" was indeed painful.

:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I agree with you there. What Van Halen did to certain classics like "You Really Got Me" and "Oh Pretty Woman" was indeed painful.

:grinthumb

You can't do nothing to a song if it's good to begin with! The existence of a cover doesn't tarnish the original by existing so no harm, no foul! :D

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
"Hair bands" was the derogatory term popularized by MTV in the 1990s and derives from the tendency among such bands to have styled their long hair".
The true title these bands went by during the 80's was GLAM Metal..
Grunge hit the mainstream in the 90's and wanted to be separate from the 80's bands thus giving them their own identity not associated with "Hair Bands" or Hair farmers..
Van Halen was lumped into the Hair band title because they came from California and were apart of the sunset strip era where most of the hair bands originated from..
Keep in mind the band "Angel" because they were before Van Halen and were as much apart of the Glam Metal scene.
So basically.. You can create a list of bands during the 70's and 80's and call them a "Hair Band" But the term was thought up and as above was a derogatory term used by the wave of Grunge fans..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online