Re: Great "Best of" Bootleg Site

Thanks for the link! Do you agree with the ranking? :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Bootlegs are recordings of a band live, or practice sessions, or even tracks that the artist didn't intend to release. Bootlegs were not released by the artist. Some bootlegs are very professionally produced and packaged!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

The best Bootlegs are always done when the "Sound Engineer" splices a direct feed from his board to a recorder, usually Reel to Reel, although nowadays a laptop might be the best choice. You get almost studio quality from this kind of bootleg, unlike some which are just done by someone holding a microphone and recording the concert.

An old friend of mine collected 100's of bootlegs, one in particular was terrible, a Tom Petty concert, and the sound was the worst I have ever listened to. But some of his others were very good, of course those were all vinyl albums, perhaps things have changed for the better now as far as quality goes.

I never collected bootlegs as a rule, I always bought the studio release back in the day.;)

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the link! Do you agree with the ranking? :D

I only skimmed over the list. I think the Dylan is too high, but plenty of listeners crave his stuff. It's pretty subjective.

I find great stuff on Guitars101.com and there are many other sites with non-copyrighted bootlegs. I have also found excellent finds through my Limewire searches. I might snag close to twenty shows on a good night.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

The best Bootlegs are always done when the "Sound Engineer" splices a direct feed from his board to a recorder, usually Reel to Reel, although nowadays a laptop might be the best choice. You get almost studio quality from this kind of bootleg, unlike some which are just done by someone holding a microphone and recording the concert.

An old friend of mine collected 100's of bootlegs, one in particular was terrible, a Tom Petty concert, and the sound was the worst I have ever listened to. But some of his others were very good, of course those were all vinyl albums, perhaps things have changed for the better now as far as quality goes.

I never collected bootlegs as a rule, I always bought the studio release back in the day.;)

I knew of a guy (and many others like him) who had stereo microphones running under their clothing up into their baseball caps in the same spot the ears catch the sound. Those binaural recordings added the reflections that put you right in the seat. Of course you also get the crowd noise, which board tapes have much less of, if any.

I listened to one of the final shows of Pink Floyd's Animal Tour during lunch today.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

I like the energy of live shows over studio recordings in most circumstances.
Of course, back in the earlier days, all studio stuff was done live.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

Bootlegs are recordings of a band live, or practice sessions, or even tracks that the artist didn't intend to release. Bootlegs were not released by the artist. Some bootlegs are very professionally produced and packaged!

I read that Zeppelin's manager was really tough on tapers, and smashed a piece of equiptment one show that turned out to be a municipal sound level meter. Despite his efforts they are one of the most recorded bands ever.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

I'm listening to the Rolling Stones "No Security" show from Toronto.
This seems to be a commercial bootleg, which is becoming more common.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online

No members online now.