Votes: 20 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aero

Reaction score
Yeah, Gene's a huge dick for speaking his opinion in a country where freedom of speech was something the founding fathers lived, breathed and died for, yet "freedom of speech" in this country is something that will get you publicly chastised if it's not the same opinion that some oversensitive, loudmouthed whiners disagree with. "freedom of speech is only ok if ~I~ agree with you, otherwise, you are a dick!" :rolleyes: The sad, pathetic hypocricy of it all is that the people in this nation that are constantly preaching "tolerance" are the most intolerable people around.

hv5fdl.jpg

Personally, I'd rather see someone say something that isn't necessarily popular rather than be one of the countless 'celebrities' (athletes, musicians, actors and hate-mongering "social leaders") that tells us how we should live, how we should feel, how we should vote, who we should vote for, who we should listen to and who we shouldn't, and what social and political causes we should support and condemn.... yeah, Gene's personal opinion is so much worse than the shit that spews from the mouths of so many others.

29g0ord.jpg

:rolleyes:

Could not agree more. Now, we have these "media mafias" that jump on you if you say the wrong thing. That's not the principle this country was founded upon. If someone wants to speak their mind and make an unpopular opinion, they should be allowed to do it. And the media and the people who control the media shouldn't manipulate citizens to think one certain way.

The whole "freedom of speech" thing in the US has become a joke nowadays.

I fear the day when/if we are all living and breathing to the exact same pulse.

The way I see it, we're not that far off from that reality.

PHP:

P.S. - My comments aren't about anything specific Gene Simmons said. It's about freedom of speech in general.

Last edited:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
He Said She Said

Freedom of speech is a luxury that is not meant to be abused. Voicing an opinion is fine but showing dignity, class and grace is not too much to ask of as well.

...and no I do not think Simmons is a complete d**k.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
^^Cute photos aside, yup, he's still a tool.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. Plus, did Gene just go on record saying that depressed people should kill themselves? I didn't actually read the article so I don't know much about it's ins and outs but I do remember seeing the headline.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Could not agree more. Now, we have these "media mafias" that jump on you if you say the wrong thing. That's not the principle this country was founded upon. If someone wants to speak their mind and make an unpopular opinion, they should be allowed to do it. And the media and the people who control the media shouldn't manipulate citizens to think one certain way.

The whole "freedom of speech" thing in the US has become a joke nowadays.

The way I see it, we're not that far off from that reality.

PHP:

P.S. - My comments aren't about anything specific Gene Simmons said. It's about freedom of speech in general.

I wish people would quit trying to defend bigotry and racism by using "freedom of speech". No one is trying to take away Gene's freedom to say what he wants to say. It's when the government tries to censor your opinions that freedom of speech becomes the issue. We all have the freedom to be as ignorant and bigoted as we want. We also have the right to call someone on their bigotry. Just because someone is "jumped on" for saying something ignorant doesn't mean their freedom of speech is in danger. Say what you want, just be prepared to take the heat if people disagree with it.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I wish people would quit trying to defend bigotry and racism by using "freedom of speech". No one is trying to take away Gene's freedom to say what he wants to say. It's when the government tries to censor your opinions that freedom of speech becomes the issue. We all have the freedom to be as ignorant and bigoted as we want. We also have the right to call someone on their bigotry. Just because someone is "jumped on" for saying something ignorant doesn't mean their freedom of speech is in danger. Say what you want, just be prepared to take the heat if people disagree with it.

Bob, when I bring up the freedom of speech thing, it's more aimed at the EXTREMELY biased and one-sided media and THAT is where the biggest problems lie. The media is controlled by a very small group of people who bend the truth and don't so much even report the news as much as report with a very slanted viewpoint. When the President gets involved in matters that have NOTHING to do with running the country, it's gone way beyond just someone saying something stupid and being called out on it.

I completely agree with your sentiment. I've long said that Freedom of Speech gives one person the right to say anything intelligent or stupid that they like, but it also gives me the right to tell them that their comments are intelligent or stupid. My problem comes from people speaking their mind and then being bullied into retracting their statements by the media and loudmouth mamby pambies whose fragile eggshell existences were gravely affected :)rolleyes:) by the comments that had been made.

Look at the comments that were made by Steven A Smith a few weeks back to which he was suspended from work at ESPN for comments that were twisted into something that was NOT actually said. The media even turns on their own whenever possible. In response, he ends up apologizing as if it were the worst thing he has ever said in his entire life. C'mon.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
So... back to Gene, sure he's a dick but no more so than many other people that have said FAR worse in front of the cameras for many, many years.

Put things into perspective. If we had 10,000 media outlets at the click of a button 40 years ago like we do now, if we had entire nations running around with cameras and video recording tools in their pockets like we do no, many of the classic rockers from yesteryear would be looked at in a VERY different light than they are now.

Example 1: (and not even a recent one), Vince Neil drives drunk back in the 80's, gets in a wreck and kills his friend and passenger. To this day, there are people on this site that will call out Vince for being a POS for that (which he is), yet at the same time, they are fans of Keith Moon who did the exact same thing, only it was his friend and bodyguard that he ran over while driving drunk. Keith is a legend and Vince is a turd. :wtf:

Example 2: John Lennon is one of the worst fathers in rock history. Treated his kids (especially Julian) like shit for most of his life. Gene Simmons, if you watch ANYTHING with him dotes on his kids like he does on his mom. They are the light of his life and he does everything he can as a father to treat them like a prince and princess. Gene's an asshole and John is a legend. :wtf:

C'mon. If Gene is a worldclass dick, then so is probably just about every other rocker from the late 60s into the 70's and 80's. We just didn't play by play commentary on their every thought and every move like we do now.

Aero

Reaction score

Why are you quoting me on that? I didn't mention anything specific in that post about racism.

It's when the government tries to censor your opinions that freedom of speech becomes the issue.

Who do you think the media outlets work for?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online