How Music 'Awakens' Alzheimer's Patients

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
music is the only stimulus known to activate the entire human brain.

Very touching video!

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Yeah, this is really great stuff! I posted a video in my journal that is quite similar to the one you posted, but was unedited.

The power of music is truly amazing! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It sure is! They should use this type therapy more often in nursing homes.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
My father's in severe-stage dementia - I'm not quite certain in what ways it differs from Alzheimer's - he doesn't have a clue who I am and remembers virtually nothing from his life.

Dad was into polkas like we're into rock - I wonder, if I played some of his polka cds for him, if it would trigger ANY memories at all. My siblings and I used to call him 'the polka king' because of his love of polkas and his awesome vinyl polka collection - which, even tho we lived in the suburbs, he wasn't afraid to play full-volume on his 'hi-fi' every Saturday and Sunday morning. The neighbors never complained, but we kids sure did!!

Frankie Yankovic was one of Dad's favorites:

Too Fat Polka...Frankie Yankovic

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@analoggal You should give it a try. It's not going to hurt him and just imagine how good you would feel if he DID respond to the music :grinthumb

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
My Gram was 93 when she had a stroke, and spent her last days (weeks, actually), in a state of 'unawareness', I guess. It wasn't really a coma.

She always loved music, and played the piano, and my grandfather would tap dance.

Anyhow, I'd come in every other day or so, and hold her hand and talk to her. One day I brought in a small cd player with all the stuff we'd dance to with her when we were young.

When 'The Twist' came on, she squeezed my hand. I knew from then on, even though she couldn't speak, or move, she was there and heard everything I was saying.

Wow. That's the first time I ever told anyone that.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
My Gram was 93 when she had a stroke, and spent her last days (weeks, actually), in a state of 'unawareness', I guess. It wasn't really a coma.

She always loved music, and played the piano, and my grandfather would tap dance.

Anyhow, I'd come in every other day or so, and hold her hand and talk to her. One day I brought in a small cd player with all the stuff we'd dance to with her when we were young.

When 'The Twist' came on, she squeezed my hand. I knew from then on, even though she couldn't speak, or move, she was there and heard everything I was saying.

That's awesome. :grinthumb

I read this book called Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. Although itwasn't quite what I thought it would be, it was really interesting how there are truly some people out there who have no feeling for music at all and it ends up sounding like a complete cacophony to them.

While others literally have a symphony going on in their head every waking moment, to the point that it disrupts their lives.

musicophilia.jpg

bohohippybeatnic

Reaction score

That's a beautiful story. Sorry about your grams. Sorry to anyone else who's lost a loved one. I recently lost my Grandfather and I think of him always but especially when I hear classic Cuban music or true(not pop) latin music(most of my family is Cuban). He had a little bit of dementia but not as bad as you guys are describing(thank God). All this goes to show how powerful music really is.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online