Green Day Sell Outs?

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I like all their stuff, personally. I don't buy into this whole "selling out" business. I liked the type of music Greenday were playing before, I like the type they are playing now.

Except that both "Jesus In Suburbia" and "21 Guns" to me sound like rip offs from Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" and Mott the Hoople's "All the Young Dudes" respectively.

But aside from that, they're one of the better recording artists of the current era.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I like all their stuff, personally. I don't buy into this whole "selling out" business. I liked the type of music Greenday were playing before, I like the type they are playing now.

Except that both "Jesus In Suburbia" and "21 Guns" to me sound like rip offs from Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69" and Mott the Hoople's "All the Young Dudes" respectively.

But aside from that, they're one of the better recording artists of the current era.

:love:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

Agree :grinthumb

Reaction score
we have a smiley for that Soot:tongue:
:zzz:

haha

I don't think the responses were to what I said, but just because they "sold out" on their image, doesn't mean their music got any worse... they just make good music for the wrong reason IMO
It really doesn't seem like they are in it just for the fun of slamming an instrument around, making it sound cool, making cool simple songs, and funny videos... they seem to want more of the "perks of the industry" and you can hear they are trying to go with what they think people want to hear

I saw an interview with Frampton and he said this about his career right after Comes Alive...(it isn't word for word, I'm going from memory, but its the genreal idea)

"After I released Comes Alive I wanted to keep people happy because it sold so well, I tried to do the exact same thing again, but there isn't any room to grow by doing the same thing. This was the low point of my career creatively because of the excesses I was enjoying and I wasn't playing music for myself anymore.. I wasn't putting what I wanted on the records, I was putting what I though the fans wanted, when in the end it didn't matter, they didn't want to hear it anyways"

I got it as close as possible to the interview I saw.. and that is what I think happened with Green Day as well... it's not like it is bad music, it isn't as creative or a care free as their early, it sounds like they are just trying way too hard...

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I disagree Eberg! I don't think they flexed much creative muscle until American Idiot! I like Dookie the best probably partly out of nostalgia from my teen years but really it was mostly pop punk songs about masturbation, being a slacker and "rebellion"! American Idiot strung together songs like they meant something and tried to be ambitious and epic! It's their most creative and artistic work period in my opinion! :grinthumb

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I disagree Eberg! I don't think they flexed much creative muscle until American Idiot! I like Dookie the best probably partly out of nostalgia from my teen years but really it was mostly pop punk songs about masturbation, being a slacker and "rebellion"! American Idiot strung together songs like they meant something and tried to be ambitious and epic! It's their most creative and artistic work period in my opinion! :grinthumb

I thought American Idiot sounded so pretentious and like they were trying to be something they weren't... as simple as their music was it was their music, you knew it was Green Day, for American Idiot, it probably didn't help that it was played to death, but it just wasn't right.... they were such a fun band, but then it was just like "lets be punks!" and they decided to record the political tunes and all that... it's not bad music, it just isn't Green Day

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I thought American Idiot sounded so pretentious and like they were trying to be something they weren't... as simple as their music was it was their music, you knew it was Green Day, for American Idiot, it probably didn't help that it was played to death, but it just wasn't right.... they were such a fun band, but then it was just like "lets be punks!" and they decided to record the political tunes and all that... it's not bad music, it just isn't Green Day

Evolution and change fits any band that truly loves playing and creating music therefore Green Day will be Green Day throughout their career even if they get the urge to explore and release a polka album! O.K., I'll leave it alone Eberg! :heheh: We'll agree to disagree! :grinthumb

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Evolution and change fits any band that truly loves playing and creating music therefore Green Day will be Green Day throughout their career even if they get the urge to explore and release a polka album! O.K., I'll leave it alone Eberg! :heheh: We'll agree to disagree! :grinthumb

Green Day was fast pop punk with very sarcastic lyrics, evolution and change fits any band when they want it too. Especially when the dollar signs show up.
When you do it to make more money and lose the actual idea of what punk rock truly is you lose your integrity and there for become a sell out.

New Green Day IMO is media garbage that really is nothing special. Their old stuff was great.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online