• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Van Halen is like any other band, who at some point in their career, evolve and change images.

IMHO David Lee Roth is what made Van Halen a glam band, not the music. Roth is very theatrical and this is what made glam so great. It is not only the clothes but the stage persona. Dave loved to sparkle and shine.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't like the term "Hair" band at all, it is just too....insulting, like the bands music is secondary to the fact they are all young guys in their prime with long hair playing rock music.

Folk musicians, country artists, jazz players, classical musicians, rock and rollers, metalheads...one thing they all have in common, long hair.:grinthumb

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I've never considered Van Halen to be a "Hair band", a "Glam Metal" band or even a "Metal" band for that matter. To me they were just a classic 70's "Hard Rock" band, like Aerosmith and Ted Nugent.

I think the whole "hair band" label really began with Motley, Dokken and Ratt in '83-'84, and would later include Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and the like. But it wasn't just for having long hair, but long, teased and outrageous hair that their counterparts at the time (VH, Scorps, Def Leppard) just didn't have. Everyone wore Spandex back then, but just add heavy make-up, cheesy music and you have "Glam". :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I don't like the term "Hair" band at all, it is just too....insulting, like the bands music is secondary to the fact they are all young guys in their prime with long hair playing rock music.

Folk musicians, country artists, jazz players, classical musicians, rock and rollers, metalheads...one thing they all have in common, long hair.:grinthumb

:bow:

Yup...by much of the hair band reasoning, The WHO should be a hair band...due to Roger Daltry and his blonde hair...twirling mic...Pete smashing equipment....Keth and all his silly outfits...

4340251883_24eebbc37b_o.jpg

So my vote is no....and I see, understand and to some extent agree with the reasoning behind David Lee Roth's looks.. but if we were to judge Van Halen as a hair band because of this...The Who should be guilty of hair band status because of this guy.

5.jpg

Oh and Van Halen kick MAJOR B-hind btw!!! :cheers2 :grinthumb

and let's not forget....

john.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Let me put it to you this way Fox.. The aftermath of name genre calling only has sparked "sides" when it comes to what ever you favor in a way of music.
To me it has to deal with the person's opinion I'm dealing with..
I've had this argument before Grunge vs. hair Bands.. and it ends up the same..
To me your missing the point by just asking the question.. "Are they a hair band"
It's like a insult if you ask me.. You just want to know if the person your asking that too is going to fly off the handle or just laugh in your face..
TAKE NOTE FOX, I'M NOT IMPLYING YOUR STARTING ANYTHING HERE..
I do understand your view of this whole stigma about the hair band thing..
But to me..It has nothing to do with personal taste in music..
It's just like I said who your dealing with..
I call BS on the whole genre thing..It divides music lovers..
The 80's were apart of the best years of my life and of course I'm going to be glad to admit I listen to Motley, Cinderella, Bang Tango, Bullet Boy's, Winger, White Snake, Poison, Etc..
I just don't need any one trying to tell me that music was junk or not worthy of being called Rock and Roll..
As for Van Halen.. I voted NO.. Because your right.. You called them a Hair Band.. That's a insult to me..:cheers2

:cheers2 especially to what's highlighted! :grinthumb To me to come down on grunge out of defense is just as bad. We need to choose bands and not genres. :grinthumb

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
"Hair bands" was the derogatory term popularized by MTV in the 1990s and derives from the tendency among such bands to have styled their long hair".

So basically.. You can create a list of bands during the 70's and 80's and call them a "Hair Band" But the term was thought up and as above was a derogatory term used by the wave of Grunge fans..

Now wait a minute! You say that the term "hair band" is insulting yet in the "90's Hair Bands" thread you use the term to describe bands you like since you look for them:

Thumper said:
Banshee ROCKS Bro!! They are one of my friends on my space.. I try to find as many hair rock bands on there as possible....

:huh:

Last edited:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
METALPRIEST said:
So my vote is no....and I see, understand and to some extent agree with the reasoning behind David Lee Roth's looks.. but if we were to judge Van Halen as a hair band because of this....

But it's not just David Lee Roth when it comes to Van Halen. What about this guy?

eddie-van-halen.jpg

Where's his shirt? And was Eddie Van Halen not the very poster boy for guitar excess in the eighties?

METALPRIEST said:
... but if we were to judge Van Halen as a hair band because of thisThe Who should be guilty of hair band status because of this guy.

But look at this fellow:

article-1169306-01AC9E16000004B0-261_233x266.jpg

Doesn't Peter Townshend's nose act to offset Roger Daltrey's outrageous getups?

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Now wait a minute! You say that the term "hair band" is insulting yet in the "90's Hair Bands" thread you use the term to describe bands for which you look:

Once again I guess I need to clarify my explanation of how I deal with the term "Hair Band"
When addressing a fellow Metal fan, The term Hair Band describes the era and pretty much the difference the groups are compared to others..
It is insulting if I'm having a conversation with a Hair band hater who has nothing good to say and keeps trying to drive in his or hers afflection with 80's hair metal bands..
Believe me.. It gets insulting just to listen to the way the keep throwing names out there.. Jock Cock rock.. Frat Boy party music.. Spandex wearing Posers..NOT Worthy of being called Musicians..
That's when it get's insulting to me..
If I'm talking to a person who knows the "term" They already know the label is false and don't try to drive it home..
Savy Fox??
If you think I'm being Hypocritical and defending the insult.. I am in a round about way..
You can joke with friends and they don't take it personal.. But if the wrong person try's to make the same joke and you know they are a "Hater".. Then it's a insult..
And as for Foxy Page being so dead on with knowing her genres.. Well good for her.. She grew up with all the label calling so I'm sure it's just a way of thinking to her..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But it's not just David Lee Roth when it comes to Van Halen. What about this guy?

eddie-van-halen.jpg

What about him? What are you questioning? Maybe it was hot in that arena and he took his shirt off!

Guitar excess does not a hair band make.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online