• No

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I separate the art from the person myself!

As a rule, I do too, but there has been some cases where I cannot deny that a person behind the art has influenced my enjoyment of the art negatively, more so the older I get - mostly we are talking extreme cases though. Gene is not one of them. In addition, to be honest, bands that become my absolute favourites tend to be bands that I find sympathetic beyond the music. Therefore, to some extent, these things do go hand in hand, although I try to focus and judge only the music.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
As a rule, I do too, but there has been some cases where I cannot deny that a person behind the art has influenced my enjoyment of the art negatively, more so the older I get - mostly we are talking extreme cases though. Gene is not one of them. In addition, to be honest, bands that become my absolute favourites tend to be bands that I find sympathetic beyond the music. Therefore, to some extent, these things do go hand in hand, although I try to focus and judge only the music.

I didn't know Paul was an animal lover, and a vegan, or that he knows how to ride horses, when I started to listen to him. I guess I got lucky. :D

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I didn't know Paul was an animal lover, and a vegan, or that he knows how to ride horses, when I started to listen to him. I guess I got lucky. :D

Yeah, I'm not saying I have to agree with everything a band/an artist does, nor do we have to have a million things in common, but it does give the band/artist some extra points in my book, if the band/artist has similar values and especially if those values are reflected in the music.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Yeah, Gene's a huge dick for speaking his opinion in a country where freedom of speech was something the founding fathers lived, breathed and died for, yet "freedom of speech" in this country is something that will get you publicly chastised if it's not the same opinion that some oversensitive, loudmouthed whiners disagree with. "freedom of speech is only ok if ~I~ agree with you, otherwise, you are a dick!" :rolleyes: The sad, pathetic hypocricy of it all is that the people in this nation that are constantly preaching "tolerance" are the most intolerable people around.

hv5fdl.jpg

Personally, I'd rather see someone say something that isn't necessarily popular rather than be one of the countless 'celebrities' (athletes, musicians, actors and hate-mongering "social leaders") that tells us how we should live, how we should feel, how we should vote, who we should vote for, who we should listen to and who we shouldn't, and what social and political causes we should support and condemn.... yeah, Gene's personal opinion is so much worse than the shit that spews from the mouths of so many others.

29g0ord.jpg

:rolleyes:

And as I've said it many times before, YES he can be a real asshole, but then again, so can almost every walking, talking, breathing person on earth. At least those of us in first world nations.

Don't like an opinion, that's fine. We don't all need to agree, and thankfully we don't all agree. I fear the day when/if we are all living and breathing to the exact same pulse.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not saying I have to agree with everything a band/an artist does, nor do we have to have a million things in common, but it does give the band/artist some extra points in my book, if the band/artist has similar values and especially if those values are reflected in the music.

I liked John first, then I saw Paul do an interview and his sense of humour "caught me," and never let go. :D

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I get the feeling that Gene tends to work the audience, by saying things that he knows will provoke and create reactions. He talks a lot of crap and there's a lot I do not agree with, but on the other hand, I've also seen him show a lot of sensibility in some interviews, so it's hard to really judge the guy. A lot of it is a facade and he certainly comes across as a dick, but I don't think he's the complete asshole he often pretends to be.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I get the feeling that Gene tends to work the audience, by saying things that he knows will provoke and create reactions. He talks a lot of crap and there's a lot I do not agree with, but on the other hand, I've also seen him show a lot of sensibility in some interviews, so it's hard to really judge the guy. A lot of it is a facade and he certainly comes across as a dick, but I don't think he's the complete asshole he often pretends to be.

It's funnt that the controversial ones I've never heard from his own mouth. They are mostly stories or articles passed around. If I see him talk on TV he seems pretty mild mannered and easygoing. I'm not a fan enough of him to look for him on TV but when I've seen him he seems just like any other celebrity. Like I said for me to call him a dick would go by occasion like "Why the Hell do you feel the need to say that you dick!" :heheh:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I think too many people on here are making a YES vote based on what they see in him from TV. Keep in mind Gene is not a booze hound, He's a business man like all the rest who keep his investments alive.
Like Lynch say's there are far more self centered loud mouths who wear to "Dick" crown in my book
My list of "dicks"

Al Sharpton
Jessee Jackson
Donald Trump
Perez Hilton
The Papparazzi ( probably Misspelled )
Axel Rose
Ronnie Montrose
George Bush Jr.
Dick Cheaney
Donald Rumsfeld
Bill O'Reily
Rush Limbaugh

I could keep naming people I've seen make a total dick out of themselves on TV.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually my yes was based on his remarks. I stand by mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online