Is Van Halen a hair band?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Thumper said:
But the term was thought up and as above was a derogatory term used by the wave of Grunge fans....

Well I'm certainly not a fan of grunge either. But neither am I opposed to the term "hair metal" band as a synonym for "glam metal" band since evidently the two terms have come to be equated in general usage.

You seem to be agreeing, however, that Van Halen was a glam rock band. Yet you voted "No". Did you vote "No" simply because you don't like the term "hair band"? Would you be willing to describe Van Halen, Cinderella, Motley Crue and Bon Jovi all as glam rock bands then?

:huh:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
No.

Never-ever thought they were either.

''Hair Band'' music didn't really start till 85-86, and by that time David Lee Roth was out of Van Halen. And they certainly weren't a hair band with Sammy Hagar.

''Hair Bands'' just tried to top Van Halen and take it further, but failed on the grand scale. I'm not saying mid to late 80's Glam/Hair metal, whatever you wanna call it sucked - it's just they weren't....Van Halen.

Then again, I'm not a huge ''hair metal'' fan, but they had their moments - lots of fun songs. I liked some of it. 80's Hair Metal Bands were waaaay better than every depressed assed Grunge band that ever existed. Kinda getting off topic, so I'll end it here. :D

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Well I'm certainly not a fan of grunge either. But neither am I opposed to the term "hair metal" band as a synonym for "glam metal" band since evidently the two terms have come to be equated in general usage.

You seem to be agreeing, however, that Van Halen was a glam rock band. Yet you voted "No". Did you vote "No" simply because you don't like the term "hair band"? Would you be willing to describe Van Halen, Cinderella, Motley Crue and Bon Jovi all as glam rock bands then?

:huh:

Let me put it to you this way Fox.. The aftermath of name genre calling only has sparked "sides" when it comes to what ever you favor in a way of music.
To me it has to deal with the person's opinion I'm dealing with..
I've had this arguement before Grunge vs. hair Bands.. and it end up the same..
To me your missing the point by just asking the question.. "Are they a hair band"
It's like a insult if you ask me.. You just want to know if the person your asking that too is going to fly off the handle or just laugh in your face..
TAKE NOTE FOX, I'M NOT IMPLYING YOUR STARTING ANYTHING HERE..
I do understand your view of this whole stigma about the hair band thing..
But to me..It has nothing to do with personal taste in music..
It's just like I said who your dealing with..
I call BS on the whole genre thing..It divides music lovers..
The 80's were apart of the best years of my life and of course I'm going to be glad to admit I listen to Motley, Cinderella, Bang Tango, Bullet Boy's, Winger, White Snake, Poison, Etc..
I just don't need any one trying to tell me that music was junk or not worthy of being called Rock and Roll..
As for Van Halen.. I voted NO.. Because your right.. You called them a Hair Band.. That's a insult to me..:cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, Van Halen was a Hair/glam metal band.

Glam. which is actually a movement in rock not metal, came about because the performers used ambiguous costuming and encorporated a "shock value" to tasteless or campy onstage theatrics. Glam actually walked a fine borderline of being pop rock and their music sold like wildfire.

These bands weren't labelled "Hair or glam" because of the length or style of their hair, they were labelled "hair/glam metal" because of what they looked like on stage. The over done theatrics, the clothes and costumes. The Glam look was selling music, it became a marketing strategy, and metal bands were cashing in. Plus the audiences loved the look. The long hair was just a bonus....and people loved the long hair styles, especially women. It wasn't long before the vast majority of metal bands and rock bands all had long hair, it was the "signature hair length and style of the late 70's early 80's"

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I say no. To me Van Halen is no more a hair band than the New York Dolls or KISS. Sure, those bands all greatly influenced the rock of the 80's but that doesn't make them hair bands.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Thumper said:
I've had this arguement before Grunge vs. hair Bands.. and it end up the same....

Keep in mind that I always just rolled my eyes and stood aside from those interminable arguments. I had no dog in the fight.

:banghead:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Well no flannel lumberjack shirts for you this Xmas! .

:lols:
:heheh:

Actually, flannel shirts were in fashion in the mid to late 70's, very early 80's...so, grunge wasn't even original - that's how much Grunge sucked.

Keep in mind that I always just rolled my eyes and stood aside from those interminable arguments. I had no dog in the fight.

:banghead:

I can relate to that....that's why I kind of feel bad about saying negative things about Bret Michaels - but, I do find him to be a media whore that's gone too far. And I like a couple of Poison songs too - I really do - but not a big fan. But, that's ok - I don't think Thumper likes Lynyrd Skynyrd - so we're even.

:heheh:

but, getting back to Van Halen...

Van Halen was a hard rock band.

Again....the term ''hair band'' didn't exists when Van Halen was around.

If you want to say Van Halen influenced hair bands, fine...

but, they weren't a ''hair metal'' band like Poison and others were, it was more about the look, than the music.

Van Halen had an image no doubt, but they won the fans over with their music in the late 70's/early 80's before music became visual, with the birth of MTV.

Last edited:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Van Halen proto-hair band sort of the NY Dolls or Iggy Pop of Punk.

I always considered hair bands to be an 80's thing. Van Halen might have changed a bit in the 80's to fit the style of the hair metal bands tho.

either way not my cup of tea-begining to end VH :yuk:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online