Green Day Sell Outs?

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Dookie was a classic pop punk album. I also enjoyed Warning. American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown just make me want to throw up. There are songs on 21st Centruy Breakdown that sound like 50's pop. The performance of "21 guns" on the grammys was a disaster. First of all they had the cast from the upcoming American Idiot Broadway show sing a great deal of the song. Which doesn't make sense because the song is not meant to be sang by a polished broadway singer. I don't know how much money Green Day will get from this Broadway show but, it discusses me just how much they have sold out

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I have all of them...I think American Idiot & 21st Century are both a huge step forward. :grinthumb

I love all of it mind you but I don't want them to ever roll it backwards...keep doin' what they're doin'.

I don't hear 50's Pop....good melodies though.

The only time I scratch my head is when I hear something very familiar...and I try and figure out what song it reminds me of or what they borrowed a piece from. There are many influences throughout.

Jesus of Suburbia even has a section taken from Motley Crue...this is pretty wild and so over the top obvious but very cool.

You'll hear this at 1:51

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
They seem to be getting a lot of good reviews in the rock press... but they've never made any impact on me. I liked the first song and video off the debut but... more because it was a nice little song. Not like it changed my world or anything. Which I believe good rock music should :D

Reaction score
I thought they sold out with American Idiot, but it is still listenable... it sounds pretty good, even the new album, but just have to try not to think of their "image":D

Warning did make a big impact on me... and I have Dookie on cassette:)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love Green Day...I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the band. The saying comes to mind, "a band has gotta do, what a band has gotta do"

:greenie:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I love Green Day...I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the band. The saying comes to mind, "a band has gotta do, what a band has gotta do"

:greenie:

I could not have said it better myself. 21st Century Breakdown is sheer genius.

:cheers:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I dunno if Green Day has sold out or not, but I definitely think they should turn in their punk rock card. They don't sound like punk rock to me anymore and that is even within the constraints of pop punk. They're just "rock" to me these days without "punk" proceeding it. That said, I don't much care for "21st Century Breakdown" that much honestly and I'm tired of "American Idiot". The latter was good when it came out, but keep in mind that it came out at a time where I almost solely listened to the radio so I got pretty fed up with it's songs because they were WAY overplayed.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
I can listen to Green Day but like mentioned by previous posters, they didn't change my life the way the Beatles, Stones, etc did.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
They never were a true punk band. They have always been pop punk. Their last good album IMO is ******.

Saying they sold out is debatable, but one of the main factors of a punk band is DIY. Obviously they did until Dookie came out.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online