Illegal Music Downloading

RobQuise

Reaction score
I normally think your are on point, but here huge generalization. A very small percentage of musicians are on the huge labels. I personally do not get any promotion from my record company. My record company barely has a office. I fortunately have a great manage who is contstantly getting me great shows and some tv and radio appearences. I personally have a home studio where i do all my recording. As do must musicians in the DC area which has huge diverse indie scene. We unfortunately have been scarred by recent mainstream success like Good Charlotte and All Time Low so all the big record labels are looking for bands that sound like that when they come down here to look for talent. Radio play sucks around here. There main rotation consists of linkin park, AIC, Peral Jam, Nirvana, STP and Radiohead.

You are absolutely right. My post was focused on major record labels because people who complain about labels are usually talking about the big four. It takes a lot of money to promote artists. Most independent companies don't have the money to successfully promote their artists. I am glad to hear that the people you have working with you are helping you get exposure.

RobQuise

Reaction score
Where I shop most CDs are in the $15 to $30 range. I believe that is too expensive especially when I was buying vinyl between $4 and $8 before CDs were on the market. Actually most of the Vinyl I bought was used. There was never an issue about that before. The Record industry promised to bring down the prices of older artists. They didn't. I like having the actual CD but I cannot find every CD I like at an affordable price.

Where do you shop that sells CDs for $15 to $30? Do you live in the U.S.? Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon, and a ton of other retailers sell new CDs for $10 and under. Many older artist's albums are cheaper then newer ones at those places.

RobQuise

Reaction score
Well let see, most artists have to pay for their own recording time at a studio from money out of their own pockets. Many artists cannot afford that so they record from home using a computer programmed recording studio or just a small 4 or 8 track machine.
Actually in today's market 98% of the artists I like are ignored by the major labels. They may be signed by one of the big labels but get zero or little promotion.
There are some artists who were small time that have gotten big through word of mouth, internet discussion and forum boards and other ways of exposure via the internet. Many artists who were successful with large concerts and heavy rotation on the radio are penniless thanks to unscrupulous record companies and deceptive managers and copyright holders. There is a lot of corruption in the music industry.
Actually

I am talking about artists that have had big success in the music industry. How many artists do you know that have had big success without the help of a major label somewhere in the success chain? I agree that there is a ton of deception and greed in the music industry. In terms of recording it is possible to record a very good sounding album at home, if you really know how to use the software. 98% of the music that most people listen to (big sellers) is still made in multimillion dollar studios with professionals running the equipment.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Magic wrote:

I spend way more than 10 dollars on a concert

My idea of a concert is on DVD and costs less than 10 bucks and you get the whole thing from a Kick Butt angle! :tongue: Those other concerts you refer to are only Amplifier contests to see who has the loudest! :tongue: They should be renamed to "Amplifier Contests!" :tongue:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Where do you shop that sells CDs for $15 to $30? Do you live in the U.S.? Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon, and a ton of other retailers sell new CDs for $10 and under. Many older artist's albums are cheaper then newer ones at those places.

Not all old CDs at Best Buy are $10 or less. I was recently there and picked up the Essential Robin Trower at $13.99. Not a bad price but not great either. However I also saw that they had a bunch of old UFO CDs. No Heavy Petting, Obsession, and some others. These albums are 30 years old and all were priced at $18.99 or more. It'***** and miss with prices at all the stores you've named. Wal-Mart here recently had Motley Crue's Too Fast For Love selling for $17.99. But at the same time, AC/DC's Highway To Hell was $9.99. I can't figure pricing out. Both albums came out roughly the same time, 3 years apart or so, and yet an $8 difference.:wtf:

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
Of these two choices what would you prefer?

I download two of your albums illegally, like them, and buy a third one.

Or

I decide your music is not worth the risk, as I cannot hear enough to decide if I like it or not.

I can see your point but if you download 2 albums illegally, what's to stop you from downloading the 3rd? You've already rooked the artist in question for 2, why not 3? It's a slippery slope in my opinion. I'm not saying you would do that, but there are plenty of others who would and do that very thing.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
I recently found out that songs i did with my old band Last Audio were available on file sharing progams like limeware. I was flattered that people liked my stuff enough to share it without paying, but also I know that it was money that i was not making because of it.

Here's my problem with that argument. You say you know that was money you weren't making, but that assumes that all the people who downloaded your record would have bought it if it wasn't available. In reality, most of them wouldn't have bought it anyway. So thanks to downloading, they have now heard your music and hopefully liked it which increases the likelihood that they will show up to one of your shows and maybe buy some merch. They may tell a few friends about your record and bring them to the show as well. So on the one hand downloading cost you a theoretical small sum of money. On the other hand downloading just made you a fan who may not of heard your stuff otherwise and who is now more likely to spend money on you in the long run.

My personal take is that I don't download from file sharing sites. But most of that is fear of all the sh*t you open your computer up to when you use those sites and part of it is fear of prosecution, even though chances of that are remote. I do rip tons of stuff from friends and the library, which I suppose is the same thing.

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Here's my problem with that argument. You say you know that was money you weren't making, but that assumes that all the people who downloaded your record would have bought it if it wasn't available. In reality, most of them wouldn't have bought it anyway. So thanks to downloading, they have now heard your music and hopefully liked it which increases the likelihood that they will show up to one of your shows and maybe buy some merch. They may tell a few friends about your record and bring them to the show as well. So on the one hand downloading cost you a theoretical small sum of money. On the other hand downloading just made you a fan who may not of heard your stuff otherwise and who is now more likely to spend money on you in the long run.

My personal take is that I don't download from file sharing sites. But most of that is fear of all the sh*t you open your computer up to when you use those sites and part of it is fear of prosecution, even though chances of that are remote. I do rip tons of stuff from friends and the library, which I suppose is the same thing.

Your arguement is very valid. Thanks Tiny Tim/ My perspective has change now some

Zombeels

Reaction score
Most stuff I buy is the newer Indie stuff. When I lived in Calgary several albums I wanted were $34. Remastered albums from the 60's usually go for at least $20. I want the Album California by The Lassie Foundation. Amazon is selling it for $22.95. That doesn't include shipping and taxes. I just looked at 10 titles I want and nearly everything is selling for $18.95 or more, (one was $12.95) before shipping and taxes, on Amazon. I usually buy things used at my local pawn shop or record store or used on e-bay.

I think it is insane to but CDs at those prices and I feel it is morally wrong to buy them at the amount.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Most stuff I buy is the newer Indie stuff. When I lived in Calgary several albums I wanted were $34. Remastered albums from the 60's usually go for at least $20. I want the Album California by The Lassie Foundation. Amazon is selling it for $22.95. That doesn't include shipping and taxes. I just looked at 10 titles I want and nearly everything is selling for $18.95 or more, (one was $12.95) before shipping and taxes, on Amazon. I usually buy things used at my local pawn shop or record store or used on e-bay.

I think it is insane to but CDs at those prices and I feel it is morally wrong to buy them at the amount.

I believe the law states that it's not only morally wrong to take music without paying for it - it's just plain illegal. It really is that simple. You're allowed to feel robbed but.... what are ya gonna do about it, eh :heybaby:

The price of a new cd really doesn't enter into it. Do you have the money or not. Do you want to spend that money buying a cd at the price stated on the cover or not. If one or both is 'no' then you're legally not able to hear that cd.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrecisionRiskAsse

Members online