Green Day Sell Outs?

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I don't get that part about Green Day not using their fame for good. They just donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross for Haiti relief. They also provide a link on their site to the ARC and encourage people to donate. Maybe it is not the same as organizing an expensive concert but at least the money is going directly to those who need it.

Katrina relief: Green Day's Billie Joe, Jason White and their families put music to one side to join forces with a New Orleans charity helping people left homeless by Hurricane Katrina. They volunteered in the Louisiana city, rebuilding houses destroyed by the August 2005 storm. They also recorded a song with U2 with the proceeds going toward replacing musical instruments lost by musicians in Katrina. The band also contributed a prerecorded performance to the Hurricane Katrina Benefit relief event on September 10, 2005 from their performance the prior week at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts. The televised portion (shown on MTV and VH1) showed the trio performing their single "Wake Me Up When September Ends."

Green Day are also involved in a lot of other ongoing charity work...they just don't blow their own horn about it. Just wanted to clear that up.

Ah thanks for the info.

Still I do not consider them punk and their broadway musical b/s still says sell out to me.
Good to see they have a human side.

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I am staying out of the other debate over the definition of punk rock, but I have to jump in on this one...

to be a poseur you would have to claim to be something youre not, right?
I don't ever remember GD claiming to be punk rock... and I don't know a lot of people that described them as a punk rock band... until American Idiot... which they were dubbed punk by a group of fans...that when in my punk phase I got into many arguments(and some physical debacles) by calling some of these people caiming that Green Day was a punk band:heheh:
in my eyes, just a good rock n roll band... simple and fun... did they need to stay that way.... no.. and they didn't more power to them, they never claimed to be a punk rock band soo... no poseurs

They actually did consider themselves punk rock.
They have said that putting Good Riddance on ****** was the most punk thing they could do.
They consider themselves punk.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
ComfortablyNumb!

Boy Fox, seems like you are picking a fight at this point.... Your "boy do you ever go down easy" comment is extremely childish.

It's a bit late now for a "holier than thou" attitude. You might have given some consideration to not picking fights before pecking these gems in for me to read earlier in the thread:

So I think you are way off and do not know a thing about punk rock.

Would you like to conitnue?

I think you need a history lesson of punk rock.

...I can not argue with some one who does not know anything about punk rock....

Did you not consider how provocative these words were at the time you posted them? But of course you don't even think before you post, do you? You just let the words flow and then resort to damage control later.

Your counter points have nothing to do with my posts....

Nonsense. I like to actually address your posts point by point. You just respond by resorting to name calling.

Since I did not mention the Pistols bringing them up into the conversation is pointless.

Well since I hadn't mentioned the Clash, bringing them up into the conversation was pointless. (See how silly that point is?)

Oh and please show me where I said I THINK PUNK ROCK IS.

No, you just said what punk was not, and it just so happened that the Clash demonstrated that characteristic. Or have you conveniently forgotten that you said punk bands cannot be signed to a major label?

My definition of punk rock - musical freedom, but not selling yourself to make more money. Meaning selling out.

That may be a definition of what you think a punk band should be, or more probably it's a romantic ideal you've set out to embrace personally, but what it's assuredly not is a definition of punk.

Punk was a musical movement of the seventies that set out to carve out its own market niche through annoying/offending those who had embraced the flower power movement (mostly punk rockers' elder siblings) by spurning the artsy fartsy excesses that had crept into rock and reembracing the high energy two and a half minute single. Notice I said market niche. Punk bands didn't eschew commercial success. They rather hoped to carve out their own lucrative market sector.

The Clash a punk band, the Sex Pistols a media created punk band that said **** you to everyone.

The key to punk was minimalism. The less a band had to say, the better. Punks didn't want to lay on the message like Bob Dylan or Joan Baez; that was for the old fart hippies.

Like I said with Nirvana. They were punk IMO....

Nonsense. The critics initially called Nirvana hard rock, then they called Nirvana grunge, but whatever the critics were saying, Nirvana wasn't punk. Punks aren't allowed to whine a la Kurt Cobain. And "angst" isn't something that any self-respecting punk can even pronounce.

Like a said there is a difference between posuer and sell out. Learn it.

Before calling others "ignorant" and telling them to learn the definition of a word like "poseur", you might first learn to spell it correctly yourself.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
ComfortablyNumb!

It's a bit late now for a "holier than thou" attitude. You might have given some consideration to not picking fights before pecking these gems in earlier in the thread:

You don't even think before you post, do you? You just let the words flow and then resort to damage control later.

Nonsense. I like to actually address your posts point by point. You just respond by resorting to name calling.
I said you need to brush up on punk rock since you are way off on what is punk and what is not punk. If you want to see the "gems" I will gladly pull those out in a PM so we do not spam up the comment section with pointless banter at this point. That is what it is becoming.

Since I did not mention the Pistols bringing them up into the conversation is pointless.
Well since I hadn't mentioned the Clash, bringing them up into the conversation was pointless. (See how silly that point is?)
It is not silly at all since you said there were no classic punk bands that played benefit shows smart ass. Or did you conveniently forget that?

No, you just said what punk was not, and it just so happened that the Clash demonstrated that characteristic. Or have you conveniently forgotten that punk bands cannot be signed to a major label?
No I did not. I said what people think. Again you try putting words into my mouth.

That may be a definition of what you think a punk band should be, or more probably it's a romantic ideal you've set out to embrace personally, but what it's assuredly not is a definition of punk. Punk was a musical movement of the seventies that set out to carve out its own market niche through annoying/offending those who had embraced the flower power movement (mostly their elder siblings) by eschewing the artsy fartsy excesses that had crept into rock and reembracing the high energy two and a half minute single. Notice I said market niche. Punk bands didn't eschew commercial success. They hoped to carve out their own market sector.
Wrong that is what your definition is. Punk rock is a rock music genre that developed between 1974 and 1976 in the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia. Rooted in garage rock and other forms of what is now known as protopunk music, punk rock bands eschewed the perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. They created fast, hard-edged music, typically with short songs, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY (do it yourself) ethic, with many bands self-producing their recordings and distributing them through informal channels.

By late 1976, bands such as the Ramones, in New York City, and the Sex Pistols and The Clash, in London, were recognized as the vanguard of a new musical movement. The following year saw punk rock spreading around the world. Punk quickly, though briefly, became a major cultural phenomenon in the United Kingdom. For the most part, punk took root in local scenes that tended to reject association with the mainstream. An associated punk subculture emerged, expressing youthful rebellion and characterized by distinctive styles of clothing and adornment and a variety of anti-authoritarian ideologies.

By the beginning of the 1980s, faster, more aggressive styles such as hardcore and Oi! had become the predominant mode of punk rock. Musicians identifying with or inspired by punk also pursued a broad range of other variations, giving rise to post-punk and the alternative rock movement. - Wikipedia.

The key to punk was minimalism. The less a band had to say, the better. Punks didn't want to lay on the message like Bob Dylan or Joan Baez; that was for the old fart hippies.
Never said it was not about minimalism.

Nonsense. The critics initially called Nirvana hard rock, then they called Nirvana grunge, but whatever the critics say, Nirvana wasn't punk. Punks aren't allowed to whine a la Kurt Cobain. And "angst" isn't something that any self-respecting punk can even pronounce.
Wow you are arrogant. Black Flag talked about it angst, lonelyness, so did the Wipers. Grunge is a whole other thing I could get into. Nirvana was punk sorry to burst your bubble.

Before calling others "ignorant" and telling them to learn the definition of a word like "poseur", you might first learn to spell it correctly yourself.

:rolleyes:
When ever some one tries to bring spelling into the argument or debate they obviously have nothing more useful to say. Yes you need to learn the definition of the word because you are ignorant and confuse sell out and poseur.

Thank you Fox for being an ass when you clearly picked a fight. Sorry if you pick up a tone in my writing when there is not any, but now there is.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
When ever some one tries to bring spelling into the argument or debate they obviously have nothing more useful to say.

That's a treasure I reserve for those who call me "ignorant".

Good night. Talk to you tomorrow. When it comes to typing speed, you really do have me beat.

:D

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
That's a treasure I reserve for those who call me "ignorant".

Good night. Talk to you tomorrow. When it comes to typing speed, you really do have me beat.

Haha. I like treasure. Like I said I did not mean it as a slight I meant it more as what I see your knowledge of the genre. To me you are ignorant on the subject of punk rock.

Not saying you are an ass or anything like that haha.

May be a bit of a smart ass but so am I.

Have a good one Fox.:cheers:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Aw... look how well they get along:heheh:

I just popped in to say don't let the debate go into personal insults, you have been keeping it civil so far, I don't want to see any heads rolling out of the thread though:D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I said you need to brush up on punk rock since you are way off on what is punk and what is not punk. If you want to see the "gems" I will gladly pull those out in a PM so we do not spam up the comment section with pointless banter at this point. That is what it is becoming.

We can always continue our learned discussion of what punk is and what it is not in this thread:

Was punk necessary?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online